Ladies Bike Recommendations

ryangus

Ladies Bike Recommendations

Postby ryangus » Wed May 17, 2017 8:08 am

Looking for a bike for my 5'3" wife, ~$500. Mostly bitumen, but occasionally dirt trails.

On another forum I was told to steer clear of hybrids, as it was suggested they're not great at either bitumen or dirt, which surprised me a little. So, should I get her a MTB, knowing it will handle anything she throws at it, or still consider a hybrid? Also, what wheels/tyres - 700, 29" 27.5 - all a bit confusing.

There's so many options these days, which is good but confusing (just like the modern life!). Polygon, Totem, Merida, Reid etc, etc all have what appears to be good deals on paper, but hard to differentiate.

Ultimately, links to suggested bikes would be very appreciated.

bychosis

Re: Ladies Bike Recommendations

Postby bychosis » Wed May 17, 2017 9:35 am

ryangus wrote:Also, what wheels/tyres - 700, 29" 27.5 - all a bit confusing.

There's so many options these days, which is good but confusing (just like the modern life!). Polygon, Totem, Merida, Reid etc, etc all have what appears to be good deals on paper, but hard to differentiate.
700c = 29" just depends wether you are talking about MTB (fat tyres) or road/hybrid (skinny tyres) which term is used.

There is a reason there are so many similar options on the market. There is a price point all the companies have decided they need a bike in. Typically they build them much the same and sell for much the same. Some of the bigger brands have a label factor added so the lesser known brands can provide better value components for the same price point. At the end of the day it comes down to how the bike feels and colour choice as the 'value' overall is the same. Some will have better gears, some better wheels etc.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ryangus

Postby ryangus » Wed May 17, 2017 9:59 am

Thanks for the reply. Do you have an opinion on hybrid versus MTB for the intended purpose?

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed May 17, 2017 10:27 am

ryangus wrote:Thanks for the reply. Do you have an opinion on hybrid versus MTB for the intended purpose?
It all depends on how rough and extensive the dirt trails are. People rode long distances on rough roads on steel frame "ladies" bikes back in the day - and they still can.

If you are talking about dirt roads suitable for normal motor vehicles, or rail trails, or unsealed bike paths then a hybrid with medium sized tyres (say 32 - 35mm) will cope easily and will be comfortable. A hybrid will have the advantage of not having the heavy front suspension fork. A hybrid will also be easier to ride on the sealed roads.

If you are talking about riding on rough dirt tracks, then an MTB with front suspension will cope better. But it will weigh more and the knobby tyres will make it slower on the sealed roads and paths.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed May 17, 2017 1:42 pm

ryangus wrote:Looking for a bike for my 5'3" wife, ~$500. Mostly bitumen, but occasionally dirt trails.

Ultimately, links to suggested bikes would be very appreciated.
This will of course depend on your wife's personality, but my main advice is make sure she likes the LOOK of it as much as the feel of it. This may be a generic gender-based comment, but my wife loves her bike because of how it LOOKS, as much as how it rides. She found it herself on Gumtree and scored a modern $500 Mongoose ladies bike in perfect condition for $120. Saving money also makes her feel less guilty when she doesn't ride it :)

My daughter is the same - she likes her bikes to look cool and grown up. My son doesn't care, to him a bike is a tool that enables him to ride, but my daughter would honestly ride less if she hated the look of her bike.

If I'd gone out and bought her something that I'd thought was practical, sensible and well priced, but she didn't like the look of it, she wouldn't have ridden it.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 17, 2017 2:03 pm

RobertL wrote:
ryangus wrote:Thanks for the reply. Do you have an opinion on hybrid versus MTB for the intended purpose?
It all depends on how rough and extensive the dirt trails are. People rode long distances on rough roads on steel frame "ladies" bikes back in the day - and they still can.

If you are talking about dirt roads suitable for normal motor vehicles, or rail trails, or unsealed bike paths then a hybrid with medium sized tyres (say 32 - 35mm) will cope easily and will be comfortable. A hybrid will have the advantage of not having the heavy front suspension fork. A hybrid will also be easier to ride on the sealed roads.

If you are talking about riding on rough dirt tracks, then an MTB with front suspension will cope better. But it will weigh more and the knobby tyres will make it slower on the sealed roads and paths.
Yes, there is a significant difference between one person's definition of a dirt trail and another. I'd say, unless you are looking at a trail you wouldn't let someone with weak ankles walk on you'll be happy with a hybrid. Once you start getting rocks/tree roots/ruts/deep sand on a trail that's when MTB is worth it. If your 'off road' adventures are a small portion of your riding a hybrid will do.

Also consider what you will be riding along side. No point getting your wife a road biased design if you are riding a proper MTB unless you are fit enough to make up the difference. No point getting your wife an MTB if you'll only be riding road tyres and can't join her off the track.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ryangus

Postby ryangus » Wed May 17, 2017 2:05 pm

Thanks everyone - I think a hybrid would be a good choice.

Anyone have a better suggestion than this? https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/hybri ... /102935505

ryangus

Postby ryangus » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Been a bit distracted, so still looking for a bike. Just to clarify:
After some advice for the following situation:
  • Female rider
  • 5'4"
  • Good fitness
  • Mostly bitumen, with occasional off-ride use
  • General riding with young kids, occasional commute, ducking down to the shops, weekend camping
  • around $500
What are your thoughts on:
  • Type of bike (hybrid,MTB?)
  • Wheel size/tyre type
  • Suspension
  • Disc brakes
  • Carrying baskets
  • Mudguards
  • Brands
  • Suppliers (online or bricks and mortar in Brisbane)
  • Minimum price I should spend

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:43 pm

Realistically, what are the likely percentages of riding going to be on sealed vs unsealed/rough roads?

If it's 90% sealed and 10% rough, will she really want to lug around the extra weight and knobby tyres of a mountain bike 90% of the time, just so she can ride in plush comfort for the 10%?

If it's 50/50 or even 70/30 maybe a MTB would be worth it.

Of course, you could get a MTB but get the bike shop to swap the standard 2 inch wide tyres for some 1.5 wide so she'll have a frame and components that can handle anything, tyres that roll well enough for sealed surface riding, but still wide enough to not be useless on gravel etc.

Or get tyres that have knobs on the side, but are smooth down the centre?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:05 am

Avoid front suspension, or any suspension. It just adds weight.