When buying a bike, floor model or fresh from the back?

mvets

When buying a bike, floor model or fresh from the back?

Postby mvets » Sun May 21, 2017 9:01 pm

I'm wondering if you're supposed to get a new bike assembled when buying from a LBS or just get handed the floor model that's on display. Any extra negotiating leeway if they only have the floor model left? I know there's not much difference but it seems nice to get something new.

mikgit

Re: When buying a bike, floor model or fresh from the back?

Postby mikgit » Mon May 22, 2017 12:00 am

woudn't think you'll get a discount until its model runout time. For me makes no difference, if I'm buying a bike and it's there on the floor I can walk out with it, more important than waiting a day or so for it to be built.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon May 22, 2017 12:37 am

depends on the store, some will have the bikes built and on the floor others won't have built it yet and just have 1 on the floor.

all 3 bikes i purchased came off the floor.

worth a longer look i guess, not that i did. If they allow test rides on the floor stock then I might be a bit more cautious.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Mon May 22, 2017 10:52 am

Both bikes ive bought ive asked for a fresh built model from the box, MTB was in stock but had to wait a week for the roadie for the LBS to get one in as I wouldn't buy the floor model. If its a network/franchise type store I cant see it being an issue as there getting bikes shipped in all the time. Still, I dont think its necessary but if your a pedantic individual like me it was essential.

... you know those ones, when picking something off the shelf at the shops will always go from the back. Thats me :oops:

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Mon May 22, 2017 3:47 pm

Having worked in a bike shop many moons ago, I would always take floor stock. We tried to have one of each size colour built up and when it was sold someone else took it back into the workshop and gave it a full check over. The one occasion we sold one and had to assemble it on the spot for the buyer, a mistake was made and it was back next day with an angry buyer.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon May 22, 2017 6:48 pm

Depends on the shop, but particularly with smaller shops that simply don't have the space to hold vast quantities of stock, if the one on the floor is your size, that's the one you get. Typically they might have one of each of the most common sizes in stock, but only one built, and with different spec models using the same frame, have an example of the different models each in a different size to cover the range.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Mon May 22, 2017 9:37 pm

My MTB was on the floor when I checked it out and bought it.
Didn't even think about getting a new one built, to me it looked like I was the only one that had ever ridden it. I did test ride it outside, I'm sure other people must have too. I was happy that it was as good as freshly built, got to checkover the whole bike for any scratches/damage that I would not have been happy with. Walked out the same day a happy chappy.

My road bike was an in stock un-built item. The floor bike of the spec I wanted was a size too big. I test rode an upper spec version of the same bike to check sizing then they had to build 'my' bike once it put $$$ down and picked it up a week later.
So essentually I had never seen it prior to purchase. Not good for my nerves lol, I'm a bit picky like Jawa ha ha. And had to wait for it :(