Would this group fit the aldis bike
Or
Buy a used cell frame and fit to it
Thanks in advance
Greg

Arbuckle23

Re: Aldis bike

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:10 pm

I have an Aldi bike, although it is my backup nowadays. Done 3000 km on it without issue.
I did convert it to Durace 7800 later on, but I scored that for free and could fit it myself for no cost.
So you can convert to 10 speed group, or 11 if you change wheels if you wish, but probably best to ride it like it is and upgrade to a better bike later if you wish. You would be over capitalising

Great beginners bike, just ride it with the Claris, it works well.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:11 pm

I'm going to hit 9,000km on my Aldi bike tomorrow, and I'm no beginner.

Mine is my primary bike, and fitted with a rack, mudguards and hub dynamo lights it is a very useful bike.

I think a lot depends on whether you perceive the bike as a tool, or sporting equipment. At $400 new they were fantastic value for money.

There's no immediate need to upgrade the groupset unless you have a particular reason to.

The changes I have made:
I put spd pedals on, to suit my commuting shoes. I put 10spd shifters (and cassette) on, because I have other 10spd bikes and consistency means easy spares/replacements. I replaced the FD at 8,000km because it broke. I had to rebuild the rear wheel at 2,500km because I was breaking spokes. I also replaced the saddle because I didn't like it. I have also replaced the usual stuff that wears out, chains, tyres and brake pads.

Cheers,

Cameron

Big daddy

Postby Big daddy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:13 am

Thanks Cameron and artbuckle
I have texted the bloke a message to look at it and am waiting for a response

Greg

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:21 pm

The Aldi bike is fairly heavy while it is good value for money - I think the energy and return on value of upgrading to Ultegra will be negligible... you should upgrade the wheels as well and may as well get a second hand, slightly older model carbon fibre frame or a nice steel frame.
Cycling is in my BNA

Big daddy

Postby Big daddy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:57 pm

Had a look at bike
Wanted 380 but would come down to 350
He has used it 5 times as he started triathlons and has upgraded to a felt carbon
It comes with original rims with gator skins and
A set of training wheels
Told him I would check with the wife
Looks ok
Was thinking of offering 250

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:31 pm

Doesn't sound like a bad price if the tyres are new. And depending on what the training wheels are.

Big daddy

Postby Big daddy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:51 pm

The gators were a big positive
Training wheels were alloy didn't get a brand
I will give him a ring next week

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Considering the end result, unless you are keen to tackle it for the challenge (not to mention the cost of tools if you don't have them) - for the same cost (second hand bike & second hand groupset) you could get a second hand bike with 105 or maybe ultegra which is 5 - 15 years old for the same cost but have a better overall bike (weight & performance).

I rode (and reviewed the Aldi Crane Road Bike) so it is a good complete bike for the price... the new price was $399 and to clear stock it dropped to $349 and then $299.

As a used bike, the minute it is sold the resale value drops - while it was great value for money, a second hand price which is that close to the original sale price is a big ask.

In summary, the Aldi bike is a good bike for what it is, but I question the value of upgrading the entire groupset.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

Big daddy

Postby Big daddy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi Chris
There is a caad 4 saeco with ultegra
Ebay 440 or offer
I know caad 4 is old but it looks cool
But saying that the aldis bike may be a better option , sell after a few years and ask the bank manager my wife for a synapes

Big daddy

Postby Big daddy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:38 pm

Missed out on aldis bike
still looking at caad 4 saeco team bike
I like it
Just have to work on the bank manager a bit more

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:38 pm

The Caad 4 is nice though it is now an older Aluminium bike (with Carbon fork). The thing about aluminium is that it generally has less compliance that steel or carbon fiber. While often there is talk about stiffness, in reality you need stiffness in the right places and a carbon fiber fork, for example, gives you compliance - i.e. it absorbs shocks (minor shock like road noise) through flexibilty.

So while you have a CF fork and if it is in good condition, the price is good - however Aluminium is rigid and over time can get issues with the material performance which you don't get from steel or which you 'in theory' don't get from carbon fiber. Steel has the property of retaining most of its strength if damaged whereas Aluminium fatigues and even a dint will make it a throw-away.

New aluminium frames like the Aldi bike will give you a good stretch of time so is a better bet than old Aluminium bikes. Carbon Fiber in contrast technically lasts an eternity, in reality the resin is an unknown factor, carbon tech is improving and for second hand you have to look closely for cracks while some frame problems can be invisible. But because carbon is younger - generally you can get a second hand carbon fiber bike that will give you better performance - this is also due the fact that carbon fiber was also a higher priced segment and on the market you get good carbon fiber bikes which people are trying to sell but without a big market because the cost of mid-level carbon bikes has become so affordable.

It doesn't make it easier for buyers... but whatever the bike and material, look carefully at the quality and judge the cost of any repairs / upgrades and don't feel stuck because there are always new bikes coming on the market.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

Big daddy

Postby Big daddy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:31 am

Thanks Christopher much appreciated

Big daddy

Postby Big daddy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:36 pm

Hi Christopher
I found a cannondale black lightning
It cost me $50 an am over the moon
Serial number is 65808890055

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:39 pm

It will get you out there. Probably a classic because of the age. Two important things to check with older bikes:

Tyres
You probably need new tyres. Other ones degrade and for your safety, get a set of new tyres on. For comfort you can go for 25mm wide tyres which will give you more comfort.

Brakes
Check them - the brake pads possibly also need to be swapped. Over time they can also degrade and you don't want to find that out on a downhill at the moment you need braking power.

Both of these changes can be easily done yourself - along with a clean up and tuning it all nicely. Enjoy!
Cycling is in my BNA

Big daddy

Postby Big daddy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks for the reply Chris
The tyres are only about a 20 or 21 mm
I will check the rims and see if 25,s will fit the rim
She looks like a hot woman under all the dust it was love at first site

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:05 pm

Big daddy wrote:Thanks for the reply Chris
The tyres are only about a 20 or 21 mm
I will check the rims and see if 25,s will fit the rim
She looks like a hot woman under all the dust it was love at first site
25's will fit the rim without question, they both have the same 622mm bead diameter. What you will need to check is how much clearance there is available:
1. under the brake bridge
2. behind the seat tube
3. between the chainstays.

Some time ago skinny tyres were thought to be fast, and companies made bikes that would only take skinny tyres.

Cheers,

Cameron

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Further to the above, 23mm tyres will fit OK, and will offer some improvement in ride over 20 or 21mm "pizza cutters". You will need to check the frame clearances for 25mm, because some frames & forks won't take them!
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Big daddy

Postby Big daddy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Just a quick update
The bike came with 25 tyres according to a catalogue
Will order some maxxis 25,s on eBay
Ordered some cable holders off vintage cannondale
Went to lbs today
Rear wheel is 7 speed hoping to upgrade to ultegra at least
Back of frame is about 130 mm
Mechanic said because it is 7 Speed i can only go to that
So will look around for tiagra down tube shifters derailleurs front and rear and crank with square bottom

Big daddy

Postby Big daddy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:14 pm

Quick update
Cable guides arrived from vintage cannondale very nice
Put the rear suntour sl rear derailleur on my steel bike so it is complete and ready to ride
Bought a suntour edge rear derailleur from the states on eBay to finish the cannondale off
Will get 2 maxxis refuse 700 x 25 tyres and tubes and new chain
I broke the old one getting the sl derailleur off
I will finish it off with gold metallic jagwire outer cable and shimano m530 peddles
I am looking at having it finished in a few months as I want to enjoy the steel bike with suntour sl running gear