Argon 18 Krypton - To Buy or not to buy

techsupport

Argon 18 Krypton - To Buy or not to buy

Postby techsupport » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi,

Anyone have any feedback on the Argon 18 Krypton? Selling at Bike Bug for $2499.00
Is that a bird or a plane? 8)

Derny Driver

Re: Argon 18 Krypton - To Buy or not to buy

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:35 pm

I don't own one, nor have I ridden one, but from what I have heard, Argon 18 make good bikes. The specs on that bike are quite good for $2500. I wouldnt pay $3000 for it, but $2500 is a fair price. And if you want something a bit different from everyone else, they make good bikes.
In my opinion.

jpgibson

Postby jpgibson » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:27 pm

I had an old one- carbon/aluminium.First real road bike.Excellent.Canadian company but made in Taiwan I think.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:47 am

I bought the frame set in 2015 and built it up with mixture of 105 and Ultegra. I had a problem with the seatpost slipping no matter what I tried, I mean it would drop like 10cm suddenly, not much fun. I ended up replacing the carbon seatpost it came with with a Zipp Alu post and the clamp with a Hope one. The clamp they specified was an odd size, so I replaced it with a standard size 0.1mm smaller, everything fit okay and it doesn't slip anymore. The newer ones have different size posts and normal size clamps so you would hopefully have no issues, just something to think about.

Mine has a BSA bottom bracket the new one is BB 86, up to you what you like, I don't like pressfit. The frame is generally quite comfortable but very stiff when putting the power down. I had an old Alu Trek before and have found very steep climbs easier because of a lack of frame flex, I think due to their HDS it is meant to be stiff without being harsh, seems to work all right but it's not a magic carpet ride because of this. I found when I put Fulcrum Quattro LG (wide) rims on it made a big difference to comfort. It decends well and I would put the handling as neutral, it's not the lightest bike in the world, but not heavy either. The headset it comes with doesn't seem to be well sealed and I'm not sure about replacements as it is bigger than normal due to the 3D headset, seems to be holding up ok though. I do get the odd sensation of movement at the end of braking slowly on a bump sometimes and I'm not sure what it is, I think it is to do with my handlebars and brake levers flexing and not the frame at all, something I've never had before, it may be to do with the HDS, don't notice it under normal breaking at speed.

I generally like to have bikes that are rare and I've never seen another one, which is a plus for me, they ride well and are relatively comfortable without being spectacular, they were once described as the Audi's of the road bike world, up to you what you make of that. I like my Krypton anyway, I'll get a picture on here when I get the chance.
No signature

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:42 am

I have one of the first-gen Nitrogen and just love it. The TRP brakes I could do without, but you won't have that problem with the Krypton.

The build quality is excellent and is a perfectly balanced frame for me.
However the fork is a little flexy, but I'm unsure if the Krypton has the same issue.

I say go for it.