Apollo road bikes

rp

Apollo road bikes

Postby rp » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:47 am

Hi all

I snapped the handlebar on my old Giant road bike which is now 8yr old. She's been pretty reliable and has travelled very far but I feel that an upgrade/replacement is due. I am coming from aluminium and sora components (giant defy 2) so pretty much anything is an upgrade. I like to commute with my bicycle with the odd recreational long ride. I may replace my old bike's handlebar and use as daily commuter.

What do you guys think about Apollo bicycles, specifically:
*Apollo Ascent 2016 (mix of dura-ace and ultegra) http://www.apollobikes.com/bikes16/carb ... VEbnpKGMuU
*Apollo Ultra (ultegra)? http://www.apollobikes.com/bikes16/carb ... VEdv5KGMuU
I hope my new bike lasts another 8 years.

Budget is 2-3k (lower is obviously better)

Cheers!

ldrcycles

Re: Apollo road bikes

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:12 am

Apollo bikes have a solid reputation, i haven't had any carbon ones but have owned several aluminium ones with no issues.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:50 am

I have a 2013 Vispo which is their entry level carbon. Frame is open mould to the best of my knowledge, it's definitely no lightweight but it soaks up the hits nicely. Not had any problems with it.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:22 pm

Mate had a Vispo, it was a nice bike. Those bikes you've picked have a decent all-rounder looking frame so not too aggressive geometry wise. At the end of the day Apollo will have their frames churned out from one of the Giant/ Merida mega factories so they'll be similar to a lot of other brands. It'll come down to what gear they have screwed onto them/ price comparison considerations. Get out on a test ride on one if you can if you are serious about it.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

rp

Postby rp » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:15 am

Thanks guys

I am going to check them out tomorrow in-store. You've given me some confidence in the brand.

Cheers!

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:56 pm

A riding buddy has an Apollo Elite (?). I cannot keep up with him. The bike must be AMAZING! :lol:

He has done heaps of klm and he is not flash at maintenance.

rp

Postby rp » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:23 am

Hi Guys

I ended up buying an Apollo Ascent - 2016, dura ace shifters, full carbon for $2000. It was down from $4k apparently. Anyways, I would have preferred to have picked up the ultegra Di2 for $2700 but they were out of my size.

I will update with how it goes, but I'm pretty happy with the purchase!