Towball mounted rack

ChrisR24

Towball mounted rack

Postby ChrisR24 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:14 am

I've been trying to find a rack for my car to take 2 bikes. I've got a towball mount on the car, so ideally I'd like to get a rack that can work with that, but the key feature I want is to be able to use it with and without a trailer attached. From my searches I seem to only turn up examples that takeover the towball mount completely, so it's either the bike(s) or the trailer, not both.

It's not practical for me to use a roof rack or boot mount.

Can anyone suggest anything that might work for me?

Thanks.

ball bearing

Re: Towball mounted rack

Postby ball bearing » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:36 am

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:17 am

Thanks for that. I have to do some measurements, but I think I might have some issues with space for the trailer hitch.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:33 am

As well as space you might also want to think about the total weight on the towball.

Another option is to mount the rack to the trailer, eg
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:46 am

towball removable?

I use one of these

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:44 pm

The only issue with that one is that it looks like you have to take it off if you need access to the boot? Otherwise, it looks ideal. I wonder if there's a variant that offers some folding capability for boot access?

Edit: Towball is removable, so is the bar, of course.
Last edited by ChrisR24 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:49 pm

find_bruce wrote:As well as space you might also want to think about the total weight on the towball.[/img]
That is a very good point. I suspect though the rack+bike weight should be ok, even though my e-bike isn't light.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:51 pm

ChrisR24 wrote:The only issue with that one is that it looks like you have to take it off if you need access to the boot? Otherwise, it looks ideal. I wonder if there's a variant that offers some folding capability for boot access?
The rack comes off easily as the base place is seperate, its the base plate the stays permanent.

So you want to access your boot, whilst having two bikes on the rack, whilst having a trailer attached to the tow ball?

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:14 pm

When you say it like that it sounds unreasonable. :)

I can accept when the trailer is attached that I may lose the folding function and access to the boot - it would be a reasonable compromise. When it's the car + rack alone though, it would be much more convenient to have easier boot access as well.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:36 pm

ChrisR24 wrote:When you say it like that it sounds unreasonable. :)

I can accept when the trailer is attached that I may lose the folding function and access to the boot - it would be a reasonable compromise. When it's the car + rack alone though, it would be much more convenient to have easier boot access as well.
Im assuming its a hatch like boot where the whole door swings up and out, rather than a sedan boot which is smaller? if the latter id say you can still access your boot.

Foldable racks exist, but the swinging mechanism is usually where at the point where towball sits, so you cant use a trailer.

Cant say ive seen an exposed tow ball foldable rack.

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:50 pm

SUV boot style, so like a hatch, yes.

I may need to use 2 solutions for this problem - which is annoying but not completely unexpected.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Like what find bruce suggested, get a suitable rack, then work out how to mount it on your trailer too. I guess that won't work if you are planning on hiring the trailer though.

I had one like jaseykase posted, but only used it once with a trailer, was too hard getting the bikes to fit neatly around the trailer draw bar. Moved to a platform type, but the for camper trailer trips mounted the rack up above the draw bar with a post and cradle arrangement.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.