New Helmet

Arbuckle23

New Helmet

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:37 pm

It's a pity a search on helmets here just brings up the MHL thread, I can't find anything in recent times regarding buying helmets.

I am keen on getting a new helmet to look suitably stylish on my road bike 8) :D
My existing helmet, whilst still OK, won't cut it at the cafe. I had it prior to becoming a serious roadie, it is white with green highlights and doesn't match my bike or kit.
What are all the cool kids wearing?

I did go and try on a Kask Mojito and did like everything about it, except the cradle hitting the arms on my glasses (not sunnies) Not sure that it will work for me.

In all seriousness, whilst I am a little tongue in cheek, it is important that you are happy with how your helmet looks as well as all the other things like fit, comfort and doing the job when your head may hit the deck.

Keen for recommendations on helmets of all brands and styles.

RobertL

Re: New Helmet

Postby RobertL » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:14 pm

I have a Giro Foray. It's not the dearest or the cheapest. I tried a few on in the shop where I bought it - of different makes and models. It was the one in its price range that fitted the best. (I have a large head, and a couple of the others sat on top a bit too much.)

It came in a couple of different colour choices, so I went with the black and red because it is the closest match to my bike and kit.

I think that they mostly all give about the same protection should the worst happen.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:16 pm

Louis Garneau P-09. You'll be the most popular guy at the café.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:23 pm

P!N20 wrote:Louis Garneau P-09. You'll be the most popular guy at the café.
May be a bit warm when the sun returns :)

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:53 pm

Fit matters. Go to a shop, try some stuff on and buy something decent that's comfortable. Bonus points if it's visible.

FWIW, I'm really happy with the couple of MET Rivales I'm using at the moment. My Specialized S3 is ok, but not perfect - never seems to sit straight and the fit is good enough but not amazing. My old Giros and my Rudy are all terrible (all too short from front to back), but strangely my Rudy TT lid is comparatively good - strange. This advice, however, is useless to you because your head isn't my head and your fit is unique.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:18 pm

march83 wrote:Fit matters. Go to a shop, try some stuff on and buy something decent that's comfortable. Bonus points if it's visible.
I will be trying on to make sure the for is good. The Mojito is super comfy, just the issue with the glasses.
Just looking for peoples experience with different brands really.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:32 pm

have a Mijito, easily the most comfy I've ever had (doesn't interfer with my glasses/sunnies though). Also have a Giro Xar and Aeon (or something like that), both good, but not as good as the Kask.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:53 pm

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... gro-50290/

:D

I commute in a Giro Foray, weekend warrior mode is Kask Protone.

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Rudy Windmax (fluro yellow model) weighs nothing, most soft & supple straps, excellent ventilation, highly visible looks great IMHO I own two of these - both 4 years old and remain like new.

Met Stradivarius (solid yellow colour model) is a very close second, chin strap is not as supple and can rub my beard a little if worn for hours on end. Owned for 8 years and ridden heaps, still in excellent condition- have not yet used the 2nd set of pads for this one.

I'd re-purchase either/both of these if required without hesitation.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:05 pm

march83 wrote:Fit matters. Go to a shop, try some stuff on and buy something decent that's comfortable.
THIS!! You can't see your helmet when you're wearing it (if you can it's the wrong fit!), so "style" is a very low priority. If it doesn't fit comfortably, you're going to hate wearing it.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

panosk

Postby panosk » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:49 am

LAZER Z1 with the aeroshell cover

Stylish
Very good ventilation without the aeroshell
Keeps the elements (cold, rain) away with the aeroshell
Light
Can improve aerodynamics with the aeroshell
...each turn of the pedals, every single meter gained, hurts...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:23 am

Duck! wrote:
march83 wrote:Fit matters. Go to a shop, try some stuff on and buy something decent that's comfortable.
THIS!! You can't see your helmet when you're wearing it (if you can it's the wrong fit!), so "style" is a very low priority. If it doesn't fit comfortably, you're going to hate wearing it.
Plus one. Try them on, pick the most comfortable first, then the style you prefer, then the colour. I've been lucky my head suits the mid range helmets best. I did buy an Aldi one as a backup and it fits, but appears shorter than my better helmet and squeezes my head a bit front and back but has plenty of width.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:38 am

One of the issues is finding a shop that has a good range to try on. They seem to have limited brands and limited range & sizes in those brands. I have looked in a couple of the larger retail shops and struggled to find ones that fitted well.

As I said, my initial impressions of the Kask Mojito were very good, felt nice on my head. I will go back with my sunnies and glasses I wear when darker (and my cool weather skull cap) and have another try. A bloke at work has a Vertigo and I will try that as well.
Pushies has some Vertigo 2.0 helmets on special at the moment.

Supplementary question. I have been thinking of white for being seen, but does that really have an effect? I ask as some of the specials are black, to get cheap pricing, you sometimes have to compromise.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:47 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:It's a pity a search on helmets here just brings up the MHL thread, I can't find anything in recent times regarding buying helmets.

I am keen on getting a new helmet to look suitably stylish on my road bike 8) :D
My existing helmet, whilst still OK, won't cut it at the cafe. I had it prior to becoming a serious roadie, it is white with green highlights and doesn't match my bike or kit.
What are all the cool kids wearing?

I did go and try on a Kask Mojito and did like everything about it, except the cradle hitting the arms on my glasses (not sunnies) Not sure that it will work for me.

In all seriousness, whilst I am a little tongue in cheek, it is important that you are happy with how your helmet looks as well as all the other things like fit, comfort and doing the job when your head may hit the deck.

Keen for recommendations on helmets of all brands and styles.
I had the same problem with Kask Mojito many years ago. Just get a POC Octal, excellent helmet. Great comfort, good ventilation in summer conditions too. The octal also has some highly reflective sections at the back of it that aren't obvious unless light is shining on them.

Edit: Octal Aero is pretty nice as well in white: http://www.pocsports.com/eu/octal-aero/10610.html

But it might not be so good for ventilation.
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:49 am

Black sounds hot in summer.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:50 am

I can highly recommend the Specialized Airnet, it's like a slightly heavier / less refined version of the Specialized Prevail. It fits my large head like a glove, and is one of the few M size helmets that fit me! Merino padding doesn't get as funky as the coolmax padding, plenty of adjustment, etc. I also love the Lazer helmets after having several of the Genesis model previous to the Airnet. I was planning to buy the Z1 but the M was too small and the L was too big for some strange reason.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

slowK

Postby slowK » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:59 am

+1 on trying. I was all set to spend ~$300 on a swish new helmet (Laser Z1 or Giro Synthe), but after trying on a few, ended up with a $65 Giro Revel instead. More comfy, I am unaware of it when I ride.

The new Bell Zephyr and Stratus helmets look good though. MIPS may or may not be an extra safety feature you want - these seem to integrate MIPS nicely rather than just tacking it on.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:56 pm

hamishm wrote:Black sounds hot in summer.
Unlikely to make much difference considering that it is made out of a material like they use for insulation
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:
Supplementary question. I have been thinking of white for being seen, but does that really have an effect?
From my own perspective and experience when driving, no. The helmet is a fairly small part of the overall size of the rider, so its colour does not make all that much difference out in the wild.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:20 pm

And if the thing doesn't fit frontways put it on back to front for a try. See that a fair bit out my way. :)
Mine is a fifty dollar special from Anaconda. it fit and didn't hurt and is 2 years in use now without a problem.

I must say though, that some folk do have problems with a good fit. I know mine is very light model. Limar 535 Superlight.

I have to add the obligatory "it saved my life"....I filled it picking mushrooms one day and it was very handy.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:41 pm

My Aldi helmets fit me well. I don't see the point in spending more than that.

Cheers,

Cameron.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:39 pm

Tempted by the Kask Vertigo 2.0 . Tried a mates today, as comfy as the Mojito and the rear cradle bit seemed to clear the glasses better. Can get a colour that matches my bike as well 8) :P

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:33 am

Ended up buying a Mojito, I sorted out the glasses issue by trying one on with with my sunnies and was all good. The Jawbreaker arms sit OK
I have sorted the night glasses issue by getting a clear lens (with magnifying inserts) for my Foakleys (Jawbreakers as well).