Upgrade / rebuild

Kade

Upgrade / rebuild

Postby Kade » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:11 am

Hi I have a Merida Speeder 10. Does anyone know if any of the components on this bike changeable / upgradable? eg brakes, gearing etc.
I live in the hills and find this bike sluggish in gear changing and slightly heavy. Understandably most would not upgrade an entry level bike such as this but though if it were an option I could as a project.
Any advice on parts/ components or anything else would be greatly appreciated.

eeksll

Re: Upgrade / rebuild

Postby eeksll » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:54 pm

sluggish gear changing can either be gritty cables or worn cassette/chain.

All those components wear out due to normal use and are expected to be replaced as part of normal maintenance.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:25 am

Pretty much everything is upgradeable - if you want. I'm not an expert, but I don't know where to start without knowing what componentry is on your bike now. Do you have a list of specs? If you don't have one, you can always find one on the internet if you know the make, model and year of the bike.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:36 am

Kade wrote:I live in the hills and find this bike sluggish in gear changing and slightly heavy.
Well, how long is a piece of string? everything is upgradeable.

Perhaps start with what you perceive is the problem with your bike. Is it too heavy/gears shift poorly/gearing is wrong/handles poorly/brakes poorly/uncomfortable to ride for long periods/poor grip in the wet/can't carry stuff...

"Sluggish" gear changing is usually a maintenance issue; with cable cleaning & lubrication simple and cheap.

"Slightly heavy" is easily fixed. Start by taking everything off you don't need, then look at your budget and what you want from your bike and decide. A good truism is "strong, light, cheap - choose two".
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.