Anyone have opinions/ experiences with the Merida Speeder series?

vbean108

Anyone have opinions/ experiences with the Merida Speeder series?

Postby vbean108 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:50 pm

Hi,
I am looking for a commuter bike and visited my local 99bikes store yesterday. The salesperson recommended the Merida Speeder 100. It seems pretty good but I am fairly new to cycling and haven't heard much about it online. Does anyone have any experiences with the speeder series? I am also looking at rhe Trek Fx2 or Fx3 so which would be a better pick between these three?

Thanks in advance!

Usernoname

Re: Anyone have opinions/ experiences with the Merida Speeder series?

Postby Usernoname » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:06 am

I'd check out the Trek Fx 3 and Specialized Sirrus Sport along with the Merida. You may be able to get a deal on 2017 bikes atm. Stick with disc brakes if you have hills and or planning on riding in all conditions (rain). Bike shop sales staff will generally try and sell you what they have in stock which may not be the best for you. Try a few stores and sizing if you can and make up your own mind - don't trust the salesperson to give you advice, although there are some good ones.
And personally I prefer a flat bar roadie for commuting like you are looking at rather than a drop bar - feel so much safer in traffic.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

amy

Postby amy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:36 pm

Same situation for me as well.

confused between Merida speeder 100 2018 and Giant City Cross 1 Disc 2018

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:04 am

Check out Polygon at bicyclesonline - I have one of their dropbar bikes for commuting and it is pretty good and amazing for the price. I feel you will get a lot more bang for your buck than with a merida or giant.

strom3233

Postby strom3233 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:15 pm

Merida Speeders are decent bikes. I have a Speeder 500 and have owned a 200. I sometimes ride this bike on 100klm+ bike rides.

If your budget allows get a hydraulic disk version. I run 700x25c on it as a commute bike. If you upgade your wheels to mavic aksium disks the bike is capable of 40klm+ on flat roads with cycle apparel on and maximum effort.

For what you get compared to other bikes in the flat bar genre its hard to beat. Especially now that Merdia has decided to install carbon forks on Speeders below the Speeder 500 model in 2018. The speeder 400 is the pick of the bunch I think with a 105 groupset.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:54 pm

I've owned a Merida Crossway 100 hydro disc, and then a Merida Speeder T3.
They were my first 2 bikes.
I bought them from 99 bikes (when I didn't know better).
They are okay bikes, but the best bike for you is the one you like best.
Most shops will let you test ride the bike for a fair bit (not just around the block or carpark).
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:36 am

I’m a sucker for cool names for bikes. Merida Speeder rhymes do it is probably good.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:28 am

I have a Merida speeder 500. I specifically wanted a flat bar, I had a drop bar carbon roadie and hated the position, everyone is different.

I looked at lots of options and was interested in the Giant full carbon range of FBRs but it came down to a few things but mainly comfort and aesthetics in the end. Merida seems to me to have a more traditional bike frame shape, which I prefer.
The bike is great, I love it and very happy with my choice. I have no trouble doing 50k plus...it might not be as fast as other road bikes but it’s not just the bike that gets you there is it!
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:02 pm

I took a Merida 500 for a spin around the block at a local 99 Bikes.
Too hybridish for me - too upright.

However the 500 is well equipped. The 900 even a little bit more so - full Ultegra groupset.

If I was after a Speeder I'd also make sure of hydro discs.

The Merida pricing is very competitive compared to other brands with respect to the level of equipment.
Speeder 900's come fully Ultegra - Most other brands are at 105 or Tiagra for the same price level - some with cable discs.

Sales people mentioned that rim brakes are history. Almost everything new will be disc.