Advice - looking to buy a commuter (Sydney)

RideItMyPony

Advice - looking to buy a commuter (Sydney)

Postby RideItMyPony » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi all

I haven't really ridden a bike regularly in probably 8 or 9 years. My current bike is a heavy, clunky, very rusty (will need a good deal of work and replacements before I'm comfortable riding it I think) Malvern Star mountain bike I bought when I was a teenager. I am now a grown man and want something to better suit my age/style and for more regular commuting (rather than getting it beaten up all over the place like I used to with that one).

I want something that will give me a couple of great years of work. Preferably something with a few gears (given Sydney, and I want to not limit myself to the flatter inner city suburbs), and something fairly basic looking, light and reliable. I think I prefer flat bars (given I'm not planning massive trips) but could be swayed to drop if people think it's worth it.

I'm 180cm tall and about 76kg. I was planning on going to a few bike shops just to see about size, but I'd like the classic sort of look (e.g. Fuji or Lekker - but those brands are pushing my budget and not sure how they hold up...

Budget is probably $600 or so (much less if second hand, but can do a bit more if I need/worth - i see it as an investment in my health/enjoyment/wellbeing).

Any other advice would be welcome (number of gears, etc)

Thanks

tez001

Re: Advice - looking to buy a commuter (Sydney)

Postby tez001 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:11 pm

What type of bike are you looking at? Mountain, Hybrid, Road / CX?

I'd rule out mountain bikes with suspensions as they add weight for a whole lot of nothing.
Couple of sites worth looking at are Reid, Cell and Polygon.

I know Cycleworld in Concord are also having a sale so you might be able to get something on special.

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2017- ... -city-bike
https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2017- ... -city-bike
https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polyg ... bike~63450

RideItMyPony

Postby RideItMyPony » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:17 pm

tez001 wrote:What type of bike are you looking at? Mountain, Hybrid, Road / CX?
Sorry I didn't realise I wasn't clear on that! I'm looking for a road style commuter I think. Definitely not the mountain style. Something to be ridden around the city that is easy, light weight, not too flashy or big and bulky :)

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:44 pm

FBR (flat-bar roady) might fit the bill. On price, there is a lot of competition. For your budget, it will be an aluminium frame with 2x10 gears. At your size, there are lots to trawl through on Gumtree and you will get better value, but miss out on the showroom advice.

Why not ask around. I lent just such a bike to a mate about 6yr ago. I guess he still has it.....
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.