Tyre deterioration

Top_Bhoy

Tyre deterioration

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:45 pm

There are currently special offers on tyres at c r c and I've just bought a pair to replace immediately the set on my daily commuter bike.

The price is so pretty damned good that I'm considering buying a second set. Do tyres suffer much deterioration, if I was to buy a second pair and store them in the house for use at some indeterminable time in the future?
Last edited by Top_Bhoy on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikgit

Re: Tyre deterioration

Postby mikgit » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:10 pm

they can...depending on a bunch of things, but were talking like maybe more than 10 years. I've got a box full of tubes and a bunch of NOS or taken off but virtually new tyres.
I recent;y gave away some mtb tyres, they'd seen a fair bit of use, one was pretty junk, the other still fairly usable, they were mounted on that bike in 1993-4.
Keep then new in a box, probably last a very long time.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:28 pm

mikgit wrote:they can...depending on a bunch of things, but were talking like maybe more than 10 years. I've got a box full of tubes and a bunch of NOS or taken off but virtually new tyres.
Thanks for the response.

Given my usage, I'd expect both to be used within 12-18 months. Sooner if one or both of the fitted pair suffer terminal damage.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:45 pm

yeah that sort of timeline, wouldn't even think about it.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:49 pm

UV is what degrades tyres, so as long as they're stored in a sheltered place they'll be fine.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.