Lightweight mtb for 9yr old

Fletc

Lightweight mtb for 9yr old

Postby Fletc » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:38 am

I'm currently searching for a lightweight mtb to put my 9 yr old daughter on. She does lots of riding as well as racing, and with 3 older brothers she loves to do what they do. I'm struggling to find anything small and light enough for her. I'm not mechanically minded so putting a bike together isn't really an option.
Anyone else been in the same position? What have you done/found that works. Happy to buy second hand.

Mububban

Re: Lightweight mtb for 9yr old

Postby Mububban » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:13 pm

Fletc wrote:I'm currently searching for a lightweight mtb to put my 9 yr old daughter on. She does lots of riding as well as racing, and with 3 older brothers she loves to do what they do. I'm struggling to find anything small and light enough for her. I'm not mechanically minded so putting a bike together isn't really an option.
Anyone else been in the same position? What have you done/found that works. Happy to buy second hand.
Not sure how tall your daughter is, but my (just turned) 9yo girl is riding a 24 inch bike at the moment. Plenty of second hand bikes that would hardly have seen any use, such as Giant MTX or XTC Jr 24 inch, pop on Gumtree.

Second hand should only be $150 unless it's pristine then maybe $200.
Anaconda often have half price on their Fluid bikes so you'd get a 24" MTB for about $200 - $250.
Reid have the Scout (girl) or Ranger (boy) MTB in 24" for $299, claimed weight 12.6kg. For reference, my daughter's rigid fork 24" Reid Viper weighs 11.7kg (claimed 11.5kg stock) with a light and a gel seat cover added.
My son's Haro 20" MTB with front sus weighs 11.2kg. That was $80 off Gumtree.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:19 pm

How much older are your boys? I'm guessing you don't have a hand-me-down bike suitable in size to give her?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:43 pm

Not sure how tall your daughter is, but my (just turned) 9yo girl is riding a 24 inch bike at the moment. Plenty of second hand bikes that would hardly have seen any use, such as Giant MTX or XTC Jr 24 inch, pop on Gumtree.

Second hand should only be $150 unless it's pristine then maybe $200.
Anaconda often have half price on their Fluid bikes so you'd get a 24" MTB for about $200 - $250.
Reid have the Scout (girl) or Ranger (boy) MTB in 24" for $299, claimed weight 12.6kg. For reference, my daughter's rigid fork 24" Reid Viper weighs 11.7kg (claimed 11.5kg stock) with a light and a gel seat cover added.
My son's Haro 20" MTB with front sus weighs 11.2kg. That was $80 off Gumtree.
While those weights aren't particularly heavy, I wouldn't consider them light either. Unfortunately 24" isn't used much outside kids bikes so finding a light set of wheels or forks is going to be difficult. If I wanted a lighter bike or my 10yo son, I think I'd have to build it, his 24" Avanti MTB ($75 on gumtree) isn't particularly light.

I think I'd be aiming for a 2nd hand 26" hard tail with the smallest frame you can find for when she grows into it. Mr 10 will be getting a 26" next year for his birthday - it's already in the garage awaiting some repairs/upgrades as I bought it when I saw it in case there was nothing available at the time. Mr 12 got a small 26" for his birthday at 11 and it will inherit some lighter forks when I can get around to it.
Last edited by bychosis on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Fletc

Postby Fletc » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:26 pm

She is currently riding a giant xtc and it's so heavy. My boys just got new bikes so no hand me downs. Not many 26inch frames around especially in xs or small size. The other option is a woman's specific 27.5 since the standover is lower and reach smaller than a standard bike.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:41 pm

bychosis wrote:While those weights aren't particularly heavy, I wouldn't consider them light either.
What would you consider light? Do <10kg kids bikes exist outside of $600+ price range?

Her previous ByK e450 with thinner tyres and lighter wheels still weighs 10.2kg. Does any brand bother making really lightweight kids bikes that parents can afford to buy?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Mububban wrote:
bychosis wrote:While those weights aren't particularly heavy, I wouldn't consider them light either.
What would you consider light? Do <10kg kids bikes exist outside of $600+ price range?

Her previous ByK e450 with thinner tyres and lighter wheels still weighs 10.2kg. Does any brand bother making really lightweight kids bikes that parents can afford to buy?
I consider my recently broken dually light at 11kg, so maybe light for a kids bike at around 10kg. A decent 24" bike is still available, but not 'light weight' they are more built to features and price. The similar ones mentioned will be pretty good as basic LBS models. ie the $350 mark new. You are right, if they did make light kids, no-one could afford them. How's it go: "Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick any two"
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.