suggestions please on road bike

badseedy

suggestions please on road bike

Postby badseedy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:27 pm

Hi all

Please I would like some suggestions with buying a road bike, I currently ride a trek fx3 which has been fantastic but are craving the next level in a road bike, I ride on average 20 k rides during the week and 30 plus on the weekends. I have a budget of around $2000 to $2300 to spend. the roads where I live in Bundaberg are mostly kind of rough. the trek dealer now in bundy is closed so I'm looking to do a drive down to Brisbane on a saturday to buy a bike. what models should I be looking at and where in Brisbane do you guys suggest which has a good range.

thanks
badseedy

rodneycc

Re: suggestions please on road bike

Postby rodneycc » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:40 pm

I'm a big fan of the Giant Defy Advanced and TCR bikes. They are pretty quick, comfortable and value for money.

If you are worried about rough roads concentrate a bit on tyre choice and tyre clearance of the frame. The Defy can accommodate a 28mm tyre easily so think about buying a decent set of 28mm tyres such as Conti GP4000S IIs as well (stock tyres are generally pretty crap).

Go for a test ride of a few makes and models and get a good fit by the LBS where you buy from. Dont rush this step and even swap out a longer or shorter stem if it makes that comfort level better to get it exactly the way you want it.

Good luck.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

lone rider

Re: suggestions please on road bike

Postby lone rider » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:18 pm

For years I read the Caad10 fan club pump up how good they are and always kinda wished I bought one when I was first getting into riding, instead I bought an Orbea branded alu frame. A month ago I built up a Caad12 frameset and Im never going back to carbon. It weighs the same as my old BMC did but you get all the stiffness of an alu frame and i have not noticed any real difference in vibrations from the road. Rode it on some not smooth country roads a week ago.