Second hand road bike under $300

Budeman

Second hand road bike under $300

Postby Budeman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi,

I am hoping to start competing in triathlons some time next year and need a bike.

As the title suggests I don't have a big budget for my first one - is it possible to get something ok for $300? I've said road bike rather than tri bike due to the price of tri bikes.

If so what are the makes to go for and avoid? I have read a couple of guides on buying second hand but would appreciate any advice on what to look for and what would be a good buy.

Thanks,

Mark.

10speedsemiracer

Re: Second hand road bike under $300

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:46 am

As long as you have realistic expectations regarding the sort of bike you will be buying, you may get lucky. $300 buys you a 5+ year old Giant OCR or maybe a late 1980s early 1990s road bike with a little bit of change to redo cables, tyres and tubes.
I just had a quick run thru the first 3 pages of Gumtree and found a 2012 Giant OCR which would do the job at $260.
This is sort of relying on you being able to do the servicing and setup yourself instead of paying someone else.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Budeman

Postby Budeman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:54 pm

Many thanks for the reply - after looking through gumtree previously I know I won't be able to get much but am happy just to get something to get me started and maybe upgrade after 12 months if I'm getting into it. Am happy to do the servicing as I have the right kit and have owned other bikes and always serviced them.

Any other makes to look for? I see a few avanti's near me (in Perth) - are they any good?

Last thing I'm a short @rse..(167cm) looking at frame sizes ideally I want a 53-54cm - if I got one smaller would that be an issue?

Thanks,

Mark

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Budeman wrote: Last thing I'm a short @rse..(167cm) looking at frame sizes ideally I want a 53-54cm - if I got one smaller would that be an issue?
I'm 169cm and often ride frames smaller than that, though generally older steel tube bikes (not compact geometry). Changing the stem length can help, but give your budget I'd say give the bike you want to buy a good test ride before buying, and get a sense of whether you feel hunched up over the bars, or alternatively, stretched out. If it feels ok, later you can adjust the stem height and saddle position to dial in the fit.

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:27 pm

i would have thought those sizes could actually be a little on the big side for your height?

regarding the avantis, post the examples, most brands tend to have models at differing pricepoints, just because its an avanti doesnt say much about the actual appointments.

look at the groupsets which tends to give a better indication of the appointment level.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:23 pm

If you are on a tight budget, do some online bike size calculators to help you find the best suited frame size. This will help you orientate.

At this budget, you have to limit the expectations and want a fair bike that will serve you well but knowing that it is still a $300 second hand bike. Rather than being too concerned with the brand, I would see what is on the market and then check the brand reputation. With any of the major brands like Giant, Specialized, Scott, Trek and Cannondale you have good starting point but the brand alone won't define the current condition. Do some more google searches on the brand and model and see what you get, but don't get too concerned about isolated issues - the aim is to get as much as you can for the money. Second hand is the way to go - but be wary, if you get a $300 bike but discover you need new tyres ($100), a new chain ($25 - $50) and a bike service to do the gears ($100 - $200), then it can add up. Best case is getting a friend who knows bikes to check it out before committing.

What about all of the other things? Typically you would ride with cleats - so this means cycling shoes and pedals. Also a helmet and sunnies. In a triathlon, typically riders are in their budgie smugglers and a singlet is fine.

Have a look into electrolytes - powder or tablets that you mix with water (inside your water bottle) to keep you hydrated and some energy bars to keep your blood sugar levels up.
Cycling is in my BNA

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Budeman wrote:Many thanks for the reply - after looking through gumtree previously I know I won't be able to get much but am happy just to get something to get me started and maybe upgrade after 12 months if I'm getting into it. Am happy to do the servicing as I have the right kit and have owned other bikes and always serviced them.

Any other makes to look for? I see a few avanti's near me (in Perth) - are they any good?

Last thing I'm a short @rse..(167cm) looking at frame sizes ideally I want a 53-54cm - if I got one smaller would that be an issue?

Thanks,

Mark
I think a 54cm may be a fraction big for you at 167cm, although this varies from brand to brand and it's usually easier to make a smaller bike fit someone than the other way around. Plus, the smaller bike weighs less (but not much). As someone has already said, stick to the known manufacturers, Giant, Specialized etc. Found this Giant OCR which has allegedly just been serviced, in Maylands (don't know how close to you that is).

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mayland ... 1158223555

Is a Medium frame, which on an OCR is fairly small-ish. Might be worth a look.
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:49 pm

Reckon you are better off waiting until you build up your funds around the $600-700 mark but if you really want to risk something in the $300 zone go a small framed OCR/Defy/TCR and make sure you take it to your LBS for a service and possibly fit (adjust the stem or maybe re-fit it - some of the older bike's stems stick out like dogs balls!).

With Tri's you want to be aero anyway :-)
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Budeman

Postby Budeman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks for all the replies especially about the frame size. Searching through gumtree near me today brought up this one.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bassend ... 1159920667

Smaller frame at 51cm and does say may need new tyres - good thing is though its on $200 and already has the tri bars so one less thing to spend.

What is the sprint model like from Avanti?

Thanks,

Mark.

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Avanti sprint is a pretty solid sora equipped basic entry level aluminum framed bike. In fact i have an avanti sprint frame hanging in the garage i found at hard rubbish a few years ago.

Budeman

Postby Budeman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:35 pm

Many thanks may take a look at the sprint - have just seen a Fluid Quantum on fb for $180 - a quick Google search and I can see that they sell in Anaconda for $499 new but reviews I could see don't rate them as great - anyone here confirm this?

Thanks,

Mark

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:29 am

Budeman wrote:Many thanks may take a look at the sprint - have just seen a Fluid Quantum on fb for $180 - a quick Google search and I can see that they sell in Anaconda for $499 new but reviews I could see don't rate them as great - anyone here confirm this?

Thanks,

Mark
I think that if you have a choice between the Giant OCR, Avanti Sprint versus a Fluid, I'd be sticking with the Giant/Avanti.

If you don't mind maybe doing it on an older bike, there's a Giant Cadex in Cannington with spare rims and seems to be in good nick and approximately your size.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/east-ca ... 1159889634

$100, give it to the LBS and spend another $80 doing the cables, brake pads, tubes and greasing it up (this price reflects you doing it yourself) and your good to go. The Giant Cadex was a good thing.

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:11 am

imo the fluid would be on a par with the avanti, the avanti is older sora 8 speed where the fluid is newer claris 8 speed, the frame and wheels would likely be on par,

technically speaking the sora is one rung higher in the component pecking order but the newer claris would have trickle down features and i doubt you would be able to tell the difference in feel riding the bike,

i see the avanti you linked is sold now anyway.

Budeman

Postby Budeman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:01 am

[/quote]

I think that if you have a choice between the Giant OCR, Avanti Sprint versus a Fluid, I'd be sticking with the Giant/Avanti.

If you don't mind maybe doing it on an older bike, there's a Giant Cadex in Cannington with spare rims and seems to be in good nick and approximately your size.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/east-ca ... 1159889634

$100, give it to the LBS and spend another $80 doing the cables, brake pads, tubes and greasing it up (this price reflects you doing it yourself) and your good to go. The Giant Cadex was a good thing.[/quote]

Thanks for finding that - I had just been searching for road bike so missed that one - I will see what size frame it is and take a look if its my size.
Regarding taking it to the LBS should I do all the bits I can myself first as wont they want to charge me for changing the brake pads etc?

Thanks,

Mark.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:22 am

Budeman wrote:
Thanks for finding that - I had just been searching for road bike so missed that one - I will see what size frame it is and take a look if its my size.
Regarding taking it to the LBS should I do all the bits I can myself first as wont they want to charge me for changing the brake pads etc?

Thanks,

Mark.
Do as much as you can yourself, it's mostly all remove/replace and then adjust. I note you mentioned earlier that you've serviced your own bikes in the past, so there's nothing out of the ordinary in prepping this one. If you feel ambitious, maybe fit some current-era brake calipers and pads. Depends whats on there now but from memory I think most I've seen were either Shimano Rx100 or Shimano 105 so whatever is on there will be decent.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:45 am

Budeman wrote:I had just been searching for road bike so missed that one
You are better off doing a category search on bicycles with no keywords in your area. Many advertisers are either too stupid or lazy to use words that would make their item much more searchable. I find that if I am looking for something scrolling back a fw days doesn't take long and you can pick the style of bike from the photo pretty quickly.

As for a $300 budget, I'd reckon I could get a pretty decent bike for that with a little patience. The key is knowing what size you need and being able to spend some time or $ to get it up to standard. Personally I'll happily buy a bike needing maintenance because I know I can complete the work myself (mostly) and often have enough spares in the garage it won't cost any extra.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:55 am

You are better off doing a category search on bicycles with no keywords in your area. Many advertisers are either too stupid or lazy to use words that would make their item much more searchable. I find that if I am looking for something scrolling back a fw days doesn't take long and you can pick the style of bike from the photo pretty quickly.

so true, and also the ones that have poor descriptions are sometimes the real bargains,

Budeman

Postby Budeman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 am

koshari wrote:

so true, and also the ones that have poor descriptions are sometimes the real bargains,
Thanks yes have just started doing that now - and it has brought up this.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melvill ... 1160144633

I have asked about frame size and the model as its doesn't say. As a rule of thumb are Diamondbacks one to consider?

Thanks,

Mark.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:16 am

I got caught out once, bought a Diamondback (DBR) Criterium just to flip, and even though I got it cheap cheap, I was very disappointed with it. Just bottom-end garbage, weird shifters on the bars, really shabby wheelset. I'd personally recommend steering clear.

Budeman

Postby Budeman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:19 am

The diamondback was too big anyway - this guy has three for sale

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/noranda ... 1160045662

I had a look online about the Trek SL 1000 and it got decent reviews from when it came out in 2007

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:22 am

Budeman wrote:The diamondback was too big anyway - this guy has three for sale

I had a look online about the Trek SL 1000 and it got decent reviews from when it came out in 2007
I saw that ad as well, but still think the Giant Cadex would be a better option. The Dodsun would be a good bike but think that one is a fraction too big. The Cadex would be lighter than the Trek (I think).

Budeman

Postby Budeman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:10 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:

I saw that ad as well, but still think the Giant Cadex would be a better option. The Dodsun would be a good bike but think that one is a fraction too big. The Cadex would be lighter than the Trek (I think).

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Based on my experience.
Avoid a bike with either a Tiagra or 105 front triple. Parts are starting to get hard to find for these.

I bought a good frame with good wheels for $300.00. required a new cassette and chain rings.
Cassette was easy but have a mélange of chain rings and crank arm. The triple Brifter also failed - had to be sourced O/S to get a decent priced one. The correct front triple derailleur only NOS available O/S.

Budeman

Postby Budeman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:53 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:

I am having a look at the Cadex this arvo - given its an older bike is there anything I need to look out for?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:02 pm

Budeman wrote:I am having a look at the Cadex this arvo - given its an older bike is there anything I need to look out for?
AFAIK the cadex is a carbon tube bonded to alloy lugs. Thoroughly check the frame for damage, check the bonds for signs of repair. Some people wont touch old carbon with a barge pole, but other recognise that it is still functional if in good condition.

Check operation of all parts, especially the shifters. Make sure the rims are running fairly smooth and true and the brake tracks aren't too worn. It might need new bar tape and brake pads (cheap and easy enough to do at home), but have a look to be sure.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.