Best road bike under $3000

Dudeman

Best road bike under $3000

Postby Dudeman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a road bike, preferably endurance style, just want to ride 1-3hrs not chasing seconds so comfort would be nice.

I've seen the Specialized Roubaix Sport for $2900, and the Trek Domane SL 5 for $3000.
Can I get something better for under 3K? Or even something almost as good for less?
Don't care if disc or rim brakes, doesn't have to be CF but seems like it would be nice.

Thanks for any advice!

Mububban

Re: Best road bike under $3000

Postby Mububban » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:54 am

For that money, anything you buy should be a very sweet bike. If you buy alloy you'll get Ultegra and better wheels, if you get carbon fibre you'll get 105 and cheaper heavier wheels.

The Trek with its front and rear IsoSpeed decouplers are supposed to be very comfortable for longer rides without compromising the handling.

Giant Defy Advanced 2018 with hydraulic discs and Shimano 105, if you like bright green :)

If you know your sizing and don't mind buying online, Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0.

Shop around for a 2017 runout model on anything and you might get a big discount.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Mububban wrote: ... if you get carbon fibre you'll get 105 and cheaper heavier wheels.
Just looking at Giant TCRs (which are a brilliant bike)
TCR2 with 105 group and PR2 wheels = $2100
Advanced Pro Team 2017 with Ultegra Di2 and tubeless wheels = $3000

Almost every shop is a Giant dealer, should be tons of deals going.

Dudeman

Postby Dudeman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Mububban wrote:For that money, anything you buy should be a very sweet bike. If you buy alloy you'll get Ultegra and better wheels, if you get carbon fibre you'll get 105 and cheaper heavier wheels.

The Trek with its front and rear IsoSpeed decouplers are supposed to be very comfortable for longer rides without compromising the handling.

Giant Defy Advanced 2018 with hydraulic discs and Shimano 105, if you like bright green :)

If you know your sizing and don't mind buying online, Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0.

Shop around for a 2017 runout model on anything and you might get a big discount.
Ok sweet!

Most my options seem to be carbon with shimano 105.

I'd pick up the Giant Defy Advanced 2018 straight away, if it was anything BUT bright green :p

Unfortunately all 2017 stock that I want is all sold out here in Canberra.

Derny Driver wrote:
Mububban wrote: ... if you get carbon fibre you'll get 105 and cheaper heavier wheels.
Just looking at Giant TCRs (which are a brilliant bike)
TCR2 with 105 group and PR2 wheels = $2100
Advanced Pro Team 2017 with Ultegra Di2 and tubeless wheels = $3000

Almost every shop is a Giant dealer, should be tons of deals going.
TCR2 looks awesome, only thing is, hows something like that going to compare to the endurance bikes Im looking at, being a beginner road cyclist?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:58 pm

Dudeman wrote: TCR2 looks awesome, only thing is, hows something like that going to compare to the endurance bikes Im looking at, being a beginner road cyclist?
I think the whole endurance thing is a bit of a marketing ploy. The difference between an endurance bike and a race bike comes down to a centimetre basically. Endurance bikes are marketed towards fat old MAMILS who have a large gut and an inflexible spine - they are supposedly more comfortable. Maybe they are, Ive never ridden one. But even at age 60 with a dodgy back and neck, I would never buy one. A bike in my opinion, is a traditional geometry bike. I have 11 bikes and they are all pre-endurance era. They are all comfortable to ride.
The Giant TCR is in my opinion the most versatile bike around at the moment. I saw half a dozen of them on the coast bike path last week, being ridden by weekend warriors /punters, as I sipped a latte out the front of the Surf Club coffee shop. Last weekend I travelled to Lorne Victoria with an NRS team, one of my riders had a TCR, he happened to be our best placed rider finishing 10th overall.
I think for the money and the performance, they are the best bang for buck around. You will never need to upgrade if you get a TCR.
For what its worth, 105 is brilliant. When I raced I used 105 and it took me to many wins and never in the many years I raced did it ever let me down, break, drop a chain or miss a gear change. Unlike the Di2 which many of the NRS guys use which is constantly having issues with flat batteries or loose wiring.
So to conclude, I would recommend trying the normal TCR first and only going to the Endurance frame if you really have to.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:50 pm

Have to also put a vote in for the current model TCR. Mostly because that is what I bought as my first road bike lol.

On Monday this week it just clocked over 7000km, I have only had it for a year and a half. Its a TCR Pro 2 with 11 speed 105 that I got new for $2300. Only thing I have done is changed the tyres at 4000km and a rear gear cable at 5000km. I have purchased a new cluster and chain, but havent had to fit them yet. Been super impressed with the 105. I do all kinds of rides on it from bike paths, mountain roads, flat roads and commuting, completing anyting from a quick 1 hour dash through to 5hrs on my longer rides. I have had no issues with comfort and absolutely love it.

I did test ride a defy before purchase, but for the the same price range felt heavy and sloppy in the way it rode compared to the brillient TCR.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:56 am

Derny Driver wrote:
Dudeman wrote: TCR2 looks awesome, only thing is, hows something like that going to compare to the endurance bikes Im looking at, being a beginner road cyclist?
I think the whole endurance thing is a bit of a marketing ploy. The difference between an endurance bike and a race bike comes down to a centimetre basically. Endurance bikes are marketed towards fat old MAMILS who have a large gut and an inflexible spine - they are supposedly more comfortable. Maybe they are, Ive never ridden one. But even at age 60 with a dodgy back and neck, I would never buy one. A bike in my opinion, is a traditional geometry bike. I have 11 bikes and they are all pre-endurance era. They are all comfortable to ride.
The Giant TCR is in my opinion the most versatile bike around at the moment. I saw half a dozen of them on the coast bike path last week, being ridden by weekend warriors /punters, as I sipped a latte out the front of the Surf Club coffee shop. Last weekend I travelled to Lorne Victoria with an NRS team, one of my riders had a TCR, he happened to be our best placed rider finishing 10th overall.
I think for the money and the performance, they are the best bang for buck around. You will never need to upgrade if you get a TCR.
For what its worth, 105 is brilliant. When I raced I used 105 and it took me to many wins and never in the many years I raced did it ever let me down, break, drop a chain or miss a gear change. Unlike the Di2 which many of the NRS guys use which is constantly having issues with flat batteries or loose wiring.
So to conclude, I would recommend trying the normal TCR first and only going to the Endurance frame if you really have to.
The immediate things that differentiate an "endurance" bike from a race bike are: 1) Slightly taller front end; 2) slightly shorter top tube; 3) slightly longer wheelbase, almost entirely in the rear; and 4) in the case of carbon frames, possibly slightly different fibre layup to tune which directions a bit more flex is desired. We're talking, and emphasising the "slight" in all cases. The first two points can be corrected by playing with stem stacks, lengths and angles, so it is entirely possible to achieve the same cockpit position on both frame types. The second two points can't be adjusted as they're built-in factors, but the longer wheelbase will have a slight (again emphasising the "slight") slowing of steering responsiveness, and you need to be very well tuned in to the bike to pick the difference in layup characteristics; much more noticeable is the difference between aluminium and carbon. Aluminium will have you feeling every little stone on the road. Carbon won't be like riding on air, but it will take the edge off the bumps so you get a considerably smoother ride.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 am

Duck! wrote: The immediate things that differentiate an "endurance" bike from a race bike are: 1) Slightly taller front end; 2) slightly shorter top tube; 3) slightly longer wheelbase, almost entirely in the rear; and 4) in the case of carbon frames, possibly slightly different fibre layup to tune which directions a bit more flex is desired. We're talking, and emphasising the "slight" in all cases. The first two points can be corrected by playing with stem stacks, lengths and angles, so it is entirely possible to achieve the same cockpit position on both frame types. The second two points can't be adjusted as they're built-in factors, but the longer wheelbase will have a slight (again emphasising the "slight") slowing of steering responsiveness, and you need to be very well tuned in to the bike to pick the difference in layup characteristics; much more noticeable is the difference between aluminium and carbon. Aluminium will have you feeling every little stone on the road. Carbon won't be like riding on air, but it will take the edge off the bumps so you get a considerably smoother ride.
Excellent info, thanks Duck

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:50 am

Derny Driver wrote:
TCRs are great value for money. I have two of them, both of them comfortable to ride day after day for long distances. You can sufficiently set them up to be comfortable enough if you aren't particularly flexible. 105s are now 11 speed as well.

Dudeman

Postby Dudeman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks for the great advice guys!

Took the TCR for a "test ride" today, felt awesome, position felt fine. My preferred LBS doesn't have one for another 4 weeks but I'll order it through them as I wasn't too impressed by the store I went to making me only test the bike in the parking lot with the guy watching my every move lol. Every other place lets me go for a 10 min ride. Was the first road bike I've tried and felt awesome even if it was just laps around a carpark :D tried a Cannondale too, I must be a noob because I didnt notice the difference where the Cannondale has Ultegra :p

I'll try a couple of other bikes to compare but I love the Giant brand and look of the TCR 2, wouldn't have even tried if it wasn't for your comments so very much appreciated!

Dudeman

Postby Dudeman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:36 pm

So I went in and put a deposit down on the TCR and a bunch of accessories, guys at Onya Bike in Canberra were brilliant, definitely a store I'm going to be loyal to, well worth the 4 week wait. Feels like the TCR will be decent for my first road bike, can't wait! Thanks again guys, very helpful!

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Dudeman wrote:So I went in and put a deposit down on the TCR and a bunch of accessories, guys at Onya Bike in Canberra were brilliant, definitely a store I'm going to be loyal to, well worth the 4 week wait. Feels like the TCR will be decent for my first road bike, can't wait! Thanks again guys, very helpful!
Fantastic mate, very exciting. You've made a great choice and whether you are just toodling around on the brilliant Canberra bike tracks or racing with the clubs at Stromlo or wherever, the TCR will be up to it. The possibilities are endless in Canberra.
Good luck with it :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:32 pm

Dudeman wrote:So I went in and put a deposit down on the TCR and a bunch of accessories, guys at Onya Bike in Canberra were brilliant, definitely a store I'm going to be loyal to, well worth the 4 week wait. Feels like the TCR will be decent for my first road bike, can't wait! Thanks again guys, very helpful!
A TCR took me through the Dolomites with no problems. It was perfect day after day. Even those enormous descents were no trouble - and those are things I've never ridden before.

Congrats on your first road bike. :) You've got a great bike. Have fun with it.

One of my bikes has Di2, and it's great - no dramas with it, but I also know of some that have had dodgy Di2 cables. Do I prefer Di2? Uh, yeah, a bit because they are dead simple to set up and work with, but it isn't any better than a good mechanical gear system.

Dudeman

Postby Dudeman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:26 pm

Cheers guys :)

Can anyone confirm if I can fit 28mm tires on it?
I've seen some vids of older models without disc brakes that can't fit 28mm tires

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:24 pm

Mine is the rim braked model not sure if you got discs? Congrats :)
Anyway I have had my 28mm tyres on it no problem, but currently run GP4000's in a 25mm which actually seem as big as my other set of 28's. My paticular bike came with 23mm on it but I think all the current models have 25mm standard.
But to be honest I have not noticed a massive difference in ride comfort, so thinking of going back to 23mm GP4000's for my next set, which I think will be around the same as 25mm in other tyre brands.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:23 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Unlike the Di2 which many of the NRS guys use which is constantly having issues with flat batteries or loose wiring.
Wouldn't we be hearing about this from the pros if it was really an issue? I have two bikes with di2 and have never either of the problems you mention.

I disagree about the TCR making a good endurance bike. I wouldn't want to ride 200km on mine. By the time I adjusted the geometry to make it comfortable it would just look like a Defy anyway so why not buy the right bike in the first place?

With regard to tyre size my TCR (2012) would definitely not fit 28mm Contis. Maybe this has changed with newer models. Another reason to get an endurance frame with room to fit comfortable tyres.

Dudeman

Postby Dudeman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:11 pm

I've made my commitment :D

Also defy seems great... I'm not riding a bright green bike though :p

For me, a long ride will be 60km. I will probably never do longer than 100km. At what point does it really make a difference?

firemac71

Postby firemac71 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:48 pm

How would you compare the Giant tcr to a Specialized roubaix sport?

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:56 pm

firemac71 wrote:How would you compare the Giant tcr to a Specialized roubaix sport?
Both great bikes but they fill different briefs.

The TCR is a race bike, it'll stretch you out a bit longer and lower so it depends if you can comfortably ride like that, or if you even want to?
It'll be lighter, less comfortable and built for speed over comfort. That said, experienced cyclists can ride them 200km+ and consider them comfy enough.

The Roubaix is an endurance style bike, it'll sit you more upright, so less aerodynamic and aggressive, but a lot more comfortable for longer distance, or if you simply want a good fast bike that's not hardcore and racey.
You'll get thicker comfier bar tape for more cushioning, a slightly comfier saddle, easier gears to go up hills easier - endurance bikes are about comfort first, speed second, and can cope with longer rides more comfortably.

So it depends on what sort of bike you want, how fit/flexible you are, if you've got any physical problems (bad back, sore neck etc) that might push you away from one style of bike, and what sort of rider you are (aggressive or cruisey)?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:33 pm

Mububban wrote:
firemac71 wrote:How would you compare the Giant tcr to a Specialized roubaix sport?
Both great bikes but they fill different briefs.

The TCR is a race bike, it'll stretch you out a bit longer and lower so it depends if you can comfortably ride like that
Put the bars up higher with the right stem on it (angled upwards) and it'll be fairly upright as well. My two TCRs are both quite slammed down at the front, that's just how I ride - but they are pretty comfortable bikes. Put 25mm tyres on them and that's the rest sorted.

The comfort really comes from the fit, the saddle and the tyres.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:42 pm

Dudeman wrote:I've made my commitment :D

For me, a long ride will be 60km. I will probably never do longer than 100km. At what point does it really make a difference?
Aaahhh....you say that now. :wink:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:48 pm

hamishm wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:Unlike the Di2 which many of the NRS guys use which is constantly having issues with flat batteries or loose wiring.
Wouldn't we be hearing about this from the pros if it was really an issue? I have two bikes with di2 and have never either of the problems you mention.

I disagree about the TCR making a good endurance bike. I wouldn't want to ride 200km on mine. By the time I adjusted the geometry to make it comfortable it would just look like a Defy anyway so why not buy the right bike in the first place?

With regard to tyre size my TCR (2012) would definitely not fit 28mm Contis. Maybe this has changed with newer models. Another reason to get an endurance frame with room to fit comfortable tyres.
Beats me what they are doing with those bikes to end up with flat batteries on loose wiring... I know of a dead cable - but nothing more than that. And in my own experience, no dramas like that. The Di2 just works and it is super easy to setup. Actually prefer it to SRAM E-Tap. But E-Tap is much neater without cables.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:04 pm

cyclotaur wrote:

Yep, sounds just like me 18 months and 10,000km ago :D

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:

Yep, sounds just like me 18 months and 10,000km ago :D
+1. I had a wry chuckle to myself reading that, too :)