Bike Computer for first road bike

jarwil80

Bike Computer for first road bike

Postby jarwil80 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:18 am

Hello all,
I have just purchased (lay-by) my first road bike, which is a Giant Defy Advanced 3 2017. Most likely wont be picked up before Christmas but thought I would start the research on bike GPS computers early.

I have looked at Garmin Edge 25 and 520 and also Giant Neos Track GPS computer. Looking for a computer that can track speed and distance and also have the option of adding bluetooth devices to in the future. Having maps is not a necessity but maybe being able to connect to a computer to download my routes would be good.

I am leaning towards the Edge 25 at the moment for price wise for an entry level computer. Are there any other computers I should be looking at and comparing?

Thanks in advance.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bike Computer for first road bike

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:10 pm

What about your existing smartphone? If you have and use one - download Strava. Even with mobile data off, you get the GPS data and speed and with the free Strava account don't pay anything extra. You would need a mount and and good for the Quadlock. And when the phone has low-energy bluetooth (BLE) it means that you can connect it up with compatible devices in future.

For a dedicated cycle computer, the main brands are Garmin, Magellen (Cyclo), Polar and Bryton. The brytons in particular are cheap and deliver the tech but with more limited abilities to adjust onscreen display.
Cycling is in my BNA

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:16 pm

I used to have a computer on my bike all the time but don't anymore. I still track with GPS though, currently using a Garmin Forerunner watch, but it doesn't do cadence without an extra thingy. I don't look at the screen enough to need it on the bike. Using a watch makes it very easy to switch bikes too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:15 pm

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

nevyn

Postby nevyn » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:05 pm

Phone plus wahoo rpm Cadence and Speed sensors for me quadlock or rokform case/mount

I'm lucky that my phone does ant... the wahoo sensors do do bluetooth as well ipbike is initially ugly but actually super functional

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:46 pm

I've had constant trouble with buggy firmware on my Garmin Edge 510. I'm currently eyeing off the Lezyne Super GPS. It's half the price of a Garmin and is less "race/train" oriented. I particularly like it having two distance counters.

Neddysmith

Postby Neddysmith » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:12 am

I have the Bryton and for what i use it for is great, provides everything i really needs and links to both Bryton App and then links to Strava if you want use that instead, for $121 delivered its greats value.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:26 pm

nevyn wrote:Phone plus wahoo rpm Cadence and Speed sensors for me quadlock or rokform case/mount

I'm lucky that my phone does ant... the wahoo sensors do do bluetooth as well ipbike is initially ugly but actually super functional
The other option with a phone is to use something like the viiiiva heart rate monitor which will pick up ANT+ and rebroadcast as BLE

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:28 pm

Neddysmith wrote:I have the Bryton and for what i use it for is great, provides everything i really needs and links to both Bryton App and then links to Strava if you want use that instead, for $121 delivered its greats value.
+1
Another Bryton fan here. I have the 310 model. There are a few handy reviews on this forum too.

jarwil80

Postby jarwil80 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

Currently on my hardtail I use my iPhone with MapMyRide and also had a Axact 9W on there. Phone is usually in my pocket for the ride. I have tried arm bands but always find I am adjusting them. I have never had a stem mount for the phone.

I was looking to go away from using the phone for the road bike. Thought a dedicated GPS computer might be better and then upload once finished.

As I won't have the road bike for awhile I will keep looking around and researching and hopefully will have a preferred option when I pick up the bike
Giant Talon 4 2015
Giant Defy Advanced 3 2017

st27

Postby st27 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:44 pm

I've got my roadbike back in May and have clock up 1000km exploring the city.
I have been tempted to get a bike computer and I am liking the Wahoo Bolt so far.
I do also have a quadlock fixture on my bike for my iphone 6. Does kills the battery life of the iphone with strava.
The lezyne super gps is my 2nd choice!

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:50 am

You can get a cheap blue tooth enabled device which will give you cadence, and speed (which is all you really need) such as the Topeak Panobike which will work on your phone with Strava for under $50 these days. You can add a heart rate monitor, calories burned and so on and so forth which will work with it also. Or you can look at a similar device such as the Wahoo RPM.

In the game you can spend many hundreds of dollars more for an ANT+ device and computer from someone like Garmin or you can use your existing phone which will basically do the same gig. I guess it depends on how much money you want to burn.

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:49 pm

For an occasional rider and "entry level" head unit, I would recommend the Wahoo RFKLT. Its not very expensive and will give you more/better metrics than the equivalent Edge25. Its BT protocol.

I had one a couple of years back and I don't know if they still make them, but for a budget friendly option this is a good one to start with.

jarwil80

Postby jarwil80 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:38 pm

Thought I would provide an update.

Went for my first ride on new bike yesterday and used Strava on my iPhone. Phone was in my shorts pocket.Worked well. What I missed from mapmyride was the announcement of every 5km with speed and time and ability to play music within the app. Last one is no big deal as I just played music separately.

I have just pulled out my Polar M400 sports watch and chucked it on charge. Have connected my Polar Flow account to my Strava account. Also have the HR strap so might see how all this goes next ride. I am hoping the Polar will monitor segments in Strava. If anyone knows about this let me know.

If all goes well might not need to purchase a dedicated computer and use what I have for the time being.
Giant Talon 4 2015

Lan Wing

Postby Lan Wing » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:28 pm

Thanks for the update, JW.
I've been using my phone (android) as a cycle computer for 12months now, using the IPBike app and a zefal bar-mount. HR monitor, cadence and speed sensors all link in really well. I've recently also adapted my MTB to trainer duty, using wahoo speed and cadence sensors, and again, works really well. Phone automatically picks up what bike I'm on.
Can't see myself getting a standalone bike computer, as I always carry my phone when riding anyway. Bigger screen is a bonus, and the phone has come out unscathed from a few minor (and one major) misadventures.

jarwil80

Postby jarwil80 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:28 pm

Went for first ride with Polar M400 watch and HR strap this morning.

Worked really well. Tracked the route well and also recorded segments. Good to be able to see how far and fast I was going on the watch. Added benefit was monitoring HR also with the strap. Just have to sync ride to Polar Flow and then automatically syncs to Strava. Still had my phone with me for music and if I got into trouble.

Will keep using this setup and save some money before buying a GPS computer.
Giant Talon 4 2015

paul85

Postby paul85 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:23 pm

jarwil80 wrote:Went for first ride with Polar M400 watch and HR strap this morning.

Worked really well. Tracked the route well and also recorded segments. Good to be able to see how far and fast I was going on the watch. Added benefit was monitoring HR also with the strap. Just have to sync ride to Polar Flow and then automatically syncs to Strava. Still had my phone with me for music and if I got into trouble.

Before getting a Garmin 520 I had a forerunner with Hrm & linked a speed and cadence sensor. What made this good was that you could get a bar mount adaptor it was about$30 from memory and went on the handle bars nicely so you could monitor what you wanted to, I am sure that you would find something similar on eBay cheaper or the Polar. Needless to say this worked very well however I wanted to look into the edge to be honest I really still do not use more than the watch had available and it was also useful for other activities.

jarwil80

Postby jarwil80 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:28 pm

paul85 wrote:
jarwil80 wrote:Went for first ride with Polar M400 watch and HR strap this morning.

Before getting a Garmin 520 I had a forerunner with Hrm & linked a speed and cadence sensor. What made this good was that you could get a bar mount adaptor it was about$30 from memory and went on the handle bars nicely so you could monitor what you wanted to, I am sure that you would find something similar on eBay cheaper or the Polar. Needless to say this worked very well however I wanted to look into the edge to be honest I really still do not use more than the watch had available and it was also useful for other activities.
Didn't know about bike mount until you mentioned it. Have since had a look and have found a universal Polar mount available. Happy with it on my wrist at the moment. My last ride I had the default screen on my HR stats and flicked to speed and distance every so often. Found that better as I wasn't focussed on speed and distance and focussed on riding.

At the moment I am glad I didn't fork out for a bike computer and able to use equipment I already had.
Giant Talon 4 2015