Lightweight climbing bike options - $5000 budget

queequeg

Re: Lightweight climbing bike options - $5000 budget

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:28 am

Meanwhile, a friend of mine has just built up his "climbing bike". A Cervelo RCa frameset, Enve wheels, Dura-Ace Di2. 5.54kg, so it's actually not even legal to ride in UCI Gran Fondo events lol
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:45 am

queequeg wrote:Meanwhile, a friend of mine has just built up his "climbing bike". A Cervelo RCa frameset, Enve wheels, Dura-Ace Di2. 5.54kg, so it's actually not even legal to ride in UCI Gran Fondo events lol
If/when the UCI remove the 6.8kg limit, how low would a pro team realistically get their bikes down to?

For these large gran fondo events, does everyone have to line up and weigh their bikes or do they just rely on people's honesty?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:40 am

queequeg wrote:Meanwhile, a friend of mine has just built up his "climbing bike". A Cervelo RCa frameset, Enve wheels, Dura-Ace Di2. 5.54kg, so it's actually not even legal to ride in UCI Gran Fondo events lol
But not for $5K.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Mububban wrote: For these large gran fondo events, does everyone have to line up and weigh their bikes or do they just rely on people's honesty?
A Gran Fondo is not a race. A Gran Fondo is a mass participation ride sanctioned by various cycling organisations, designed to maximise the organisations finances by allowing thousands of people who would not normally race, to pretend to race under conditions that look like a race but are not a race. CNSW, CA, UCI etc have no interest in whether people have the correct skills, correct bike, or correct clothing like they do in other organised races. The only interest is monetary.
So the short answer is no. :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:22 pm

And you can just get a sub 5kg Trek for whatever dollars straight from the shop. Or the AX-Lightness VIAL evo ULTRA. For what prices I don't know, but they wouldn't be cheap.
Derny Driver wrote:CNSW, CA, UCI etc have no interest in whether people have the correct skills, correct bike, or correct clothing like they do in other organised races.
A lot of actual races they don't bother to weigh bikes either. I'm sure there are probably a heck of a lot of sub-6.8kg bikes out there that would be caught if someone decided to do a crackdown on them. I've not seen it happen yet.
Mububban wrote:
If/when the UCI remove the 6.8kg limit, how low would a pro team realistically get their bikes down to?

For these large gran fondo events, does everyone have to line up and weigh their bikes or do they just rely on people's honesty?
If the weight limit went, I'd shudder to think how light they'll try to go.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:21 pm

g-boaf wrote:
A lot of actual races they don't bother to weigh bikes either. I'm sure there are probably a heck of a lot of sub-6.8kg bikes out there that would be caught if someone decided to do a crackdown on them. I've not seen it happen yet.
CNSW were weighing and measuring the TT bikes at Goulburn last weekend. They even did the ladies who were in a non-championship race, just another race in their Women's series.
Most failed the measurement test and people were scrambling around with allen keys and spanners and screwdrivers. I always take a full tool kit which includes a hacksaw to these events just in case.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:53 pm

You should also have a look at the CUBE C62 SL. It's distributed by the 99bikes chain so hopefully there's one near to you.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:21 pm

caneye wrote:You should also have a look at the CUBE C62 SL. It's distributed by the 99bikes chain so hopefully there's one near to you.
They've just recently opened a Perth store, might pop in and check them out too, thanks
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:40 pm

The Canyon Ultimate model would be a good choice or even the Endurace model which whilst the name implies endurance, its still a very sport geometry.

The Endurace also comes in 32T cassette options as standard.

Both models come in various price points/specs.

I wouldn't get caught up about bike weight too much. My Canyon Ultimate in XS with Red22 groupo was 6.1kg to begin with. But I've since added weight to make it much more rideable - e.g swapped to DA brakes, bigger cassettes, long cage RD etc.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:40 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
But not for $5K.
Yep, probably not for even $10k! Once you hit a certain point, every gram you shave off probably adds another $100 to the price.

I am pretty happy with my R5 with SRAM Red22. Weighs in at 6.7kg and was $4,500.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:40 pm

N+1 will have to wait. Car pooped itself Monday, and my daughter needs dental work. So probably lucky I didn't rush out and spend the money straight away.

One Powerball....