Full stable replacement - what would you buy?

nezumi

Full stable replacement - what would you buy?

Postby nezumi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:09 am

I am deciding between doing incremental upgrades of my existing bikes (Merida CX4 and Scultura 5000) or undertaking a complete clearout and starting from scratch.

At the moment, my CX bike is 10 speed and my Scully is 11 speed, meaning that I need to have multiple spare chains and cassettes.

My bike usage, in order of frequency, is:
  • Commuting ~20kms to and from work.
  • Social/semi effort group rides, when I remember to get out of bed early enough
  • Cyclocross racing
  • Gravel grinding
  • Bikepacking, from S24O rides to week long trips
  • Maybe road bike races (point to point, /possibly/ crits?)
I also have a 19 month old, so I would love to have an excuse to buy a Bullitt cargo bike.

At the moment I mainly commute on the Scultura, since I like to go fast - but I should probably give some consideration to the weather and switch out bikes accordingly.

Given the recent allowance from Cycling Australia of disc brake bikes, I am looking to have a full stable of disc brake bikes. One thing that has held me back from getting decent wheels is the need to change brake pads for rim wheels between carbon and alu rims.

I'm curious about the shift to thru axles, and the possibilities that opens up - especially for the consistent locating of disc brak rotors. (I currently have to tweak the calipers when I change wheels on my CX bike).

I am terrible at properly switching accessories between bikes. I have mudguards for my current CX bike that never get put on, because I'm too lazy to remove them for races.

Other things I would consider would be a dynamo setup for both commuting and bikepacking.

I think I am looking at three bikes:
Road bike for racing and fast rides - either aero frame or light for climbing. I am currently 85Kg, and will likely hover between 75 and 85 most of the time.
Cyclocross race bike for, funnily enough, CX races. Also for gravel grind day rides and light touring/bikepacking.
Rougher/more robust "bikepacking" bike. Still drop handlebars, but with 29" tyre clearance and dynamo lighting. Ability to fit mudguards with 700c tyres for winter/bad weather commuting.

In time I would possibly spring for a proper MTB, but I would hope that the bikepacking bike would handle some decent singletrack, Goldfields Trail and the like.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Calvin27

Re: Full stable replacement - what would you buy?

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:06 am

A few comments from my end:
- The bikepacking bike is not going to do commuting duties. You'll do it once and it will be really sluggish.
- Thru axles are great and highly recommend them. But with all things don't overthink the wheel swapping idea too much - it still won't happen. You already have 2 bikes and the end result is you will end up buying another bike to do a specific job rather than swap wheels frequently.
- Drop bars on a single track is tricky. Really tricky. Going up is great, climbs like a mountain goat, going down is like the bike is trying to kill you and the brake placement is not ideal.

My 2c is get a full suspension mtb, but if you really need the bikepacking experience then go for a hardtail. and stick some bar ends for comfort.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:19 am

I hear you on the sluggish aspect. I have commuted on my CX before (I bought it first, and rode it exclusively for a while), and although it wasn't too bad, I do feel a difference - but I think part of that is psychological.
In terms of components being able to be swapped, I was thinking that at a minimum I could have some wheels which would work well for both cross racing and road riding - around 30mm rim depth, disc braking etc. Something like this: https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... 27wide-999

I am rebuilding my old 26" hardtail at the moment. If I enjoy that, I might be able to get a proper MTB and use the 26" as a town bike/kid towing bike.

I guess it's partly that I don't want to buy too many bikes and end up not getting to ride them.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:45 am

I sometimes commute on my Surly ECR with full bikepacking gear. And while it's not fast it gets the job done.

About 2 months ago I built up a drop bar 29er based on a Carbon Trek Superfly frame. It has rigid steel forks, dynamo hub and lights, 1x11 with an 11-42 cassette and 38t chainring with Gevenelle shifters.

It's now my normal go to bike for commuting, even on the days I ride 10kms of singletrack.

I had my Krampus setup as the kid carrying bike but have just bought a Weehoo Igo that I will now be towing behind my Fatbike.

I ride more now with a 2 year old than I did before he was born.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:01 pm

Mugglechops wrote:About 2 months ago I built up a drop bar 29er based on a Carbon Trek Superfly frame. It has rigid steel forks, dynamo hub and lights, 1x11 with an 11-42 cassette and 38t chainring with Gevenelle shifters.
Pics?

I ride more now with a 2 year old than I did before he was born.
Kids are great to get you up and moving, even when you'd rather sit down :D I'll rock up home from my commute, and my son will immediately pounce and ask to go for a ride around the neighbourhood :D A slow 5km with the boy isn't the worst way to wind down.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:12 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaudIkWFd5E/

Hopefully this works.

I had a Merida CX4 and this is so much better. I still need to upgrade my brakes though.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:43 pm

I’m still off injured (DVT), so I have been reviewing my stable.

I sold my Cervelo S5 & Race wheels as I am basically done with racing.

I kept my Cervelo R5 as my climbing bike.

I still have my steel road bike, which in more recent times is what I have used on the Kickr

My Lynskey CX Bike has been my commuter bike for 6 years. I found a crack in the frame and sent it off for warranty repair. It came back a couple of weeks ago restored to as new condition.

While the Lynskey was off for repairs, I ordered a new frameset on an Adventure bike, which is a bike packing do it all bike. I have some dyno wheels and other parts coming from it.

I’m still trying to figure out what to do with both bikes. I am giving the Lynskey a refresh. New fork, new headset (bearings are shot, and I need a new crown race...cheaper to get a new headset!), new brake calipers to replace the aging BB7s. I have new SKS Longboards ready to go, but now I am trying to decide whether to set the new frameset up as the commuter and make the Lynskey the dedicated gravel bike.

Decisions decisions....
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:19 am

I would build a dedicated commuter bike with mudguards, fast rolling tyres and a bag rack and be done with it. This way you don’t have to worry about removing guards for cross or changing tyres. It will always be ready to go regardless of weather

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:51 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I would build a dedicated commuter bike with mudguards, fast rolling tyres and a bag rack and be done with it. This way you don’t have to worry about removing guards for cross or changing tyres. It will always be ready to go regardless of weather
Agree with this. Commuting is the only time when you don't have the luxury to swap wheels and guards and stuff about. Bike sits there ready to go saving you some morning time.

I'd still caution against using drop bars n MTB especially if you are not a seasoned MTBr - which I am assuming because you don't have a mtb.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:30 am

My current garage is:
Giant OCR3 (cheap roadie) commuter bike
Giant TCR Comp. 2 play roadie
Giant Anthem Advanced SL Race MTB
Giant Anthem X1 backup MTB

If I had to replace the lot in one hit, for the commuter I'd go for the Giant Contend (OCR/Defy descendent), fairly probably in disc brake form. In all honsety I could handle not replacing the TCR play bike, because I do not really do enough non-commute riding to worry about replacing it.

For the MTBs I'd go for a 27.5" Anthem for the regular/ race backup bike, as its slacker geometry is a tad friendlier to the stuff I ride on a weekly basis, but for the race bike I'd still have to chase out an Anthem Advanced SL 26" like I currently have, because it's such a sharp-handling weapon like no other MTB I've ridden.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

owly

Postby owly » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:43 pm

For two out of three of your options you could get a Curve GXR ti frameset and build it up as light as you want.

My Grovel ti is at 17lbs now. Light enough for commuting (with a narrower tyre/wheel swap), and also can handle all the gravel riding I can throw at it with 2.0 tyres and flared drop bars.
MUFC :twisted:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:50 am

singlespeedscott wrote:I would build a dedicated commuter bike with mudguards, fast rolling tyres and a bag rack and be done with it. This way you don’t have to worry about removing guards for cross or changing tyres. It will always be ready to go regardless of weather
That’s the idea. My Lynskey has been that bike for 6 years. I am just trying to decide whether to keep the Lynskey as the commuter, or use the new frameset for that. It probably makes sense, as it’s done well.
I can the set up the new frameset as my adventure bikepacking bike. It’s got rack & fender mounts as well, and the Dyno wheels should be here in a couple of weeks. If the Dyno wheels are good, I might actually buy a second set for the Lynskey :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi