What do you think of Giant Toughroad SLR 0

peter

What do you think of Giant Toughroad SLR 0

Postby peter » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:11 pm

Just a couple of weeks ago I was looking into Giant Fastroad (the flatbar with carbon frame), but after the recent mishap I thought better not to go any faster (not that I am fast). Right now I ride a Giant CRX 1, I am under the impression that wider tyres provide more stability (at the expense of greater rolling resistance). So the Toughroad seems to be a better option for me, primary use will be occasional commute and recreational rides on cycleway (and on road if I have to), no intention to ride in any "tough" conditions.

I have yet to see it at a bike shop but hopefully soon. Main concern is the gears, and getting used to it. Do you reckon the handling will be much different?

Current bike: Shimano compact 10 speed
Toughroad: Sram single 11 speed

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/toughroad-slr-0-2018

Usernoname

Re: What do you think of Giant Toughroad SLR 0

Postby Usernoname » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:49 pm

I've just got back from a 45k ride on bike/foot paths and safe road shoulders on a 'similar' bike running 9sp and 35 tires. Handling should be fine, gears also unless you want to kept above 35kph, which is pretty hard on paths :lol: the 34 front and 42 rear will get you up hills. Ix is great if you aren't planning on trying to kept up with roadies and climb mountains (although there was a guy on a shop ride on a Splesh Sirrus who kept towards the front - with a bit higher gearing for 60k's and 800m vert) . The 700 x 50 tires might be a bit of an overkill, 35-40's are probably the sweet spot for comfort, grip and roll.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:10 pm

I agree - 50mm will be super plush on footpath concrete seams etc, but will be harder to ride fast when you want to.
And keep in mind a compact road bike setup is 34 front, 32 rear, and even my chicken legs can spin up just about any incline with that. I reckon you could ride up a wall with 34-42 :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

peter

Postby peter » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:23 am

Haha! Might have to rethink, I rarely use the 34 on the compact, almost always stay on the 50. Will be weird to ride 34 exclusively.

The drop bar version of that bike might be a bit more all rounded, I guest hard to tell without a test ride.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:44 pm

The Tough Road is like the bike equivalent of a SUV (which ironically is neither sporty nor particularly utility). It's the not-off-roader that you get when you want to look like you go off-road but don't. The fatter tyres will give a bit more plushness on bumpy stuff, but do nothing for stability - that's in your ears.

For my view it's a bit of a pointless bike. Too heavy for smooth(ish) road/path use, which the Cross City and Fast Road are aimed at, and with rigid fork too unforgiving for mild off-road use, which is where the Roam with its suspension fork (ordinary though it is compared tofull-blown MTB forks) comes in to play.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

peter

Postby peter » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:32 pm

Call into Giant Sydney to have a look see, unfortunately they don’t have it and they don’t know when they will get some in, they also have no idea if any is in the country and they made zero attempt to check the system or to ring up the supplier. The guy wasn’t rude or anything, just unhelpful and uninterested. Very poor presales experience.