Bib knick sizing for a 189cm stick insect

Mububban

Bib knick sizing for a 189cm stick insect

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:34 pm

I'm 6 foot 2 and weigh 68kg. Can anyone else with the "stick insect" body shape recommend what brand, model and size of bib knicks fit the length of your torso, but aren't loose and baggy around your thighs?

I'm putting together a Wiggle order and would like to try the DHB bibs but am worried I'll end up buying to fit my skinny legs and have the shoulder straps be comically short, or buy for my height and end up with loose flapping legs rather than fitting snugly.

My thigh circumference is about 50cm :D

Thanks
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

MichaelB

Re: Bib knick sizing for a 189cm stick insect

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:40 pm

Mububban wrote:I'm 6 foot 2 and weigh 68kg. ...
:evil: I hate people like you ... :evil:

I'm at the other end of the scale, so can't help.

I've always found the guys at Prendas really helpful re sizing issues like that, and they are honest. They have lost a few sales because I didn't fit the available sizes on some of their gear.

tomness

Postby tomness » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:06 pm

I am 6'4' and weigh 77kgs, so I am fairly stick insect like. I get my bibs custom made from Eleven Velo, who are based in Sydney. From memory they make my bibs with a medium short with extra length to the legs and a large brace (top bib). They have been awesome. super snug fit to the legs, and the bib brace are very comfortable. The price is a little higher than your DHB type brands, but they have lasted me for years. They are definitely worth considering.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Mububban wrote: fit my skinny legs and have the shoulder straps be comically short
Could you not just do that, and then have any local dressmaker/alteration place add inserts into the shoulder straps? That might be cheaper in the long run.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 pm

RobertL wrote:
Mububban wrote: fit my skinny legs and have the shoulder straps be comically short
Could you not just do that, and then have any local dressmaker/alteration place add inserts into the shoulder straps? That might be cheaper in the long run.
Yes, that is plan B. I've found a local tailor to alter jerseys, I had thought of getting him to lengthen the shoulder straps, but if any of the "off the rack" options work, then that's plan A.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:21 pm

Wiggle online chat recommended a small in the DHB bibs. Their sizing chart for small is pretty right for my waist and chest, a bit small on the hips, and way short for the inside leg (81cm). My inside leg is about 90cm, but even the XXL only lists 85cm for inside leg.

I hope I don't end looking like Kylie Minogue in hot pants :D

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:29 pm

185cm, 70kg here. dhb (have both Aeron and Blok) in Medium is good on me. Should be enough stretch in the braces for your height, and the shorts are well fitted to my chicken thighs.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:47 pm

MattyK wrote:185cm, 70kg here. dhb (have both Aeron and Blok) in Medium is good on me. Should be enough stretch in the braces for your height, and the shorts are well fitted to my chicken thighs.
Thanks Matty.

is it worth the extra for the Aeron?

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Frankly they’re both very similar. A bit of difference in the pad and fabric, the Aeron is a bit more technical in the pad (more pronounced thick and thin sections) but both are comfy. Though I think the Aeron doesn’t get on as well with my tri saddle. The Aeron is probably a bit more airy in the top half though they both weigh about the same.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:53 pm

MattyK wrote:185cm, 70kg here. ... Medium is good on me. .
Young DD is 6'1 and 68kg
He wears medium in all his bibknicks ..Champ System, Morvelo, Attaquer etc

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:51 pm

I have some DHB Wiggle bib shorts in medium, I'm 183cm and 71 Kg, the straps were a bit tight and the shorts would end up like hotpants by the end of rides, therefore I didn't use them much. Whenever I washed them I would hang them up so the should straps stretched out. Now, after 6 years I've found the shoulder straps seem to be okay, the bottoms always fit well, large would have been too big, my thighs are about 55cm around with sticks for arms. I just ordered some medium Ftech bib shorts from PRO Bike Kit for $66, I'm hoping the straps fit better than the DHB ones, would look at getting them altered otherwise.
No signature

jaythefordman

Postby jaythefordman » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm 188cm and 81Kg, long torso and big arse/thighs. Because I'm a tightarse I get my kit from chinese sellers, Racmmer through Aliexpress has proved to be good for $39, but I solve my problem by going XXL for bibs and L for jersey. Works pretty well for me

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:15 pm

Cheers everyone. I've ordered some of the DHB Flashlight bibs in medium. I opted for the reflective model as I'm often on the road before the sun is up.
Bentnose wrote:I have some DHB Wiggle bib shorts in medium, I'm 183cm and 71 Kg, the straps were a bit tight and the shorts would end up like hotpants by the end of rides, therefore I didn't use them much. Whenever I washed them I would hang them up so the should straps stretched out. Now, after 6 years I've found the shoulder straps seem to be okay, the bottoms always fit well, large would have been too big
Well at least they seem to be durable if nothing else! If I need to adjust the shoulder straps I will, I've got a jersey coming soon that'll need to be adjusted anyway.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:33 pm

The medium DHB bib knicks fit me well for skinniness. They're a bit short in the leg but that's the compromise to avoid a baggy fit. Thanks for the help everyone.

It's a lot harder to have a quick pee though!

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:57 am

Mububban wrote:The medium DHB bib knicks fit me well for skinniness. They're a bit short in the leg but that's the compromise to avoid a baggy fit. Thanks for the help everyone.

Quick pee is easy, just roll up the leg, a dump is harder. I highly recommend the Ftech bibs from PBK, I just received a med bib and it fits great with long legs, higher quality than the DHB one I had and only $66 at the moment.
No signature

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:58 am

185cm and a portly 80kg here at the moment. Mediums in a dhb ASV are a tight fit but long enough. The ASVs don't roll up. Large is also OK but not as firm a fit as I like.

Aiming to get my weight back down to the mid-70s at least in the next 6 months and reclaim my high school nickname from the OP. :evil:

Interesting to note that at 81kg last week I was checking my BMI and I was at the high end of normal - another kg would tip me into "overweight"

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Bentnose wrote:
Mububban wrote:The medium DHB bib knicks fit me well for skinniness. They're a bit short in the leg but that's the compromise to avoid a baggy fit. Thanks for the help everyone.

Quick pee is easy, just roll up the leg, a dump is harder. I highly recommend the Ftech bibs from PBK, I just received a med bib and it fits great with long legs, higher quality than the DHB one I had and only $66 at the moment.
I bought two pairs of the Ftech's when on special at PBK and agree they are better quality than the DHB Classic's I've owned in the past. I'm a size small in the Ftech's at 64kg and 179cm.