Disc brakes or not

Barraboolcyclist

Disc brakes or not

Postby Barraboolcyclist » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:12 pm

Hello All
Im am currently in the market for a new bike and after shopping around my local bike shops for the last few weeks I'm getting mixed feedback on disc brakes, I Understand that they are going to better in the wet. I myself I'm not that keen on them just yet as i like the classical look of calipers, but I fear that if I am to buy a bike now without disc breaks, that 2 or 3 years down the track I will be left behind and most people will be on disc brakes.
so my big question is, are most people who are buying new bikes now getting them with disc brakes or should I stick to normal rim brakes.
would be great to hear what brakes people have gone with when purchasing a brand new bike recently.
Cheers
P.s Iv been looking at the Trek Emonda SL7 (Would appreciate other Suggestions)
Last edited by Barraboolcyclist on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

silentC

Re: Disc breaks or not

Postby silentC » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:37 pm

There is no definitive answer to your question. Disc BRAKES are here to stay, and as my signature suggests, it is my personal belief that in time they will dominate. I make no comment on whether or not that is a good or bad thing.

That being said there is no reason to think that you are suddenly going to be the only person around riding rim brakes. It is a proven technology that many cyclists are in favour of keeping. I can't see any reason not to buy a bike with rim brakes if the bike otherwise suits you - and from your post it seems you prefer the aesthetics of rim brakes, so why not settle for that as a good enough reason?

People will try to convince you of the relative methods. You are never going to get a consensus view on it, as a few minutes searching the forum will reveal.

So just buy the bike you like and stop worrying about something that doesn't really matter all that much.

Disclosure: my main bike has disc brakes and I like them.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:56 pm

My next bike will be disc braked. I'm just waiting for axle standards to settle. Having used them for over a decade on mountain bikes, I find I prefer the aesthetics. The only thing that is a serious stylistic faux pas is using rim brake rims on a disc brake wheel build. Other pluses are being able to run carbon rims and not kill them in wet weather riding or down extended steep descents.

The major plus for me is the consistency of braking and modulation regardless of weather conditions. I'm not made of sugar, the only time weather stops me is when gusty high wind conditions or poor visibility make riding in traffic safely problematic.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Nah, disc brakes don't break - I hope.
Last edited by RonK on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Barraboolcyclist

Postby Barraboolcyclist » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:06 pm

I'd go disc. I much prefer the braking it provides, especially if it's wet.

I now have a disc braked (but flat bar) roadie. I don't mind the aesthetics, but I prefer off road biking, so am used to the look of disc brakes on my favourite bikes. I do have an old fixie, with one calliper brake and it will stay in the fleet for 'old school'. 6 bikes, 5x disc braked.

End of the day, it's your bike and you need to live with 'looks' and decide if function overrides form. Rim brakes will stop you just fine though.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Go whichever way you like. But at least ride a hydro disc braked bike and then you can come back and tell us how much you love it. Buying a caliper braked bike doesn't mean the parts are gonna disappear overnight. The parts catalogue will continue for a while.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:04 pm

I prefer not to have any breaks on my bikes.

Brakes on the other hand......
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:16 pm

Duck! wrote:Brakes on the other hand......
Are the subject of several threads discussing the pros and cons of various flavours (e.g. http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93278 and http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=96694).

Brakes do break, eventually
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Warin

Postby Warin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:58 pm

Duck! wrote:I prefer not to have any breaks on my bikes.
No tea, coffee, bakery or lunch for you then?

----------------
I prefer disk brakes as there is no rim ware, just disk ware (as well as the friction material). Much simpler and easier to replace a disk then a rim - cheaper too.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 pm

Warin wrote:
Duck! wrote:I prefer not to have any breaks on my bikes.
No tea, coffee, bakery or lunch for you then?
No, I'm a hardnut, I don't stop until I've finished. :mrgreen:

----------------
I prefer disk brakes as there is no rim ware, just disk ware (as well as the friction material). Much simpler and easier to replace a disk then a rim - cheaper too.
I could pick plenty of holes in that too.....

Comedian

Re: Disc brakes or not

Postby Comedian » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi. I'm the resident anti disc heretic/troll. I'd say buy whatever makes you happy. Don't make your decision based on what you think other people might think. Pro disc brake people can be very forceful in their beliefs. Beware of people who have vested interests. Buy what will work for you.

The technical editor for cycling tips ran a poll recently, and was very surprised that there were so many people who were like me - very happy with rim brakes.

https://twitter.com/angryasian/status/9 ... 2936471552

If this keeps up I'm optimistic that rim brakes will not only remain an option - but they will continue to be developed as a performance option.

Be aware that if you aren't keen on doing your own maintenance, then if you have troubles you'll be back and forth to the shop handing over dollars. Even if you do your own maintenance - if you need parts you'll likely have to replace lots of expensive bits.

If you do bunch rides remember that any extra braking ability of disc bikes will be of little use unless you enjoy having your friends crash into you. Consider that road bike tyres are tiny, and the weight distribution means that it's easy to generate enough braking force to go over the bars with either brake system. If you don't ride in the rain much then why would you bother?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:49 pm

I'll bite, because you continue to spout incorrect information. Most of the extra braking ability of disc brakes, especially hydro, is NOT outright power, because as you do correctly state, there's only so much grip the tyres can have on the road. Discs' big advantage is the controllability of the available power. Yes you can reef on big handfuls, but there is much finer progression. If you dab the brakes in a bunch, you're more likely to have a tailing rider run up your bum if you're on aluminium rims with soft-compound grabby pads than you are with discs.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:59 pm

Ignore Comedian's post which is largely a work of fiction. I have a bike with rim brakes and another with disc brakes. Disc brakes are superior in every way. In almost 16,000km of riding over 27 months the only maintenance I've performed on the disc brakes is to change the front pads.

Here's what Cadel Evans has to say:

“In my personal riding experience, [discs provide] fantastic performance and brake modulation. It works the same every time you pull on the lever, which allows you to brake much later going into corners and carry more speed through the apex of the corner, which then results in higher exit speeds, which results in going faster, which results in a big grin on your face. I don’t think [the objections have] anything to do with the technology or the capabilities of disc brakes. In fact, after using it, I’m quite sure it’s not.”

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:23 pm

biker jk wrote:Ignore Comedian's post which is largely a work of fiction. I have a bike with rim brakes and another with disc brakes. Disc brakes are superior in every way. In almost 16,000km of riding over 27 months the only maintenance I've performed on the disc brakes is to change the front pads.

Here's what Cadel Evans has to say:

“In my personal riding experience, [discs provide] fantastic performance and brake modulation. It works the same every time you pull on the lever, which allows you to brake much later going into corners and carry more speed through the apex of the corner, which then results in higher exit speeds, which results in going faster, which results in a big grin on your face. I don’t think [the objections have] anything to do with the technology or the capabilities of disc brakes. In fact, after using it, I’m quite sure it’s not.”
That's the guy who works for a bike company who wants to sell you a bike. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Comedian on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:24 pm

Duck! wrote:I'll bite, because you continue to spout incorrect information. Most of the extra braking ability of disc brakes, especially hydro, is NOT outright power, because as you do correctly state, there's only so much grip the tyres can have on the road. Discs' big advantage is the controllability of the available power. Yes you can reef on big handfuls, but there is much finer progression. If you dab the brakes in a bunch, you're more likely to have a tailing rider run up your bum if you're on aluminium rims with soft-compound grabby pads than you are with discs.
6 inches. That's how far I sit behind the guy ahead. Car's have really good brakes and if they sat 6 inches behind each other there would be lots more crashes. It's about reaction time. Unless people who buy bikes with discs have better reactions?? :roll:

That's the guy who works for a bike shop that wants you to pay him to fix your brakes. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Comedian on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:24 pm

And they call me the troll! :mrgreen:

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:27 pm

Comedian wrote:
Duck! wrote:I'll bite, because you continue to spout incorrect information.
That's the guy who works for a bike shop that wants you to pay him to fix your brakes. :mrgreen:
I've said plenty of times before, and will repeat again, 'cos you seem unable to comprehend, rim brakes need MORE maintenance!!!

Comparison of brake service, which I do on a daily basis....
Rim brake bike:
Check pad wear. If low, replace pads. If OK, pick bits of grit out of pads. File pad surface to remove glazing & other finer gritty bits. Check cables for fraying, rusting, excessive friction. If frayed or corroded, replace cables. If OK, lubricate cables. Check caliper pivots for excess friction/binding. Disassemble, clean and lubricate pivots as necessary. Check rims for wear. If bad, advise customer that new rim + rebuild, or new wheel is required. Adjust pad toe-in. Adlust contact height on rim. Adjust cables for proper contact stroke. If new cables, stretch and adjust (section relating to cables equally valid for mechanical discs).

Disc brake (esp. hydro) bike:
Check pad wear. If low, replace pads and push pistons back to reset clearance. If OK, scuff on sandpaper to remove surface glazing. Refit pads. Check rotor wear. If too thin, replace rotors. If good, leave alone. Check caliper alignment over rotor. Check brake pressure, bleed if spongy or if fluid expansion has reduced stroke..

Three lines for disc brake service vs six lines for rim brake. And you tell me disc brakes need more maintenance.
Last edited by Duck! on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:32 pm

Comedian wrote:
6 inches. That's how far I sit behind the guy ahead. Car's have really good brakes and if they sat 6 inches behind each other there would be lots more crashes. It's about reaction time. Unless people who buy bikes with discs have better reactions?? :roll:
Cars weigh a shedload more, as in at least 10x more than a portly bloke on a bike, so it's more down to fundamental physics trying to slow that mass than reaction time. Your point is invalid.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:00 am

Comedian wrote:Hi. I'm the resident anti disc heretic/troll.
You are just the most vocal.
I couldn't care about the industries latest marketing must have either :wink:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

RichB

Postby RichB » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:14 am

I purchased a few months back and was in a similar position. I do love the classic lines, but weighing it up, there just wasn't that much going for rim brakes apart from aesthetics and simplicity of the system (not the same as ease of use, disc wins hands down there given how smooth it is to apply as much power as you'd like).

Additionally, some manufacturers with disc brake options are pushing through axles, whilst others remain quick release. So that's another question for you. My view was if disc brakes take off so too will through axles eventually, and given how the industry revolves around change it might also whether discs catch on or not. Half joking there obviously.

Bottom line, if you think you'd benefit from disc brakes, are not averse to a disc braked look, and you don't have expensive existing 'old standard' parts you'd like to utilise, then consider the disc brake bike. And yep, mine got disc brakes & through axles.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:27 am

I'll sit on the fence. :D
Had discs for 2.5 years. Had rim brakes for 47 years. My current DA, Tektro and 105 rim calipers work just as well as the discs if it's dry. The DA work very well in the wet too.
The discs don't excite me much. Rims don't wear, good. Work in the wet, good. Modulation, sorta good, no big deal for me. Barely any maintenance on either system, ho hum.
Presented with two identical bikes excepting rim vs. discs. I'd pick rim brakes unless the disc version was cheaper and lighter, which isn't normally the case.
I'm a traditionalist and prefer the look of rim calipers but don't mind disc in an indifferent sort of way.

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:24 am

Duck! wrote:Three lines for disc brake service vs six lines for rim brake. And you tell me disc brakes need more maintenance.
Yep. Much easier with disks.

Looks like, for some, this is a religious decision.

spannermonkey

Postby spannermonkey » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:58 am

Disc brakes should have
1-ABS
2-2 rotors & calipers on each wheel NOT just 1

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:31 am

spannermonkey wrote:Disc brakes should have
1-ABS
2-2 rotors & calipers on each wheel NOT just 1
Why? Disc brakes have been functioning perfectly well on MTB for years with one rotor and no ABS.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.