Im torn - Which Giant Contend should I buy?

fergy1987

Im torn - Which Giant Contend should I buy?

Postby fergy1987 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:46 pm

So I am looking at buying my first road bike and like the look of the Giant Contend SL Disc bikes....but am torn as to which one I should buy. I don't do HUGE rides but want something that is going to last me a while and not give me an upgrade itch and will eventually be using this bike to commute to work (around 20km each way) once I get some more fitness.

Options are
1. 2017 Giant Contend SL 2 DISC for a clearance price (about 1000)
2. 2018 Giant Contend SL 2 Disc for at a bit below full price (around 1400)
3. 2018 Giant Content SL 1 Disc for a bit below full price (around 1600)

So between the 2017 and 2018 SL 2's all I can really see the difference being is with tubeless wheels - Not sure if its the same model Tiagra groupset or if there were any upgrades between 2017 and 2018

Then there is the SL 1 Disc with its 105 groupset, tubeless tyres and 11 speed.

Question really is - Is it worth me spending an extra 600 to upgrade to current year model and 105 groupset?

Any advice? Thanks :)

bychosis

Re: Im torn - Which Giant Contend should I buy?

Postby bychosis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:42 pm

How deep are your pockets? If money is tight the ‘17 model is a fair whack cheaper and the ‘18 1 model which has a little upgrade for a reasonable amount of coin.

Have you done a little research to see if there is appereciable difference between the 17 and 18 models? Sometimes it’s just a paint job, other years it will be a refresh of geometry. If it is just a paint job, go with the 17. If the geometry has changed it might be worth the upgrade to ‘18.

For reference I just bought a 17 model mountain bike, demo stock so it was a fair bit cheaper, but it is pretty much the same as the 18 model, unlike the big differences between 16&17 models.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jarwil80

Postby jarwil80 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:58 pm

I was in your position late last year looking for my first road bike.

I went into my LBS to look at the Contend (rim brake models) for under 1k. Luckily I had the wife with me and with some discussion with the sales guy I was steered towards a Giant Defy Advanced 3 2017 model. After having a look and being advised he could offer a discount to $2k, I had bought my first road bike and have now been riding it, i love it.

I think if I had of gone with the Contend, I would have been looking to upgrade quickly and am glad I spent the extra money and can see me having this bike for many years.

Just thought I would let you know which way I went when I was in your position.

Good luck.
Giant Talon 4 2015
Giant Defy Advanced 3 2017

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:39 pm

2017 model is getting on a bit stock wise now so that's definitely the best deal for the dollar. That being said if you're going to upgrade your bike by far the time to do that is at purchase and 11 speed 105 and what I presume are higher spec wheels are probably well worth the extra for the SL1 '18 if you have the cash.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 pm

there is always room to upgrade. e.g carbon frame, electronic shifting, they will probably have 12 speed soon ..

does your work have a secure location to put your pricier bike? Will you leave it anywhere else?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:27 pm

The '17 and '18 Contends use the same frame,only small running gear details differ. The Tiagra groupset has not received any updates in the interim, while 105 only got a new front derailleur modelled off the new lower-profile R9100 Dura-Ace & R8000 Ultegra models, which incidentally hasn't been fitted to any Contends I've met yet, with the rest of the group unchanged; 105 is due for a full makeover later this year, while Tiagra will get its turn next year.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:22 am

Well I have decided to rule out the 2017 Content SL 2 because I just realised it has Mechanical disc brakes. Think I would prefer the 'semi hydraulic' conduct system over pure Mechanical discs. Not to keen on the semi hydraulic either, I assume it wont have the same feel as full hydraulics.

However in my research I have then come across the Canyon Endurace AL 7.0........I want it :P - but yeah not really keen on spending that kind of cash at the moment, or very comfortable with the whole ship from Germany without trying process......Although I am potentially going to Germany later this year, but I don't want to wait until September for a new bike :P - But it might be worth a visit to the factory :P

Is there any details or murmurs on the 2019 Giant range out there and any changes they may receive?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:04 am

Giant won't start releasing anything on 2019 models until mid-year. They typically build their frames over a three year production run, and with '18 being only the second year for the current series, so don't expect anything radically different. The only real change will be the 105-equipped model, as that group is in line for a full update later this year; Shimano typically reveal the details in April or May.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

HyperHorse

Postby HyperHorse » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:59 pm

Have you been to Planet Cycles (AT) Woollongabba? They should have something your price range.
GT Outpost, Silver, Medium..
Standard except for Serfas Drifters Road tyres..