Help identify this bike - what's it worth?

Quillista

Help identify this bike - what's it worth?

Postby Quillista » Thu May 03, 2018 8:50 pm

Hello I don't know much about bicycles so I need some help identifying this one and maybe the original rrp.

On the frame it says..

Azzurri (manufacturer?)
Imperia
Carbon monocoque/matrix
12k t700

The brakes say shimano ultegra flight deck.
The other parts just say shimano ultegra.
The bike is blue with a little white and black.
The wheels say aksion pro.

Does anyone know where to find this bike online? Is it a good road bike? Thanks.

10speedsemiracer

Re: Help identify this bike - what's it worth?

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu May 03, 2018 10:40 pm

Do the wheels say Aksion or Aksium, or is Aksion written on the tyres (which would be more likely). This means they're Michelin tyres, but irrelevant in the bike's build quality etc.

From what I recall, these were an Aluminium/Carbon frame (not full carbon), I think the stays were carbon while the main frame was 6061 Aluminium. An ok spec when new, I think RRP was $1999 for the 105 bike, and this one may have been optioned up to Ultegra, or the Ultegra may have been retro-fitted. Remember reviewers of the time (2011-ish) were all saying similar things, i.e. not a great bike, but not a bad bike. Depends how much seller is looking for and more importantly, condition (esp frame).

Oh and with the $1999, I also think they were heavily discounted during their run, so may have sold for $1500-ish. I remember helping someone decide on a cheap training bike at the time, ended up going with a Giant Defy 105, and upgraded the wheelset. That was a surprisingly good bike.
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Fri May 04, 2018 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu May 03, 2018 10:59 pm

"Carbon monocoque" indicates full carbon frame, so higher spec. 12k T700 adds weight to this; T700 is the grade of fibre, 12k is the weave pattern of the outer finish layer (12,000 fibres in each yarn of the weave - big weave pattern).

Echo the above comments - reasonable frame, but nothing outstanding. Being full carbon rather than aluminium/carbon hybrid would have pushed the price up closer to $3000. Going by the prominence of the "Flight Deck" logos on the brake lever heads, I'm tipping it's 6600-series Ultegra, which dates it from at the latest a 2009-model bike, and as early as 2005 model (released late '04). If it's been well mainatined the running gear is still very good quality, but if it's been neglected could be getting a bit tired.

What it's worth now? At a rough guess probably 1/4 of what it cost new.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Quillista

Postby Quillista » Thu May 03, 2018 11:58 pm

Guys thanks for the replies. I had no idea this was such an expensive bike. I did suspect it was good value, and I bought it today from a local 2nd hand shop for $200 AUD. They had about 25 bikes out the front, and another 50 or so in the back. Nothing looked as good as this one. There were some kmart mountain bikes there for 220, so I don't think they knew more than I did. They did want 270, but the guy mentioned it had been there for 3 months and they sounded desperate to sell these bikes that had piled up. I said 240, they said we can do 220(seriously) then I said well that sounds like you can do it for 200 and the guy said yep we can.

I took a photo https://imgur.com/E6S4PZ5
The only big scratches on it are one of the break levers and the rear gear changer (derailleur?). It does take some getting used to, since I have not ridden a road bike before. But this thing is really fast.

Thanks for the info about it.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri May 04, 2018 1:54 am

The only advice I can give, aside from maintenance, is keep the receipt.
Secondhand sellers (incl outlets like Cash Converters etc) don't have a great track record when it comes to checking title/origin of goods.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go