Urban bike and weehoo trailer combo

ausmomo

Urban bike and weehoo trailer combo

Postby ausmomo » Fri May 04, 2018 9:29 am

Hi all,

I'm about to return to riding after a ~6 year break. I want to take my 4 year old son on ~15-20km rides in a weehoo recumbent trailer. 100% bike paths. Nice and easy. Only a few hills of note in Brisbane.

Bike-wise I'd like to spend ~$1000 (inc accessories like pump, lights), and the weehoo is ~$400.

I'm currently leaning towards;
https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2018- ... -city-bike for $650, which will leave me with some $ for accessories.

Does anyone have much to share about these Polygons? Or the components at least? My riding knowledge base is somewhat outdated, and lacking as it is!

find_bruce

Re: Urban bike and weehoo trailer combo

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 04, 2018 10:09 am

I had my son in a weehoo from ~3 - based on my experience you will want some low gearing for the short sharp inclines. With the extra weight of the weehoo, discs brakes are nice to have

The Polygon has a low gear of 26T at the front & 34 at the rear, which will be just fine, 9 speed with a mix of Shimano Altus/ Acera & hydraulic discs so its not a bad package.

Have you thought of looking second hand at the weehoo? They are pretty indestructible & rarely get used enough to be significantly worn. The only thing to check for is that you have the appropriate size adapter for the seat post as replacements are expensive. Currently for sale in Brisbane

Current model $250 with a free bike
Anything you can do, I can do slower

ausmomo

Re: Urban bike and weehoo trailer combo

Postby ausmomo » Fri May 04, 2018 11:37 am

find_bruce wrote:Have you thought of looking second hand at the weehoo? They are pretty indestructible & rarely get used enough to be significantly worn. The only thing to check for is that you have the appropriate size adapter for the seat post as replacements are expensive. Currently for sale in Brisbane
Current model $250 with a free bike
Thanks for your reply.

I just went and bought the weehoo :)

The chain is missing, but shouldn't be too hard to fix. No idea re the seat post adapter, as I don't own the bike yet. Hopefully it's the right size.