165mm Cranks for a hybrid

mangoman

165mm Cranks for a hybrid

Postby mangoman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:29 am

Hello,

I'm pretty new to cycling, i have a Reid Urban X2 which has a Suntour XCM Crankset, its a 27 speed bike with a 68mm BB(this is a link to its specs https://www.reidcycles.com.au/urban-x2.html).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap way to get 165mm cranks on it? I wouldnt want to be spending much more than $100, otherwise i figure id be better off putting it towards a faster bike!

Many Thanks,
Martin

10speedsemiracer

Re: 165mm Cranks for a hybrid

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:06 am

mangoman wrote:Hello,

I'm pretty new to cycling, i have a Reid Urban X2 which has a Suntour XCM Crankset, its a 27 speed bike with a 68mm BB(this is a link to its specs https://www.reidcycles.com.au/urban-x2.html).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap way to get 165mm cranks on it? I wouldnt want to be spending much more than $100, otherwise i figure id be better off putting it towards a faster bike!

Many Thanks,
Martin
Quick question, why do you need 165mm cranks?

There is a 165mm 9sp triple Shimano Alivio but the gearing on that is 40/30/22t and it needs a bottom bracket change to a Shimano Hollowtech II format (SM-BB52) so it is possible, however possibly not economical. Crankset should be around $70-$80 and a BB about $30.

Just a question of finding one.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:38 am

Just be aware that going from 175mm to 165mm will be a pronounced difference in how the bike feels, both from a standing start (harder to get going) and at speed (higher tendency to spin), as well as other scenarios.
Before messing with the cranks and BB, would recommend making sure that you have seat/bars in the right position.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

mangoman

Postby mangoman » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:58 am

Hi thanks for the replies!

I saw the Alivio Shimano on a few websites, i read someone write a review saying it came in a 165mm but i havent seen it anywhere, and thought it was a typo. I might look around more for it and thanks for the heads up about the bottom bracket.

i just wanted to try a few things out, unfortunately im pretty sure the bike is a size too big for me. My knees have been hurting a bit lately and i want to reduce the angle of my knees at the top of the stroke.

Ive noticed when i sit right back over the back of the seat (its already pushed all the way back) that its a lot easier on my knees, but it doesnt feel very efficient for pedalling and isnt particularly comfortable on the seat.

Relative to the pedals im confident that the seat is too low, I was thinking of pushing the seat up again, but i've always had really tight calves since i remember so i'm worried about falling over if i push it any higher. As well as the fact that i think the bike is too big. I tried it higher before but after i cramped up on the way home i pushed it down a touch. Although it was a slightly longer trip than i was used to and warmish on the ride out.

I guess i'm reading too much into it, but also i was looking at some stuff on line about crank lengths and if i understood it correctly some of the charts/guides are saying a person of 168cm could be on cranks even shorter.