Recommend an all rounder

V-meister

Recommend an all rounder

Postby V-meister » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:02 am

Hey friends

So I think there are a few threads that touch on what I'm looking for, but wanted to put it out to the community nonetheless and get some collective wisdom.

As the subject suggests, I'm looking for a bit of a do-it-all bike. To date, I've done about 1,000km commuting on a flatbar Giant Toughroad SLR2 - stock apart from some Conti Cyclocross Speed tyres in 35c. Prior to that, I briefly owned a Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc 105. Beautiful bike but didn't end up wanting to commute on it and I also felt that the true road riding scene wasn't for me (plus, we were about to welcome our first child and I realised weekend riding wouldn't be on the cards for a while).

So, my situation has now changed as I have a new job that means I'll be working from home - hence no longer need to commute (and I just sold the Toughroad). I do still want to get out and ride though, but I've realised the kind of riding I like is "feel good" riding. I'm the kind of guy that wants a nice bike to look at and own, get out for some exercise and also maybe explore a bit down the track. Mostly pavement riding but want the ability to ride on crappy Sydney roads and paths (including going up gutters) and go slightly off the beaten path if I want to. Fundamentally, I'd like a slightly relaxed geo but not a slow bike that I can have fun riding (I only ever race against myself).

Hence I think the new adventure/all road/gravel (whatever you want to call them) bikes could be good candidates. I'm not a weight weenie but if I'm spending a good amount, I don't want something very heavy. I like the idea of 'road plus' but not necessary, however I definitely want hydraulic brakes. Part of me also romanticises about steel (I have no idea why).

The budget is $2-3k for a complete bike (I've already got everything else I need). Any immediate recommendations or thoughts?

A few things I've come across or considered:

Kona Rove NRB DL (not sure if I want alloy for that kind of money)
Bombtrack Audax or Hook
Norco Search XR Steel
Merida Silex 400 (alloy) or 6000 (carbon - not out yet)
Giant TCX Advanced SX (but decided against it as it's a bit racy)
Giant Toughroad SLR GX (too similar to my last bike? Sold out in my size anyway)
Curve Kevin of Steel (this is a bit of a impulse based on desire and would be a splurge for something special - Also, I have no idea how to size up and choose a frame based on geo)

I'm happy to wait a few months for all the new stuff to come out if I have to, but keen to hear your ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Thoglette

Re: Recommend an all rounder

Postby Thoglette » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:30 am

To quote from another thread
nickobec wrote:The correct answer is whatever bike will get you out of bed and riding.
There's been a number of threads on this recently. A few I can find quickly are:
Buying an endurance bike - Hills and long distance
General mid-distance bike
Help for Inexpensive Light Touring Bike Option.

One previous response I gave included
Thoglette wrote:In addition to the Malvern Star Oppy S* a couple of other bikes have been mentioned.

Like yourself I'm a little underwhelmed at the weight of most of them: you shouldn't need to pay JP Weigle prices to get down to 10kg (excluding racks and lights - JP did 9.7 including racks, lights and luggage). I know most of them come with disks but the weight penalty should be under a kilo by now.

Thoughts on modern mass produced 650B randonneurs
MASI randonneur
Crust Lightning Bolt 2
plus frames
Velo Orange Polyvalent
Soma Grand Randonneur
Crust Lightning-bolt (some in .au)
Rawland Stag
Box Dog Pelican
Boulder All road 650
plus others. The challenge is finding any of them in .au

Help for Inexpensive Light Touring Bike Option.
Reid Granites (1.0 to 3.0)
Gios Spazio Tourer
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:23 am

I have a Fuji Tread which I've found a surprisingly enjoyable and versatile bike. The Fujis can be a little bit undervalued compared to other brands, you get a lot of bike for your dollar.

Fuji Jari? Seems they only bring the alu version out to Oz, but there is a steel version available. Single front ring might not be ideal, many of the others are double front.

Jim

Velt

Postby Velt » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:34 am

Trek Checkpoint looks pretty tops for that. There's also things like the canyon endurace al, which has excellent reviews and clearance for 30mm+ tyres.

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:22 am

Thanks for the responses so far.

The Fuji's do look good - the tread in particular is good value (but alloy and mechanical discs - Can't seem to find a steel model in Aus).

The Checkpoint (ALR5) looks good too. Got me thinking about whether alloy frame is actually a big deal, since larger tyres will make it a more compliant ride.

Winter is no good for choice, as the new bikes are all coming out over the next few months and the old models are mostly sold out.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:54 pm

I dont think the Tread comes in steel, only the Jari seems to (its listed on the US site but not the Aussie site)? It fit my budget, but hydro brakes would be my second upgrade, after the wheels.

There is an Apollo which is very similar to the Fuji, though not bountiful, the Apollo Giro AR1.

Having CF, steel and alu bikes, I cant feel a hugely appreciable difference between the steel and aluminium. Of course, they are different styles as well. But if you want steel, can afford/find it, and it makes you happy, go for it!

Jim

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Kona Roadhouse, not really a CX bike, not really a Touring bike but sounds like it may be perfect for your needs.

Reynolds steel, Shimano hyd disc, 30mm Schwalbe tyres, 105/Ultegra mix groupset.

There's one for sale by a member here somewhere :

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... e#p1450034
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks for the insight Jim - I probably wouldn't notice too much of a difference between the different materials, particularly with plush tyres.

10speedsemiracer - good call on the Roadhouse. I'd have been interested in it but it's way too big. I'll look them up new though - cheers!

owly

Postby owly » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:18 am

There's a discounted 56cm Jamis Renegade carbon in Syd:-
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/cyclo ... /102920242
(TRP brakes).

I'd look into learning a bit about sizing up yourself for a frame using one of the online calculators. You could also pay for a fitting session which will give you some numbers to match in a bike. Use those numbers against the geometry tables you see for a model.

Edit: the Curve steel Kevin is now up for you to drool over.
MUFC :twisted:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 pm

V-meister wrote:Thanks for the insight Jim - I probably wouldn't notice too much of a difference between the different materials, particularly with plush tyres.
Perhaps not, but there are certain frame design options which exist in steel that are de classe in CFRP and Al.

You know, like frames and forks that aren't so rigid that they remove your fillings.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:21 am

You did list this bike.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/toughroad-slr-gx-0

I think it is a good choice. Giant have the best warranty in the game.
The compact frame comes in handy at low speeds on rough ground.
It has discs, 40 inch tires, hydraulics...
Giant are the best value for money in my view.
Though the paint jobs are the most generic.

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:52 pm

owly wrote:
the Curve steel Kevin is now up for you to drool over.
SO nice - especially in the green! If I knew what I was doing, I’d buy a frame set and put something together. Just wouldn’t know where to start and how much to expect everything to cost.
CKinnard wrote:You did list this bike.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/toughroad-slr-gx-0

I think it is a good choice. Giant have the best warranty in the game.
The compact frame comes in handy at low speeds on rough ground.
It has discs, 40 inch tires, hydraulics...
Giant are the best value for money in my view.
Though the paint jobs are the most generic.
Absolutely - can never really go wrong with a Giant. I would’ve pulled the trigger on one of those but they sold out in my size nationally!

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:50 am

Update: With end of season sales, most of my size has been sold out so I resigned to having to wait a few months for the models to come out.

That said, Specialized have a bit of a discount going on their Sequoia models, so I'm contemplating a Sequoia Elite if I can get a deal in my size.

Seems like a good do it all bike, albeit a little heavy but I think it'd be enjoyable (test ride will tell) and a spare set of wheels (eventually) could help bring the weight down.

Cheers for all the advice thus far,
V

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:18 pm

Have a look at the Scott Addict Gravel Disk 30 https://www.bikebug.com/scott-addict-gr ... 78611.html

I was looking at pretty much all of the bikes you listed, but went with the Scott in the end. I got it for $3100, through Bike Bug. It's got plenty of tyre clearance and well specced for the price. I've run 35 mm and 40 mm tyres on it. Still plenty of clearance with the 40 mm tyres.

Here's a link to a 90 km ride I did today with the bike, with a few pics - https://www.strava.com/activities/1626150316

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:19 pm

lewie15 wrote:Have a look at the Scott Addict Gravel Disk 30 https://www.bikebug.com/scott-addict-gr ... 78611.html

I was looking at pretty much all of the bikes you listed, but went with the Scott in the end. I got it for $3100, through Bike Bug. It's got plenty of tyre clearance and well specced for the price. I've run 35 mm and 40 mm tyres on it. Still plenty of clearance with the 40 mm tyres.

Here's a link to a 90 km ride I did today with the bike, with a few pics - https://www.strava.com/activities/1626150316
Nice work lewie, and nice bike. Seems stock is limited on these too. My Sequoia idea has all but died too, for the same reason. 99 Bikes are getting the Silex 6000 carbon in soon, which could be worth a look for $2,900.

Failing all that, I'll be waiting a few months for all the new stuff to come out and see if there's anything good!

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:15 pm

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=97225

Edit: just read they sold out in your size and you already purchased the Scott.

Enjoy the bike mate looks great !

V-meister

Postby V-meister » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 am

Defy The Odds wrote:http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=97225

Edit: just read they sold out in your size and you already purchased the Scott.

Enjoy the bike mate looks great !
Thanks mate, wasn't me that bought the Scott though, it was a suggestion from lewie. I'm still bikeless and at this stage will wait the few months for all the new models to trickle out!

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:55 pm

I recently came across this Polygon gravel bike - Bend RV - Alu frame, carbon fork, 10kg, 40mm tyres, hydraulic disk brakes, 1x11 (might be an issue) for $1699 (free delivery) and all sizes in stock:

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polyg ... ke~1716572

lindsaybo

Postby lindsaybo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:41 am

Ive found that some of the gravel bikes look promising particularly the specialized diverge comp e5 and the cannondale caadx 105 se. Both with 105 groupset 11/32 cassette and 48/32 cranks. Plenty of space for wider tyres and the diverge has mounts for racks. I took a look at the specialized sequoia but the rims look much wider than my touring bike and the bike feels a little heavy with the steel frame. Kona looks great but the gearing is generally a lower spec than equivalent priced bikes like giant cannondale etc.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:19 pm

How's the allrounder search going V-Meister. I've just gone through a similar exercise. I was looking to replace my trusty old 2007 Giant OCR2 (updated a few years back with 10 speed 105 and some Craftworx wheels) and also a 2012 Merida Speeder built up with dirt drops and stronger wheels with 35's to ride bike paths, rough roads and the forest. I'm a 103kg recreational cyclist who generally does road, bike track and forest loops out to 70 or so km max. I don't use the bike for touring, just day trip riding for fun.

My neighbour and sometimes cycling buddy (he's a few km/h quicker than me on average and generally rides bigger loops) has just bought a runout 2018 Toughroad GX0 and it is fantastic. He has no problems keeping a 27-28km/h average for 45+km road loops on the flat roads we have around here so these bikes are also pretty impressive all rounders but I believe that most stock is now gone.

The main criteria for me was to have space for bigger tyres because our pine forests around Beachmere can be sandy and loose and also hydro brakes as the mini v's on my Speeder bush basher just don't cut it. I also wanted to be able to throw a set of 32's on for road cycling with mates and not be penalised too much by a heavier touring style bike.

My short list was:
- Norco Search XR S - $3k rrp
- Specialized Sequoia Elite - $2.5k rrp
- Merida Silex 400 - $2.1k rrp

All three bikes have a local Caboolture dealer for me and have pretty much identical running gear with Shimano 105 and RS505, two of them are steel/carbon fork and the Silex is Alloy/carbon fork. The Sequoia has a heavy duty wheelset. I ended up ordering the Merida as it was aluminium which suits our coastal environment and the LBS was happy to sell me one for $1.9k which was the cheapest price and I reckon is awesome bang for my buck. Delivery is supposed to be this week and I cannot wait.