Sydney Commuter Recommendations

steddyeddy92

Sydney Commuter Recommendations

Postby steddyeddy92 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking at purchasing my first bike for commuting to and from work. I'll be riding the bourke street cycle path in Sydney from Mascot to Woolloomooloo (approx 8km one way). I've never really ridden before and I'm mainly looking at getting something to improve the fitness. I am 99% set on getting a flat bar/urban setup. The budget is around the $1000 mark just for the bike. After doing some scrolling on the web I've noticed that the Reid X3 is getting some good reviews. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on any other bikes which would potentially be the right fit for me.

Thanks!

am50em

Re: Sydney Commuter Recommendations

Postby am50em » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:14 am

I have the Reid Urban X3. It works very well but the front is very low. Adding a riser stem and handlebars has sorted this. Better saddle and pedals are also recommended. I also have tyre liners fitted, flats on commute are no fun.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:23 am

For that kind of money I bought a Polygon. Been pretty happy with it, it's not amazing but does the job. There are some things I do not like (e.g. flat mount mechanical discs) but it's not too bad.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:33 am

You can Get Merida's Speeder 200 from 99Bikes for $999 at the moment

- Shimano Sora
- Hydro disc brakes
- Carbon fork
- Compact gearing

I bought a Merida as my fist roadie a couple years back and has been bomb proof. Plus 99 Bikes offer great follow up service

http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/bikes/hy ... -9614.html

TheDotProd

Postby TheDotProd » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:10 am

Lekker Amsterdam Elite- 3 Speed on sale for $698.00 down from $898
https://www.lekkerbikes.com.au/product/ ... small-51cm

3 speed belt drive. Not sure what intensity you plan to commute, but if your taking it easy a belt drive will mean you won't get those little black tattoos from the chain ring on your work clothes. If your planning to smash it in a sprint to the finish, you will need some lycra kit to deal with friction and sweat wicking so getting dirty wont matter so much.

They have a range that look very handsome and some come with racks and mudguards at less than $1k:
https://www.lekkerbikes.com.au/product/ ... m-to-190cm
https://www.lekkerbikes.com.au/product/ ... m-to-175cm

They also have an option with a NuVinchi CVT gear hub which means continuously variable. You get a grip shifter that you just rotate and the bike will be easier or harder to push, so there are more options and you aren't limited to 3 or 7 gears, but the full range between the hubs minimum and maximum:
Amsterdam Elite: $1,598
https://www.lekkerbikes.com.au/product/ ... to-205cm-2

Check this one also from polydon the path i8 $1,099:
https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polyg ... oMQAvD_BwE

Belt Drive with 8 gears and quality components, sweet commuter tyres.

The Reid bikes look good too though, just showing you more options :-p

I was in a similar position with a 30km -> 35km each way commute but personally chose the Trek Checkpoint ALR5 as it was essentially road bike that could take big tyres with even bigger mudguards to match, and a rack. My goal was to get as fast and as fit as possible, so every time its a high intensity race against my personal best.
Road bikes are very twitchy though, so even though I had a lot of experience on BMX and Mountain Bikes in my youth, It has taken me a while to adapt to the less stable geometry.

You say you are new to cycling, are you completely new as in learning how to ride? Or are you new to cycling as part of your commute?
Also what is your current level of fitness and what are your goals?

steddyeddy92

Postby steddyeddy92 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:45 pm

Cheers for all that info!

I've ridden pushbikes since a kid and have commuted a few times a couple of years back. Trying to get into it again. Cheap and easy way to get fit.
I definitely don't have cycling fitness at the moment but I'm a soccer player so hopefully the lungs can keep up with it. I'd ultimately like to push myself hard each time I ride as its only 6km each way.

Warin

Postby Warin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:26 pm

Sydney is full of hills .. and if you take the 'quite' streets you will have hills.

So .. take a look at the route you will take to and from work and see how hilly it is. If it has hills you will want low gearing. And that means more that 3 or 8 gears. If your not too fit then a bike with 3 front chain rings is what I'd recommend. But with the soccer playing you should be ok with 2, and a large rear cog for those unexpected steep bits.

Does your work place have showers? if so you will do well to use them. I used to travel in to work and shower there before starting .. fresh set of clothing carried on the bike and your done. If it rained on the way in it did not matter .. a shower at work helps lots.

Good luck .. 6 kms won't be too hard. Err for me by car it was 10 km, 16 km on the back streets on the bicycle though. So if your 6 km is by car .. then by bicycle you can think about 10 km .. say 30 minutes after the first week or two of getting into the swing of things.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:01 pm

Warin wrote:Sydney is full of hills
Not between "Mascot to Woolloomooloo" it isn't. Not quite a pancake, but a pretty easy ride with a couple of minor rises.

The OP would have to go out of the way to find a hill.

Depends what the OP wants to do with the bike outside of commuting. Flat bars are good for the commute, but will be found wanting when you start group rides on the weekend. Since you're inner city area, go to Alexandria and check out Happy Wheels (Stu is the owner), Two Monkeys (Jeff is a great bloke), there is a 99 bikes around there as well.
I've had ordinary service from my local 99 bikes and wouldn't go there again (the staff keep changing).
Haven't dealt with Happy Wheels, but Stu seemed to be a nice guy. Jeff at Two Monkeys is nice to chat to as well, and I've been happy with how he has looked after my bike.

So if weekend riding is on the cards, then a drop bar roadie, or gravel/cx bike might be a better choice.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:46 am

Hopefuly you have a safe place to store your bike at Woolloomooloo because it's a high crime area.

steddyeddy92

Postby steddyeddy92 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:35 am

Thanks for all the feedback. I've got the luxury of a shower at work and being able to store my bike inside at work as well!

I was thinking of doing just some basic riding through centennial park on the weekends but nothing major. I'll keep doing the research.