Clipless road pedal shoe sizes

gtext

Clipless road pedal shoe sizes

Postby gtext » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:27 pm

Looking to at some stage moving from flat to clipless. Looking on line at Wiggle and chainreaction.
I normally take a size 10 and in some shoes a wider fit for dress shoes works better. Looking here http://www.asos.com/au/Men/footwear-siz ... gtid=2&r=2 a 10 equivalent is 44.5 so I thought maybe a size 45.
What are people's experiences? Maybe those who take a 10 is a 45 big enough? I understand it may vary a bit between brands.

open roader

Re: Clipless road pedal shoe sizes

Postby open roader » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:00 pm

You'll get a lot of different advice and these sorts of threads can become a popularity vote of which brand is comfy and which is is wide etc.

From experience my advice is that unless you know exactly which brands/models fit your feet you are best to visit bricks and mortar shops getting a feel for a few brands and several different models then choosing from real world fitment. Once you know what brands tend to be wider / narrower in the toe box, in the heel etc then shop online but until you know whats what you are best to get a proper fit first up.

I wear US size 10 regular everyday shoes. I have clipless riding shoes from different brands that fit me well in EU size 44, 44.5 and even EU size 45. My point here is that shoe manufacturers can and will vary in their sizing - it's only a number, not a guarantee of a proper fit.
You don't want your foot slipping inside a riding shoe, a snug fit is the thing to have in a riding shoe - takes some getting used to if you like to wear roomy shoes off the bike.........
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:11 pm

The best starting point is at a bike shop and if you are spending less than $100 - you are not losing out too much.

On sizing, there can be big differences and as a general rule, I find italian brands relatively narrow which is an issue for my broader feet. I have also tested shoes where my standard length (43) was simply too short so I needed to go up half a size.

Another rule is that if a shoe is too tight... it will always be an issue and only get sorer. If it is a little bit larger - with the velcro or ratchet or dial you can tie in it a little and your feet can swell anyway over distance. But it shouldn't be that large that your heel is slipping.
Cycling is in my BNA

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:55 pm

Yeah, as said, much better off to start instore and go from there when you know.

2 problems,
1) 1 companies size X is measures X and anothers in a size X measures a size Y
2) 1 companyies size X is another comapines size Y

EG my old Nike mtb shoes were a US11 which was a 45... so I got some Sidi's in a 45, fine, then later I got some Northwaves in a 45 and they were HUGE, looked on the box and it said 45, US 12
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:33 am

What they said.

More specifically, Shimano shoes are well known to be on the small size, so most people buy a size larger than other shoes. I take a 47 in normal shoes. I have Shimanos in size 48, and they are good.

I bought some Fiziks off the internet and agonised over the size. Their website has a size guide based on measuring your foot. I bought a 47, same as my normal shoe size, and they are perfect.

Ancientflatulence

Postby Ancientflatulence » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:10 am

I recently bought some Shimano CT 500 shoes in size 43. I normally take an 8 1/2 in jogger type shoes and found that with thick workman type socks they are a perfect fit width and length ........ with thinner exercise socks they are just a little loose if I am pulling up on the pedal but the length is good. I suggest measuring the actual length of both of your feet and using that to relate to the manufacturers sizing ........ and keeping your fingers crossed.