Help me choose my Cyclocross bike

10speedsemiracer

Re: Help me choose my Cyclocross bike

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:26 pm

well based on that, and the discount, I'd grab the Toughroad. I first saw one of these in the flesh while I was setting up a Peugeot for its new owner in early 2017, and would agree with your assessment of it being premium in feel and appearance, especially at that price point.

Don't think you'll be disappointed at all. And I think 42mm rubber would be a nice compromise on that frame.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Agent009

Postby Agent009 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:22 pm

Thanks mate....that's what I'm leaning towards. It's already pushing my budget so I'm hoping they'll add 42mm rubber on it and take off the 50mm (at no cost).

If not, I'll probably go Roam 1. The way they were talking, the Roam seemed more popular. And the Roam 1 was probably the nicest looking bike out of the 3 (although not quite as premium as the ToughRoad).

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:56 am

Currently owning a Toughroad and a Roam, I can tell you that the suspension fork on the Roam is near useless.

When its locked its too stiff and not comfortable.

As for drop bars, you get used to them pretty quickly. They offer multiple hand positions when it comes to fatigue and you can tuck into the drops to ease the wind at times.

Personally, I would definately go the Toughroad. Even if its the flatbar version (SLR), it makes more sense than a Roam

Agent009

Postby Agent009 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:26 am

Defy The Odds wrote:Currently owning a Toughroad and a Roam, I can tell you that the suspension fork on the Roam is near useless.

As for drop bars, you get used to them pretty quickly. They offer multiple hand positions when it comes to fatigue and you can tuck into the drops to ease the wind at times.

Personally, I would definately go the Toughroad. Even if its the flatbar version (SLR), it makes more sense than a Roam
What year Roam do you have and which model? The Roam has a big following online and I've hardly heard a bad thing about it. And obviously with the Roam 0 and 1 it has an air-fork as well which apparently makes a huge difference. I was very impressed with the build quality and it was more pleasing on the eye than the Toughroad. As I said, once you got closer to the Toughroad and picked it up, you realised it was a bit more premium though.

If the bike shop don't switch the 50 tires out for 42 tubeless (at no extra charge) then I'll go this route. I have a feeling they'll want to sting me for that though....

Agent009

Postby Agent009 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:28 am

Agent009 wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote:Currently owning a Toughroad and a Roam, I can tell you that the suspension fork on the Roam is near useless.

What year Roam do you have and which model? The Roam has a big following online and I've hardly heard a bad thing about it. And obviously with the Roam 0 and 1 it has an air-fork as well which apparently makes a huge difference. I was very impressed with the build quality and it was more pleasing on the eye than the Toughroad. As I said, once you got closer to the Toughroad and picked it up, you realised it was a bit more premium though.

If the bike shop switch the 50 tires out for 42 tubeless (at no extra charge) then I'll go the Toughroad. I have a feeling they'll want to sting me for that though....

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:35 am

Agent009 wrote:
Agent009 wrote:

If the bike shop switch the 50 tires out for 42 tubeless (at no extra charge) then I'll go the Toughroad. I have a feeling they'll want to sting me for that though....

I have a 2014 Roam 3.

The frame is the same you just get better componentry as you go up the models.

It's not that the Roam is a bad bike, it's great - I gave mine to my dad to come with me on recreationnal rides.

The thing is though, its just a recreational bike. And someone hit it on the head when they said its virtually a cheap hard tail MTB.

Of the two the Toughroad is a much better option as a commuter. I would reconsider drop bars though and go for the SLR GX2. You will most likely ride on weekends also, and as your skill and confidence improves, you will go further. This is where the Roam is limited. It is heavy and cumbersome.

The Roam was my first bike, and I don't regret it, we still have it in the family, but you will get more longivity out of the Toughroad in my opinion

Agent009

Postby Agent009 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:03 am

I have a 2014 Roam 3.

The frame is the same you just get better componentry as you go up the models.

It's not that the Roam is a bad bike, it's great - I gave mine to my dad to come with me on recreationnal rides.

The thing is though, its just a recreational bike. And someone hit it on the head when they said its virtually a cheap hard tail MTB.

Of the two the Toughroad is a much better option as a commuter. I would reconsider drop bars though and go for the SLR GX2. You will most likely ride on weekends also, and as your skill and confidence improves, you will go further. This is where the Roam is limited. It is heavy and cumbersome.

The Roam was my first bike, and I don't regret it, we still have it in the family, but you will get more longivity out of the Toughroad in my opinion
Thanks mate.

What makes the Toughroad a better commuter though (the SLR flatbar version)? Is it simply because it has the Aluxx SLR grade frame?

With the 50mm tires (on the SLR) vs the 38mm tires on the Roam, I was actually thinking Roam has the edge? Everyone talks about how fast the Roam is on other forums and how it seems so light and manoeuvrable on the road....

I'm not saying you are wrong, just you are the first to say it's heavy and cumbersome from what I've read online.

If I can get 42mm tires on the Toughroad, then obviously that changes things a bit.

Agent009

Postby Agent009 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:05 am

Also, I've just been you-tubing "tubeless tires". In particular, how to replace the sealant every 6 months.

It seems the easiest way is to remove the core of the presta valves and pour sealant into valve. Is this the most common way? Can the core be removed on all presta valves?

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:58 am

I have a Toughroad SLR1 flatbar. A couple of things with mine - 50mm rear tyre started leaking sealant through the knobs after about 300k. Replaced with Panaracer GravelKing SK 43mm which I've found great on all surfaces. The valve cores were removable, I use a 25mm syringe to top up sealant and bought a pack of replaceable value cores to change as needed. The Dfuse seat post/seat was off centre. Replaced under warranty with a different type of post (1 bolt instead of 2) after a bit of fluffing around. Have a feeling that frame may be a bit out of alignment. The 2x10 GX is OK, but having had 3 previous bikes with 3x9 X7 to 3x10 X9, shifting at rear is the worse I've had. I expected better from Giant, but it's OK for the price.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:12 am

The geometry is more upright on the Roam, it is heavier, you will notice this commuting.

The suspension fork is really a gimmick as it doesnt do a good job at soaking up bumps, so you will have it locked out most of the time, in which case why not just get a rigid fork?

50mm tyres may be a bit of overkill but ability to run low psi means much more comfort than a cheap suspension fork.

The better grade Alu isnt just lighter, it absorbs road chatter much, much better.

You dont have to take my word for it, go test ride both.

The Toughroad GX2 would be a more versatile bike and would probably stay with you long term because you can use it on longer weekend rides too.

Regarding the tubeless query, tubeless is excellent if done right. Much less punctures, no pinch flats, ability to run lower psi (more comfortable). I find the best way is to pour the sealant into the tyre with it slightly off the wheel, as the valves eventually clog up

Agent009

Postby Agent009 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:42 am

I just phoned them to see about getting tires changed from 50 to 42....and they sold the bike after I went in yesterday. That was their last one in stock! They checked on the computer and there is no more anywhere in Brisbane :(

Just had a look at the Toughroad 2019 SLR 0 and I absolutely HATE the colour. I know that doesn't mean it's a bad bike...but the colour makes it look cheap and ugly and I'm not buying a bike I hate looking at.

I've decided on flat bars...I think it just suits me more. So I either go with the Roam 1 or back to the drawing board and look for something else around the $1500 mark

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:00 am

Agent009 wrote:I just phoned them to see about getting tires changed from 50 to 42....and they sold the bike after I went in yesterday. That was their last one in stock! They checked on the computer and there is no more anywhere in Brisbane :(

Just had a look at the Toughroad 2019 SLR 0 and I absolutely HATE the colour. I know that doesn't mean it's a bad bike...but the colour makes it look cheap and ugly and I'm not buying a bike I hate looking at.

I've decided on flat bars...I think it just suits me more. So I either go with the Roam 1 or back to the drawing board and look for something else around the $1500 mark
Well that suuuucks. I don't think the Roam is the solution, sorry. Hang on, I'll be back...

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:14 am

Is Ashgrove too far out of your way?

How about a Fastroad sl1

This is much more road-oriented than where we started. Shimano Tiagra 2x10 (nice shifting), hydraulic discs (although Tektro, we can upgrade these later on..., strange tho' because I thought the Fastroad had Shimano m315)

Similar frame geometry to those we were considering before but lighter and quicker. The only thing I know nothing about are the tyres, which are 28mm Giant branded 'all condition' tyres.
This bike would be significantly quicker than the Toughroad and a completely different riding experience to the Roams (as in much nicer and quicker...and lighter). Is also (imo) a nice looking thing in that early 70s burnt orange duco the Germans used on their cars (although Giant call it Neon Red ?).

This one is at Giant Ashgrove, 498 Waterworks Rd, Ashgrove 07 3366 0379
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:16 am

Plus, it's perfectly within your budget. There may be room to throw in some bigger rubber, hard to say without having the bike in front of...but I would imagine 32mm would get in there...I could be wrong.

Or this SLR1 Fastroad in Norman Park :

is discounted to $1499.95 from rrp of $1799. Has same as the SL1 but Shimano hydraulic brakes instead of the Tektro, and is at CYC'd for Bikes, 15 Wynnum Rd, Norman Park 07 3399 2453 (I do not know these people, I am not in any way connected to either of these businesses).

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:27 am

Remember though that these are flat bar road bikes, not really made for trails but will handle a little bit of hard-packed gravel path here and there. however is primarily a road bike, albeit with 28mm rubber.

Agent009

Postby Agent009 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks mate....you really are a legend.

Unfortunately I really want a crossover/hybrid/adventure type bike. Whilst most of my riding will be on the road, there is lots of good trails and tracks near me that I would love to explore on the weekend. And the Fastroad is just not a good suit.

I really think the Toughroad is my best bet....I just hate the look of the 2019 SLR 0 which is kind of a turn off. For those who haven't seen it:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/at/toughroad-slr-0-2019

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:17 am

Agent009 wrote:Thanks mate....you really are a legend.

Unfortunately I really want a crossover/hybrid/adventure type bike. Whilst most of my riding will be on the road, there is lots of good trails and tracks near me that I would love to explore on the weekend. And the Fastroad is just not a good suit.

I really think the Toughroad is my best bet....I just hate the look of the 2019 SLR 0 which is kind of a turn off. For those who haven't seen it:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/at/toughroad-slr-0-2019
Funnily enough, when I go to the Giant Australia site I get :

although this is the 2018 and your linkage is to the 2019, although I also note that you have the Geo setting on Austria (Osterreich).... :)

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:23 am

2018 model SLR0, $1700, Giant Ashgrove (or is this the one that got sold...)

Agent009

Postby Agent009 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:35 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:

although this is the 2018 and your linkage is to the 2019, although I also note that you have the Geo setting on Austria (Osterreich).... :)
I purposely went to Austria haha.

That's the only place you can see the 2019 model at the moment

Agent009

Postby Agent009 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:35 am

Agent009 wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:

I purposely went to Austria haha.

That's the only place you can see the hideous looking 2019 model at the moment :)

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:37 am

long way to go for a bike, but hey, nice place. I particularly like Salzburg in the summer....

Agent009

Postby Agent009 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:40 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:Image

2018 model SLR0, $1700, Giant Ashgrove (or is this the one that got sold...)
Hmmm I don't think that's the same one. Just rang and had to leave a voicemail.

Will see what they say when they call me back. Thanks mate.

Agent009

Postby Agent009 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:41 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:long way to go for a bike, but hey, nice place. I particularly like Salzburg in the summer....
Haha. What are your thoughts on the Gold colour on the 2019 SLR 0?

Do you think it's woeful too or is it just me?

Agent009

Postby Agent009 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:45 am

Hmm the one at Ashgrove is a Medium too. I'm 185cm so probably need large...doh!!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:46 am

Agent009 wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:long way to go for a bike, but hey, nice place. I particularly like Salzburg in the summer....
Haha. What are your thoughts on the Gold colour on the 2019 SLR 0?

Do you think it's woeful too or is it just me?
Probably want to see it in the flesh, photos often don't do a frame justice. First impressions however are not good (looks like baby-poo). Who am I to talk though, I ride a 1980s paint-schemed Malvern Star in black/white/crimson: