Reid Osprey Elite (2015) vs Aldi Crane Road Bike (Beginner rider)

Which bike is better?

Aldi Crane Road Bike (Brand new) 2016
43%
Reid Osprey Elite Road Bike (Second-hand but very good condition) 2016
57%

Total votes: 7
kenride

Reid Osprey Elite (2015) vs Aldi Crane Road Bike (Beginner rider)

Postby kenride » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi guys,

I recently bought two bikes off Gumtree and I'm looking to keep the better one for myself and give the other one to my friend. The two bikes are below. They were bought for a little more than $100 each so looking for advice on which one you all think is better.

1. Reid Osprey Elite (Used but excellent condition, I think 2015 model)
Specs: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/238587
Specs summary: Sora Groupset (Derailleurs, crankset, shifters, cassette, bracket), 27-speed, Tektro brakes, Alex rims, carbon forks, no internal cabling
Pics to come to show condition

2. Aldi Crane Road Bike (Brand new in box, 2016, had to assemble myself)
Specs: https://www.bicycles.net.au/2016/07/rev ... rket-bike/ Apologies couldn't find specs online
Specs summary: Shimano Claris Groupset (derailleurs, cassette), 16-speed, Unknown bracket, Prowheel Ounce crankset, Tektro brakes, generic rims, carbon forks, internal cabling, tapered headtube

Based on groupset I read that Sora is slightly above the Claris. I tried riding both of them out and they feel very similar. The Aldi actually felt smoother on shifts but I'm assuming because it's brand new and the drivetrain is fresh whereas the Reid could use a bit of cleaning on the chain and cassette. The Reid is slightly lighter but the Aldi has internal cabling and is brand new which makes it difficult for me to decide. I've considered taking the Sora components of the Reid and putting them on the Aldi but I don't have the tools or the time. Which would you choose and why?
Last edited by kenride on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertL

Re: Reid Osprey Elite (2015) vs Aldi Crane Road Bike (Beginner rider)

Postby RobertL » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:40 am

I voted for the Aldi. Mostly because I prefer the 2x chainring setup to the 3x, even though Claris is a step below Sora. I have Claris 2x8 on my flat bar commuter and it is fine.

I presumed that they both fit you properly, because that's the most important thing so if one is the wrong size then get rid of it.

That review of the Aldi bike is a good read, too. I particularly like the way that the reviewer deals with some of the snobby comments.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:18 am

I still have my Aldi bike as a back up bike, although I have changed some components because I was given them.
But the the Claris was fine, changed well and ratios weren't bad.

They are heavyish, but ride well. Changing the (heavy) wheels transforms them.

kenride

Postby kenride » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Both bikes fit right for me. In terms of wheels are the Reid ones better than the Aldi? Also is there a difference in longevity between Sora and Claris?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm

The wheels are probably much of a muchness between the two. You could probably take each off and compare the weight and how well they spin to pick the 'best' ones.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:26 pm

I voted for the Reid, mainly for the 9spd and the cranks. I'm also a fan of triples, they are useful because they give you the option of a closely spaced cassette eg 12-23, but still give you the low gears when you need them. However there really is not a lot between the two bikes. Internal cabling is neater but doesn't add much value IMO. The Aldi cranks have steel rings.

I actually have the Aldi bike, it is my main commuter and is coming up to 19,000km. It is a very functional commuter, with the mounts for racks and guards (which I have both) and a little clearance to spare, I run 25mm tyres.

Some of the changes I have made to my bike:

I changed the pedals to SPDs to suit my shoes.

I fitted a pannier rack and mudguards (it was always intended to be a commuter for me)

I didn't like the saddle and changed it for a Brooks B17N.

I fitted a longer stem to make the bike fit me better.

The front wheel was rebuilt to accommodate a dynohub, and I fitted decent lights. The internal cables allowed for a neat fitting of the wires to the rear light, since I ran them through the frame with the rear brake cable.

I changed the brake cable housing to improve the braking performance.

The rear wheel broke its first spoke at about 2,000km (YMMV since it is dependant on too many variables) and I rebuilt it with double butted spokes after the 5th spoke broke at 2,500km. The wheel then served me well until I retired it at 15,000km because the brake track was too concave for my liking.

I wore out the front derailler at 8,000km (it developed a crack)

I upgraded it to 10spd shifters, cassette and chain (still same rear derailleur) mainly because I have other bikes that are 10spd and this would allow me to do a wheel swap if I find a flat tyre before riding to work. The claris shifters went onto my wife/daughter's shared bike.

Apart from that I have worn out and replaced the usual things, tyres, brake pads, chains, cassettes and a chainring.

I still might swap a brake calliper over since I have a spare 105 one, and it may provide more stopping power, although I haven't been in too much of a hurry to do so.

As to the Reid v the Aldi, I don't think that the worn running parts are a big determining factor, since they are just consumables.

Cheers,

Cameron

kenride

Postby kenride » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:52 pm

ironhanglider wrote:I voted for the Reid, mainly for the 9spd and the cranks. I'm also a fan of triples, they are useful because they give you the option of a closely spaced cassette eg 12-23, but still give you the low gears when you need them. However there really is not a lot between the two bikes. Internal cabling is neater but doesn't add much value IMO. The Aldi cranks have steel rings.

I actually have the Aldi bike, it is my main commuter and is coming up to 19,000km. It is a very functional commuter, with the mounts for racks and guards (which I have both) and a little clearance to spare, I run 25mm tyres.

Some of the changes I have made to my bike:

I changed the pedals to SPDs to suit my shoes.

I fitted a pannier rack and mudguards (it was always intended to be a commuter for me)

I didn't like the saddle and changed it for a Brooks B17N.

I fitted a longer stem to make the bike fit me better.

The front wheel was rebuilt to accommodate a dynohub, and I fitted decent lights. The internal cables allowed for a neat fitting of the wires to the rear light, since I ran them through the frame with the rear brake cable.

I changed the brake cable housing to improve the braking performance.

The rear wheel broke its first spoke at about 2,000km (YMMV since it is dependant on too many variables) and I rebuilt it with double butted spokes after the 5th spoke broke at 2,500km. The wheel then served me well until I retired it at 15,000km because the brake track was too concave for my liking.

I wore out the front derailler at 8,000km (it developed a crack)

I upgraded it to 10spd shifters, cassette and chain (still same rear derailleur) mainly because I have other bikes that are 10spd and this would allow me to do a wheel swap if I find a flat tyre before riding to work. The claris shifters went onto my wife/daughter's shared bike.

Apart from that I have worn out and replaced the usual things, tyres, brake pads, chains, cassettes and a chainring.

I still might swap a brake calliper over since I have a spare 105 one, and it may provide more stopping power, although I haven't been in too much of a hurry to do so.

As to the Reid v the Aldi, I don't think that the worn running parts are a big determining factor, since they are just consumables.

Cheers,

Cameron
Thanks for the detailed reply! Really good insights.

You mentioned steel rings on the cranks on the Aldi. Could you please clarify whether this is an advantage or disadvantage?

Also since you mentioned the worn parts are mainly consumables is it fair to say I should be choosing based on the specs alone and not so much how new the bikes are?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:57 pm

kenride wrote:Also is there a difference in longevity between Sora and Claris?
No. The major difference between them is 8/9. sp, in terms of material specs & construction they are mostly identical. Incidentally the same applies to Tiagra; it grows to 10-sp, but remains largely identical in materials & construction.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:12 pm

kenride wrote:
Thanks for the detailed reply! Really good insights.

You mentioned steel rings on the cranks on the Aldi. Could you please clarify whether this is an advantage or disadvantage?

Also since you mentioned the worn parts are mainly consumables is it fair to say I should be choosing based on the specs alone and not so much how new the bikes are?
Hi kenride,

All materials have their good points.

Good points for steel chainrings:

They are cheap.
They are a good place to store magnets.
They help stop an otherwise light bike from blowing away in the wind.
They can indicate a lack of use/maintenance by turning orange.

In short steel chainrings are not an advantage.

As for the rest, even the shiniest and newest parts will eventually turn into worn out junk if you use them enough. However they are also easy to replace. Just note that because shifters, chains and cassettes need to match (eg. 8spd, 9spd) you will have to replace like for like, as to 'upgrade' to 10spd is usually more trouble than it is worth. I think that in use, the extra cogs on the Reid mean that you are more likely to be able to find just the right gear to match your desired pedalling speed.

Just as a BTW start by giving the Reid a good clean, and lube, then make sure that it is working as well as it can. Measure the chain wear and replace the chain if necessary and then compare it to the Aldi. If they are both working as well as they can there would be hard to tell the difference. Sheldon is a good place to start, and there are lots of youtube videos.

Cheers,

Cameron