Replacement saddle ??

MichaelB

Replacement saddle ??

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:10 am

Have been using a Prologo Kappa Evo PAS saddle for a while now and I find it really comfy. The current version is a Kappa Evo PAS T2.0 version or there is the new Space version that looks essentially the same but has some differences in padding (AFAICT), but costs and extra A$35 more.

Saddle specs are :
semi-round shape
273mm long x 147mm wide
240 - 260g
Kappa Evo PAS t2.0 - A$49
Kappa Evo PAS SPACE t2.0 - A$86

Now, the issue is not in comfort, but the rails moving around a squeaking on me. What happens after a while is that the rear mount (where the rails slot into the shell) move just that little bit, and end up with a low frequency squeak/squawk on each pedal stroke.

WD40 makes it worse, but the right chain lube (Finish Line Ceramic is one that I have) helps a bit, but after a while stops doing it's stuff, invariably at the start of a long ride. Hard to get something in there and can't seem to pull it apart.

Apart from that, it's a great saddle, but it's driving me MAD :twisted:

Can anyone offer a reasonably priced solution that may be a choice to try ?

Last edited by MichaelB on Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lone rider

Re: Repalcement saddle ??

Postby lone rider » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:26 pm

I have the same problem with an older model Prologo Scratch which I now use on my MTB. When it was new and on my old roadie it was fine but over time something happened to it. Ive got a Scratch 2 on a road bike which doesnt make any noise and have just put a Kappa space on another bike which is fine so far. I think maybe the plastic base cracks slightly or something.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:23 pm

Who sells Repalcement saddles?

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:00 pm

An old Cannondale CAAD9 I have came stock fitted with a Prologo Kappa Pa something or another saddle. I rode it for a year or two, no problems.
A later bike was equipped with a Fizik Arione saddle.
'twas a smooth transition. Nowadays I ride 4 bikes all fitted with an Arione.
I have however, rarely if ever encountered saddle problems.
The base model Fizik Ariones can be had for a fairly reasonable $100 or thereabouts. They seem to be well made and durable. The oldest has been in operation for 6-7 years and been sat upon for about 30K.
No squeaks.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:29 pm

P!N20 wrote:Who sells Repalcement saddles?
haha

And thanks Tim, but the Arizona is one that has been tried and forgotten, along with any of the SMP saddles

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:10 pm

They kinda look like a Selle Italia SLR which I have sworn by for around 10 years, until just recently when my butt landed on a Bontrager Montrose that arrived on my new bike.

Can't comment on it's longevity, but shape wise I can't tell the difference.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:12 am

I have a few prologo saddles (Nago Evo Pas) but no squeak. An idea could be filling the void. If a lube already gets inside then I assume other liquids / adhesives as well.

So the idea is to identify an adhesive which works to fill gaps. I had one which was an all-purpose construction adhesive (eg. connect plastic to cement and other difficult combinations). It actually achieved this by foaming somewhat so I am wondering if this type of 'filling the voids' is an alternative strategy to lubricating where the rail and nylon (I think) are moving.

The homework is to consider if this suggestion has any merit and also to check to avoid any unintended reaction of the plastic. Certain plastics and glues react badly.

If you really get start, I could see if I can get Prologo to provide input on this.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:36 am

MichaelB wrote:.......WD40 makes it worse, but the right chain lube (Finish Line Ceramic is one that I have) helps a bit, but after a while stops doing it's stuff, invariably at the start of a long ride. Hard to get something in there and can't seem to pull it apart.

Apart from that, it's a great saddle, but it's driving me MAD :twisted:

Can anyone offer a reasonably priced solution that may be a choice to try ?

Is returning under warranty an option?
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

4 1 3 0

Postby 4 1 3 0 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi guys
I have one of these Tioga saddles on a Road/Endurance type bike and i was wondering after many thousands of klms where I could possibly buy one of these in Melbourne. I've been trying to get one for a couple of years. I believe 99 bikes had them at one time but I checked the local store and think its discontinued stock.
Sorry just press on link below, Thanks guys for any feedback.
https://goo.gl/images/CTc45K
Last edited by 4 1 3 0 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

Re: Replacement saddle ??

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:52 am

Nah, can't warranty it, as bought from ebay.

Here is a bit more info of where I'm talking about

Would love to fill it, but will have to try looking at disassembly somehow and see if I can't do something like slip a thin Teflon liner between the rail & housing, but there is no real gap.

:? :? :?