Buy New or Buy Used - MTB

danielmilner

Buy New or Buy Used - MTB

Postby danielmilner » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:40 pm

Bit of a conceptual question for you all.

I'm a recreation mtb rider who through lack of experience (perhaps), or style, is not an aggressive rider. I enjoy cross country and trail, with focus on longer endurance rides over quick thrills (not downhill)

I want to move from hardtail to full suspension for comfort, confidence and control. I'm keen and spending a lot more time on saddle, I aspire to ride trail marathons, local trail events, and only wish to invest on one bike.

What is everyone's thoughts on new versus used? Value, etc on a limited budget.

I plan to spend say $2500

I will provide specifics but don't get hung up on bike versus bike. I am looking at a used giant anthem advanced sx 2017, retailed for $5500 on release, can still find run-outs of same bike at $4000. This bike is on offer at $2500 and let's say expected to be sound/good condition but with a bit of riding (ie has not lived in a shed)

It's carbon etc and a really sharp bike 2 years ago and priced accordingly. Is the inferred risk of wear and tear, offset by the quality of bike do you think. Or do you think that same $2500 is better spent on a lower spec run out from last year, or even current yr models, on a risk versus reward basis? Plus 'perhaps' evolution of a bike, forks, etc in two years it is only genuinely a $4000 if it was a new model...

Too many choices! As per my earlier thread

rangersac

Re: Buy New or Buy Used - MTB

Postby rangersac » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:44 pm

If you can accurately assess wear on a used bike, or have a mate who can help you out, there's no question that it's the best value for money. Drivetrain, pivot bearings, and suspension service evidence at the things you need to be looking for on a used MTB aside from the obvious signs of big hits.
Last edited by rangersac on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:50 pm

It isn’t a really easy choice. I’d be happy to buy a second hand dually in that price range if it was what is was after. BUT, I would want to give it a thorough inspection.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

danielmilner

Postby danielmilner » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:06 pm

bychosis wrote:It isn’t a really easy choice. I’d be happy to buy a second hand dually in that price range if it was what is was after. BUT, I would want to give it a thorough inspection.
Yes I find it tough call. I don't have an experienced eye and as mentioned above I'm guessing you wouldn't be sure on forks until someone cracked them open? (service)

Be fantastic to have a high spec bike at fraction of cost but it doesn't come without it's risks. Similar to buying car with high kms I guess

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:44 pm

Greasing or replacing bearings or putting fluid in forks is not that hard or expensive, and with patience you can find bikes that have hardly been ridden or had a hard life.
I would look for used