Another help me decide between two bikes thread

JPB

Another help me decide between two bikes thread

Postby JPB » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi brains trust,

I am currently riding a 2015 Giant Revolt 3 and while I love riding the bike upgradeitis has set in and I am looking for a nice endurance style bike for around $1800 ( i have wrangled my budget up from $1500 ).
Three bikes have made it to the top of my watch list and I am not sure which way to go. A 2014 Ultegra equipped Spec Roubaix, a 2015 Dura-Ace Domane or a 2017 Alu frame Domane with hydro discs and 105.

Specialized roubaix 2014 ultegra 6800 large 56cm road bike
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... ct_details
$1,800
Specialized roubaix 2014 frameset
Specialized s-work seatpost
Shimano ultegra 6800 11 speed groupset
Twe full carbon wheels clincher
Full carbon handlebar
Fizik R5 arione
Fsa slk carbon crankset

Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace - Size 58 (Effective Top tube 56.7)
$1845
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... nger_share
https://archive.trekbikes.com/au/en/201 ... ct/details
The wheelset has been upgraded to Fulcrum Quattro. (Includes the original Bontrager set) It comes with compact chainrings installed, but also the normal (non-compact) chainring set I ran for a while.
Frame in excellent condition and without a blemish, everything else shows signs of normal wear and tear.

Trek Domane ALR 5 DISC 2017
$1750
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/queensc ... 1189667803
https://archive.trekbikes.com/au/en/201 ... sc/details
Aluminium frame with carbon fork
105 groupset
Shimano RS505 hydraulic disc, flat mount
"This bike is in mint condition, it is only 3 months old and bought for $3,000."

I would love a Roubaix but not sure about the carbon wheels for an average joe mamil riding for fun and also 2014 is starting to sound a long time ago. And can i drop off gutters at speed etc. with carbon wheels? I don't hesitate to take the Revolt off road if somewhere looks interesting and I don't really want to lose that ability.
The 2015 Domane is the best specced bike and has better than stock wheels and the second set of wheels and chain rings, but can I afford to maintain a Dura-Ace bike? Looking online the cassettes look over twice the price of an Ultegra or 105, or am I looking in the wrong places and worrying about nothing?
And the 2017 Domane is the lowest spec but by far the youngest. I don't mind the 105 and coming from a mech disc bike the hydro disc bike is an attraction, but it will have the factory wheels and an Aluminium frame. (is a carbon frame that much better for cruising about on roads and paths and is an Alu frame better for a bike that may get treated as a bike rather than a work of art)

Please help, my birthday is Sunday and I want to pull the trigger.

Jon

rodneycc

Re: Another help me decide between two bikes thread

Postby rodneycc » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:44 pm

The one that fits the best is the correct answer. I'd personally go the Trek Domane 5.9 DA with the two wheelsets but you will need to be 6ft or over 180cm I'd say for it to fit. Not much difference between the Roubaix and the Domane comfort wise on the 2014 vs 2015.

Don't worry about the DA components, they are all interchangeable with other 11speed Ultegra and 105 ones so yeah you would be mad buying another DA cassette for example just buy a 105 or Ultegra 11 speed cassette and whack it on, it will all work.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

JPB

Postby JPB » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks, and should have mentioned I am 6ft 182cm so size wise all 3 are in play.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:08 pm

I'd pick the Spesh, but factor in changing the crank somewhere along the way. Carbon cranks, including but definitely not limited to FSA, have a tendency to separate the aluminium pedal thread blocks from the crank arms.

The carbon Domane is off because its proprietary BB90 bottom bracket system is utterly dreadful, and that's putting it politely enough to publish on a family-friendly forum.

The other Domane is probably the least compromised, but it's aluminium, so doesn't ride as smoothly, the bulbous RS505 levers are not Shimano's most ergonomic offerings and replacing them with much better-shaped R8020 Ultegra or R7020 105 will cost a pretty penny.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

JPB

Postby JPB » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:17 am

thanks Duck
I found the same Roubaix also listed on gumtree and it has Osymetric chain rings and after a quick google I am not sure about them.
I might keep looking, no need to rush into something I may regret, but I will call into a shop and see how the RS505 shifters on the 2017 Domane feel in my hands.
Thanks for the warning about the BB90, are the squeaks the issue or is it worse than that? I just want a bike that I can keep the chain clean and lubed and just ride, not have to keep getting things tweaked.

Jon

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Creaks & squeaks are the most prominent symptom of BB90, but the root problem is the tolerances of the bottom bracket shell, essential for a secure fit, are appalling. This enables the brarings, and by extension the entire crank system, to wobble around in the frame, which causes wear in the frame, which makes the problem worse....

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:09 pm

I.M.H.O.

Having been on the very same situation as yourself in recent weeks.
Spesh size 58 and Trek size 58 are different. Trek is almost Spesh 56.

I will back up Duck’s comment - Trek Domane 5.9 carbon. I.M.H.O. Steer clear. BB90 issues . That’s me.

If you are in Melbourne. Brand new carbon Cannondale Synapse 105’s are going for $1999.00 at a North East Melbourne Megastore.
There’s some size 58’s. I bought one, but being 6’2” was too small. Perfect for a 6 footer though.
I Swapped the Cannondale out for something else.

Be aware of carbon limitations. They are a throw away bike. I personally would not buy a 3 - 4 year old frame unless you have it professionally examined for cracks or defects or B.B. problems.

Just my 0.02 cents.

JPB

Postby JPB » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:29 am

Thank again, the age of the frame and what they have endured is at the back of my mind when looking at potential bikes.
The Revolt was new (and my first road bike) and I soon had minor buyers remorse when I saw how much more I could have got for money secondhand so I not looking new at all this time. Really looking in the 2 year old only ridden to church on Sundays bracket but in no real rush.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:53 am

Ivanerrol wrote:
Be aware of carbon limitations. They are a throw away bike.
Bunkum. all bikes can develop issues from poor use. Aluminium is more prone to fatigue than carbon. Carbon is far more readily repairable.

JPB

Postby JPB » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:50 am

Thanks everyone for your input.
I picked up a 2015 Roubaix last night. cant wait to swap my pedals over, adjust seat and take it for a proper ride.