Help with upgrading Suntour XCT Forks.

kaniSS

Help with upgrading Suntour XCT Forks.

Postby kaniSS » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:44 am

Well, I finally found out why these Suntour XCT forks are garbage on the weekend so I won't go into the details, but I want to get rid of it ASAP!!!!.

I know there are probably dozens of threads like this in the search history, but I wanted to focus specifically on my situation, as I have some other questions.. so If anyone with experience can help that will be great.

Bike is a GT Avalanche 29er. Not the bestest, awesome-est bike, but I love the look of it, and I love the shape, plus it gets the job done really well. It's gone through quite a few upgrades and I've turned it into a pretty decent trail bike now, bar the fork.

So now I want to perform the final upgrade and that's the fork. The old bumtour XCT will be put aside and put back on when I sell the GT in a few years time.

Budget for the new Fork is $500. (Prefer Rockshox & Fox, etc...I can extend a little more for a low level Fox.
-I want a fork that I can remove and shift to a new bike once the GT is sold.

-Not sure if the current Suntour XCT is tapered or straight, how can I find out without taking it off?

Cheers all...

davehirst

Re: Help with upgrading Suntour XCT Forks.

Postby davehirst » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:44 am

Find the bike on Google and look at the specs.
Usually it's best to drop the fork, sometimes even though they say tapered or the frame looks tapered, they put an adaptor bearing in there

Mububban

Re: Help with upgrading Suntour XCT Forks.

Postby Mububban » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:05 pm

kaniSS wrote:Well, I finally found out why these Suntour XCT forks are garbage on the weekend so I won't go into the details, but I want to get rid of it ASAP!!!!.

I know there are probably dozens of threads like this in the search history, but I wanted to focus specifically on my situation, as I have some other questions.. so If anyone with experience can help that will be great.

Bike is a GT Avalanche 29er. Not the bestest, awesome-est bike, but I love the look of it, and I love the shape, plus it gets the job done really well. It's gone through quite a few upgrades and I've turned it into a pretty decent trail bike now, bar the fork.

So now I want to perform the final upgrade and that's the fork. The old bumtour XCT will be put aside and put back on when I sell the GT in a few years time.

Budget for the new Fork is $500. (Prefer Rockshox & Fox, etc...I can extend a little more for a low level Fox.
-I want a fork that I can remove and shift to a new bike once the GT is sold.

-Not sure if the current Suntour XCT is tapered or straight, how can I find out without taking it off?

Cheers all...
Something entry level with air shocks from Suntour or Manitou might give you the best bang for your buck? The current gen Suntour Aion air fork has got some very positive reviews (rrp USD$550), which is lucky as it's what's on my new bike :D

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/sr-suntou ... -2015.html

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/components ... n-rc-fork/
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!