Second hand bikes, what to look out for.

Borgqueen

Second hand bikes, what to look out for.

Postby Borgqueen » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:48 pm

I hope to be buying my son a bike soon, only. We live in the Adelaide Hills and I'd rather a bike she can ride well on dirt/grassy terrain and not just concrete or smooth bike tracks.

Only I am a single mum with very little cash (he's literally saving up with ten cent bottle recycling) so second hand is really my only option.
I'm looking at Bmx bikes on Gumtree because it's seeming like "mountain bikes" for kids as small as he (he's five and 1.03 metres tall) are hard to come by. Also I know nothing about the brands, aside from knowing from my experience with my own Bmx as a kid living in the outback.

When looking at these bikes for suitability and wear and tear, what are the specific things like wear and tear, damage, tyres to look out for?

Thank you :)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Second hand bikes, what to look out for.

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:20 pm

I suggest putting a post in the Marketplace section of this forum in the "Want to buy" section. As it is member to member rather than a general classified, there are better chances of getting a good bike at a fair price - should there be other members who have a second hand one to pass on.

BMX's are not quite as common so you will see more mountain bike style bikes with gears though for this age, generally you would go for a bike without gears.For kids, the main orientation n terms of size is referencing the wheel size (inches). e.g. 14", 16", 18", 20", 22", 24"

Here is some info to orientate yourself on the size - it will probably be a 16"
http://www.ibike.org/education/buying.htm

In the best case, the bike has coaster brakes... like on your BMX when you back-pedal and brake. This can be far easier for kids than the 'hand' brake - small hands find it harder to reach and apply pressure... but generally the bikes will also have a front 'hand' brake which is good.

If you look at bikes, added costs will come if you have to replace things so generally, there should be no rust and the tyres should have enough tread. If the rubber on the tyres is old and splitting, that is a problem. Everything should turn / spin freely - wheels, pedals, chain and handlebars but shouldn't be loose or wobbly.

The front brakes should also work well and another tip, for a five year old, if there are bikes where the chain is hidden inside a plastic guard, that is a bit safer.

Otherwise a helmet is also needed and seriously, Aldi have kids bike helmets from time to time which are Australian standards approved, have a little blinky light and do the job. Kmart, target and Big W are a bit cheap and nasty... I would be careful because safety is more important. The thing is, helmets can cost a lot, but you don't need to spend big to get a good and safe helmet.

Also, I like little blinky lights, white for front and red for the back. Kids like them and for these you can go cheap - and replace as needed.

Hope this helps. Feel free to share any ads you spot to get a comments from members here.

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

Borgqueen

Re: Second hand bikes, what to look out for.

Postby Borgqueen » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:34 pm

I suggest putting a post in the Marketplace section of this forum in the "Want to buy" section.
Good idea, Thank you
BMX's are not quite as common so you will see more mountain bike style bikes with gears though for this age,
Interesting because on gum tree I've found a few small BMX bikes in my price range. But nothing that stands out as a mountain bike. I've been seeing a lot of "huffy" and "mongoose" but from researching, those brands don't seem as trusted in terms of quality and safety. I have no idea on brans of bikes aside from BMX.
Otherwise a helmet is also needed and seriously,
Oh of course, I am currently doing research because my son has asked for a specific type so I am looking around and I have no interest in cheaping out on them for obvious reasons, and cheers for the tip about Aldi

Also thank for the size recommendation for his height. It's been getting confusing because I don't know how to figure it.