Recommend a ute tailgate mat/pad?

hitch

Recommend a ute tailgate mat/pad?

Postby hitch » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:48 am

For a long trip I put the bikes up on the racks on the roof of the Ford Ranger.

Lately my son has been loving going to the local dirt jumps - which is only about 5ks away - and putting two bikes on the roof is a fair bit of work for a short drive. But the bikes don't fit comfortably in the tray of the Ranger, so I'm after one of those mats/pads to go over the tailgate just for those short trips.

Am wondering if someone can recommend one from experience?

I've seen the Dakine ones, Race Face are $$$ but review well, Fox have one... Am just after a recommendation. Cheers.

robbo mcs

Re: Recommend a ute tailgate mat/pad?

Postby robbo mcs » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi,

I have a BT-50. I can fit my bike in the tray easily. Occasionally my wife wants to come for a ride, and as she is not so confident we may drive 5-10km to a local bike path. I put her bike in the rear of the dual cab, crossways and upright in front of the reaer seat. The BT has a latch that lets you life up the bottom part of the seat and latch it vertically against the upright part of the seat. Her bike then fits very easily (with the front wheel off)

That is another option for you to consider.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:02 am

Get something from Clark Rubber that can be dual purpose.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:26 am

5km? Just ride there? Only 15min or so.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Ive seen people just use yoga mats from kmart/target, some of the cheaper ones are actually quite thick so might do the job for you if you dont want to spend the $$$

hitch

Postby hitch » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:08 pm

All useful tips, none of which address the question.

Both MTB have through axles - don't want to be removing wheels every time. Also, both are 29ers - don't fit in tray, cross ways, or lying down - if I removed the wheels they probably would, but see previous comments...

My son is 4 - riding 5k's there (and back) is not going to be very conducive to enjoying the dirt jumps, given he is only probably riding 5ks max at the moment.

My son is 4 - I have a child seat in the back of the car. Taking it out every time to put a bike in there is not appealing (or possible, if I want the 4 year old to come with me). Also putting a bike in the cab is also not a great option to begin with...

Thanks anyway guys. great tips.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:39 pm

hitch wrote:For a long trip I put the bikes up on the racks on the roof of the Ford Ranger.

Lately my son has been loving going to the local dirt jumps - which is only about 5ks away - and putting two bikes on the roof is a fair bit of work for a short drive. But the bikes don't fit comfortably in the tray of the Ranger, so I'm after one of those mats/pads to go over the tailgate just for those short trips.

Am wondering if someone can recommend one from experience?

I've seen the Dakine ones, Race Face are $$$ but review well, Fox have one... Am just after a recommendation. Cheers.
No personal experience sorry, but if you're near an Anaconda and are a club member, they've got tailgate pads for $69 (normally $139). Their Fluid range of gear is usually good quality:

https://www.anacondastores.com/cycling/ ... BP90132348
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:51 pm

I’ve used an old towel a couple of times. Stopped hanging the bikes over the tailgate however as the longer travel forks on my new bike mean that the number plate is obscured. I find it better to drop the tray and strap multiple bikes in upright.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 pm

hitch wrote:
My son is 4 - riding 5k's there (and back) is not going to be very conducive to enjoying the dirt jumps, given he is only probably riding 5ks max at the moment.
Great that your 4yo is getting outside riding dirt jumps and up to 5k's rather than sitting looking at a screen :D :D :D There is hope for humankind :wink:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:09 pm

robbo mcs wrote: Great that your 4yo is getting outside riding dirt jumps and up to 5k's rather than sitting looking at a screen :D :D :D There is hope for humankind :wink:
Kids LOVE the lumps and bumps of my local bike park/pump track. It's always covered in kids from 3 up to adults, but most around 6-14. I can't imagine they're cheap to build, but based on what I've sen at my local one, if every few suburbs had one, it would bring kids from all around. Same with dedicated scooter parks. Kids WANT to be active...
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:40 pm

I've heard of people cracking down tubes with tailgate pads.
No signature