Finding a specific type of bike

Wrongou

Finding a specific type of bike

Postby Wrongou » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi all,
I'm looking for a bike that will be a great all-rounder, more aimed at off road riding, and ended up the surly ogre for various reasons. However I'm reluctant the spend that much on a bike, and I don't like my chances of finding a used one.
If anybody can advise of some similar bikes to keep an eye out for t would be much appreciated.
Cheers

eeksll

Re: Finding a specific type of bike

Postby eeksll » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:00 pm

one of these with skinnier tyres?

https://www.reidcycles.com.au/bikes/fat-bikes.html

Wrongou

Postby Wrongou » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:02 pm

eeksll wrote:one of these with skinnier tyres?

A bit more complicated than that unfortunately.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:16 pm

This may or may not be in your price range....it's located in Tasmania, so pending on where you live, might need to negotiate shipping.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vivente-Wor ... :rk:1:pf:0

I'm an owner of the exact bike in the advert and I love it.... this one is the Vivente Patagonia which is designed to be a full-on tourer with bar-end shifters however he has stated that the bike in the picture is one of 3 he has for sale, one of them is the Deccan which is a drop bar bike as above but the difference being the Deccan has the brifter type shifters and mechanical disc brakes as apposed to the Hydraulic of the Patagonia. Also has front dyno hub.

Whilst these bikes were designed to be full on tourers, they also make fantastic gravel bikes and bike packer bikes by removing the mudguards and racks, you can put on up to 50mm wide tyres on these rims without being hampered by the forks or frame.....I seen one of these set up at the bikeshop I bought mine from with all the bikepacking kit on it...from what I've seen they work well.
This is the Patagonia done up as a bikepacker....this is the same as the ebay advert with all the racks, guards and lights taken off.
https://omafiets.com.au/collections/bikepacking-gear

They sell for $2799 new...these ones are starting at $1,000 or buy now for $1,500.

I think a decent investment if you can get as close to $1,000 as possible...that is how I got my first Vivente..used from ebay and got my money back when sold a year later. they are well regarded in the Industry.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Wrongou

Postby Wrongou » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:39 pm

brumby33 wrote:This may or may not be in your price range....it's located in Tasmania, so pending on where you live, might need to negotiate shipping.

I'm an owner of the exact bike in the advert and I love it.... this one is the Vivente Patagonia which is designed to be a full-on tourer with bar-end shifters however he has stated that the bike in the picture is one of 3 he has for sale, one of them is the Deccan which is a drop bar bike as above but the difference being the Deccan has the brifter type shifters and mechanical disc brakes as apposed to the Hydraulic of the Patagonia. Also has front dyno hub.

Whilst these bikes were designed to be full on tourers, they also make fantastic gravel bikes and bike packer bikes by removing the mudguards and racks, you can put on up to 50mm wide tyres on these rims without being hampered by the forks or frame.....I seen one of these set up at the bikeshop I bought mine from with all the bikepacking kit on it...from what I've seen they work well.
This is the Patagonia done up as a bikepacker....this is the same as the ebay advert with all the racks, guards and lights taken off.

They sell for $2799 new...these ones are starting at $1,000 or buy now for $1,500.

I think a decent investment if you can get as close to $1,000 as possible...that is how I got my first Vivente..used from ebay and got my money back when sold a year later. they are well regarded in the Industry.

Cheers

brumby33
Awesome! Thanks heaps Brumby!
I've done a bit of digging and it looks like they're being sold from a rental company in tassie so should be in good nick.
One of the things I like about the ogre is flat bars, drop bars aren't for me,... any idea how the vivente would take a flat bar?
Thanks again mate

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Wrongou wrote:
brumby33 wrote:This may or may not be in your price range....it's located in Tasmania, so pending on where you live, might need to negotiate shipping.

Cheers

brumby33
Awesome! Thanks heaps Brumby!
I've done a bit of digging and it looks like they're being sold from a rental company in tassie so should be in good nick.
One of the things I like about the ogre is flat bars, drop bars aren't for me,... any idea how the vivente would take a flat bar?
Thanks again mate
One of their models comes with either the flat bar or trekking bar...I do like the trekking bar....from the Anatolia I had before, it'd be just a matter of changing to different shifters and handlebar as they use the same frame for all models except the XS. They both have the Hydraulic braking so it'd just be a matter of changing over the shifter set. Yes they looked to be used as rentals...if it's not Noel himself, then it'd be someone closely associated with him. Vivente bikes are a product stemming from the original Gemini bikes of a few decades ago.

https://viventebikes.com/our-bikes/anatolia

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:22 pm

Wrongou, have a read of this article about Bikepacking v's Bike Touring by Noel McFarlane who developed the Vivente bikes....it's a very interesting read.
https://viventebikes.com/considerations ... ke-packing
Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Wrongou wrote:

So what exactly are you looking for and for what purpose would you use it?
I'm taking a stab at rigid fork mountain bikes, maybe offroad touring.

Anything here: https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/rigid-mountain-bikes ?

Wrongou

Postby Wrongou » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:42 pm

brumby33 wrote:Wrongou, have a read of this article about Bikepacking v's Bike Touring by Noel McFarlane who developed the Vivente bikes....it's a very interesting read.
https://viventebikes.com/considerations ... ke-packing
Cheers

brumby33
I enjoyed that, cheers mate.

Wrongou

Postby Wrongou » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:48 pm

MattyK wrote:
Wrongou wrote:

So what exactly are you looking for and for what purpose would you use it?
I'm taking a stab at rigid fork mountain bikes, maybe offroad touring.

Anything here: https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/rigid-mountain-bikes ?
I'm after reliability and flexibility. Go anywhere, do everything. Made from steel with 29" wheels.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:54 pm

Look for a Salsa Fargo. Probably the most versatile all rounder ever made.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Wrongou

Postby Wrongou » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:56 am

RonK wrote:Look for a Salsa Fargo. Probably the most versatile all rounder ever made.
Would be amazing, but similar cost and scarcity of ogre from what I can tell.
Hoping other there's brands make something similar that might be more likely to find second hand

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:43 am

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:40 am

Wrongou wrote:
RonK wrote:Look for a Salsa Fargo. Probably the most versatile all rounder ever made.
Hoping other there's brands make something similar that might be more likely to find second hand
These bikes are fairly unique in design and hugely popular due to their all round versatility. Even when the odd used example pops up they demand good prices, you may just have to cough up or look for something else.
The only other bike I can think of like these is the Bombtrack Beyond, or Beyond + (flatbars) but you will have the same issues with the price.
Good luck with the search.

I note there is a Beyond on Gumtree. 2017 Bombtrack Beyond Steel Drop-Bar Mountain Bike
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:04 pm

RonK wrote:
Wrongou wrote:
These bikes are fairly unique in design and hugely popular due to their all round versatility. Even when the odd used example pops up they demand good prices, you may just have to cough up or look for something else.
The only other bike I can think of like these is the Bombtrack Beyond, or Beyond + (flatbars) but you will have the same issues with the price.

I note there is a Beyond on Gumtree. 2017 Bombtrack Beyond Steel Drop-Bar Mountain Bike
Thats a pretty good price for a bombtrack...they're about 2.5 grand new....jeez if i had the spare readdies....

VWR Patagonia 2017

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:45 pm

Have a look at a Genesis Longitude

Very similar to a Surly Krampus, or a seconhand Krampus. I have done almost 10000kms on my Krampus now and it's a great bike.

I picked my frame and fork up for $400 and built it up from parts I bought cheap. Probably owes me less than $700 in it's current guise as a singlespeed with the new Surly Sunrise bars.

Wrongou

Postby Wrongou » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:20 pm

RonK wrote:
Wrongou wrote:

Thanks mate. I'm in no rush so will just keep an eye out for those that are similar.

Wrongou

Postby Wrongou » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Have a look at a Genesis Longitude

Very similar to a Surly Krampus, or a seconhand Krampus. I have done almost 10000kms on my Krampus now and it's a great bike.

I picked my frame and fork up for $400 and built it up from parts I bought cheap. Probably owes me less than $700 in it's current guise as a singlespeed with the new Surly Sunrise bars.
Cheers mate. How do you find the krampus for longer rides? What size tires do you have on it? I've only ever ridden a dual suspension with tire over 2.1 so I've no idea what 3.0+ is like.

Wrongou

Postby Wrongou » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:23 pm

Does anybody have information on a kona unit? Looks like it could be an option

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:42 am

I ride my Krampus on 2.25 tyres now and find it really good. Longest ride is around 120kms.

3in tyres are pretty good to ride on. I have an ECR and have ridden that on road for around 180kms. Though now I run a 2.4in on the back because 3in tyres are not cheap.