Starbike - anyone bought from them lately?

rifraf

Starbike - anyone bought from them lately?

Postby rifraf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:42 am

I'm just trying to work out if the pricing I can see on their site, which shows for me a dollar sign, as opposed to a Euro sign, is representative of Au currency, given that they recognise my location being Australia.

I've bought from them some years ago when it was all in Euros but the site appears updated in many ways and if its in Au currency that I'm seeing I may have spotted some things I'll buy.

Thanks for any help
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

10speedsemiracer

Re: Starbike - anyone bought from them lately?

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:12 pm

rifraf wrote:I'm just trying to work out if the pricing I can see on their site, which shows for me a dollar sign, as opposed to a Euro sign, is representative of Au currency, given that they recognise my location being Australia.

I've bought from them some years ago when it was all in Euros but the site appears updated in many ways and if its in Au currency that I'm seeing I may have spotted some things I'll buy.

Thanks for any help
I've been using them as a source of comparison for a while, but the $48.20AUD shipping charge for orders up to $401 sort of make them non-viable, in addition to the 15 business day shipping period. Haven't ordered anything from them post the GST thing either..sorry I can't be more helpful.

Re the displayed pricing, you can actually select AUD down at the bottom right of the page as well electing to incl 10%VAT (which equates to our GST).
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:22 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
I've been using them as a source of comparison for a while, but the $48.20AUD shipping charge for orders up to $401 sort of make them non-viable, in addition to the 15 business day shipping period. Haven't ordered anything from them post the GST thing either..sorry I can't be more helpful.

Re the displayed pricing, you can actually select AUD down at the bottom right of the page as well electing to incl 10%VAT (which equates to our GST).
Thanks for the reply as using a 11' laptop with aged eyesight, I'd missed the tickable box to incl 10%VAT (GST)

Certainly since I built up my bike back in 2012/2013 there are no more humongous savings to be easily found like there was.
I suspect both a change of gouging behaviour from our local stores in order to compete and a tanking of the Au dollar has a lot to do with this.

With regards the average 15 day shipping times now bandied around, this is a huge improvement where back when I first started buying online from ze Germans, 3 months was not unheard of, especially if buying around the winter months where you could see big delays due to the methodology of their shipping.

Some things have improved :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:32 pm

I've found that some of the local online sellers have picked up their game, and with a bit of parallel browsing and comparison, savings are still there. In recent times I've found BikeBug to be very good for tyres, Pushys for components and some consumables and CyclingDeal occasionally to cover the gaps.

Plus, Pushys often do a free shipping promotion (usually monthly or so) which takes the edge off.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go