Clipless pedals on a flat bar road?

TeVoRo

Clipless pedals on a flat bar road?

Postby TeVoRo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:18 pm

Hello everyone,

Real newbie in the world of cycling.
So heres the background story:
I bought a entry level flat bar road bike (Merida Speeder 20D) and took part in the Great Cycle Challenge for the month of October.

After commuting 18km / one way to work once or twice a week for just over month, I'm thinking of upgrading from cycling in sneakers to a pair of bike shoes.

I guess the questions I have are:
- Do I choose shoes first then choose what pedals to go with it? Velcro vs laces?
- Do casual looking MTB shoes work well as an every day footwear? Will I walk with a click clack sound?
- Do I really need clipped in shoes on a commuter bike? (Or is upgraditis setting in already?)
- Could you recommend some good beginner friendly clipless pedals / shoes?

Thanks!

edsa

Re: Clipless pedals on a flat bar road?

Postby edsa » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:45 pm

TeVoRo wrote:
- Do I choose shoes first then choose what pedals to go with it? Velcro vs laces?
- Do casual looking MTB shoes work well as an every day footwear? Will I walk with a click clack sound?
- Do I really need clipped in shoes on a commuter bike? (Or is upgraditis setting in already?)
- Choose what system you wish to go with before you choose shoes, MTB or Road, as it's just for a flat bar and commuting, MTB systems would be more convenient.
- MTB shoes work ok but I would not recommend as everyday footwear, the rubber will eventually wear down and you will walk around like a tap dancer.
- No, you don't really need clipped in shoes, it helps but you could also use half cages or straps with your sneakers.
- If you are set on clipless pedals for commuting, shimano have a "beginner friendly" version of their MTB SPD pedal range, called the click'r https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/technolo ... lickr.html, there are some casual looking click'r shoes, but in reality any MTB shoe that accepts two hole cleats will work.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:24 pm

I would ask why you think you need clipless pedals first.

I'm not trying to say you don't need them, but it might help narrow down which pedal system is more suitable for you as they all have pros and cons.

As for MTB shoes as everyday footwear, I wouldn't recommend it. There are some that are pitched for everyday wearing, however you are better off with flat pedals if you want to walk in them all day imo.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:27 pm

Any SPD combo will make it easier to clip in and out of. Just dial the tension on the pedals right down to get you started.

As for SPd or SPD-SL (or anything else) it depends what your ride in to work is like.
For example, on my commuter, I prefer SPD's as I need to clip in and out frequently when in the city. Also I get changed in the facilities and then walk up to my desk with the SPD shoes, which is a bit easier than if I were to talk up with SDP-SL cleats.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:28 pm

TeVoRo wrote:- Do I choose shoes first then choose what pedals to go with it? Velcro vs laces?
- as above, decide on the system, then buy shoes and pedals. Laces are probably better longer term and you are unlikely to be taking shoes on and off quickly enough to gain the advantage of Velcro.
- I use ‘causal looking’ mtb shoes. They work ok, but definitely click clack. One shoe more than the other possibly due to clear location, or differences in my foot placement. I find the cleats are quite slippery on hard floors unless I walk carefully, and I had to walk back into the house on heels this morning so I didn’t mark our floors. I wouldn’t want to wear them all day.
- I find commuting riding better clipped in, and until recently also ran clipless on my MTB as well. There is some advantage in ‘cycle only’ shoes, particularly when you might ride in the rain and already have other shoes at work. Clipless just locates your foot on the pedal in the correct position every time - convenient at the least.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Ancientflatulence

Postby Ancientflatulence » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:35 pm

What I wrote in am another thread copied and pasted.

I have no experience of other shoes or pedals other than these and I have found them to be brilliant. Easy to get in and out of, double sided so they are always there when you want to clip into them, shoes are very comfortable to walk in and are not massive grippy MTB things. I like the design of the pedal in that the load is spread over the pedal platform as the shoes are not as stiff as a board and if the pedal platform was smaller the down force on the more flexible sole may be too great for comfort.

https://www.pushys.com.au/shimano-ct500 ... -navy.html
https://www.pushys.com.au/shimano-pd-ed ... edals.html

All in all ............. love 'em!!

In addition, the pedal are so easy to get out of that I have yet to have a clip stack but give you a sense of security in that your foot is always in the right place on the pedal.
And I agree that there is a small element of tap dancer which may increase over time but nothing like you would get with road shoes.
I have left reviews on the Pushy's pages.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:44 pm

TeVoRo wrote: I guess the questions I have are:
- Do I choose shoes first then choose what pedals to go with it?
Yeah. For commuter I'd just say Shimano SPD, and two-hole shoes. That only rules out most road shoes that would be a poor commuter choice anyway
Velcro vs laces?
Your call. Velcro is easier, laces may be comfier. If you feel fancy then Boas.
- Do casual looking MTB shoes work well as an every day footwear?
Not really
Will I walk with a click clack sound?
Yes
Did you really need a bike?
You don't "need" but I find life much more pleasant clipped in. More power for bursts of acceleration/hills. no slipping shoes/gashing your shins
Thanks!
Shimano M520 pedals and ME2 or ME3 shoes. Shimano shoes are reliable for sizing and quality. The M520 pedal is the value benchmark.

TeVoRo

Postby TeVoRo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Wow! I really appreciate all the quick and helpful replies!

Must say, asking a noob question on a dedicated biking forum is way different from asking on a social media platform like Facebook. I'd get trolled relentlessly!
edsa wrote:If you are set on clipless pedals for commuting, shimano have a "beginner friendly" version of their MTB SPD pedal range, called the click'r https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/technolo ... lickr.html, there are some casual looking click'r shoes, but in reality any MTB shoe that accepts two hole cleats will work.
tez001 wrote:Any SPD combo will make it easier to clip in and out of. Just dial the tension on the pedals right down to get you started.
Thanks, will check those out.
Calvin27 wrote:I would ask why you think you need clipless pedals first.
Good question. I think its more of me browsing bike sites and getting upgraditis.
Also, I was told my foot positioning isnt right. My heel tends to be facing away from the bike and my toes are pointing inwards. Not all the time, but from time to time, I subconciously have to reposition.

Ancientflatulence wrote: https://www.pushys.com.au/shimano-ct500 ... -navy.html
https://www.pushys.com.au/shimano-pd-ed ... edals.html

All in all ............. love 'em!!
In addition, the pedal are so easy to get out of that I have yet to have a clip stack but give you a sense of security in that your foot is always in the right place on the pedal.
Thanks for the links! I will check them out but being a beginner, I'm thinking of going in-store to have a look-see before buying online.
My bike was bought from 99bikes. I probs go back to them to see if they can pricematch pushys.

Thanks again, everyone.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:39 pm

TeVoRo wrote:
Good question. I think its more of me browsing bike sites and getting upgraditis.
Also, I was told my foot positioning isnt right. My heel tends to be facing away from the bike and my toes are pointing inwards. Not all the time, but from time to time, I subconciously have to reposition.
The comfortable, natural foot position is the correct one. Clip in shoes are NOT there to force your foot into a different angle. Knee pain will be the only result.

SPD cleats and pedals allow a lot of twisting "float". So just bolt the cleat to the show at roughly your preferred angle, and adjust as feels good.

Your fore-aft foot position on the pedal has a small effect on peak power or endurance. In general though I would just say mount your cleat backwards as far as possible.
Thanks for the links! I will check them out but being a beginner, I'm thinking of going in-store to have a look-see before buying online.
My bike was bought from 99bikes. I probs go back to them to see if they can pricematch pushys.

Thanks again, everyone.
No need to be loyal to your shop, especially a chain like 99. The shoes and pedals will be the same from anyone.

e.g.:
https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/shim ... e/SH-ME200
https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/shim ... 20/PD-M520

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:25 pm

I.M.H.O.

You need to go and try on shoes.
Different manufacturers have differ dimensions even in your normal shoe size.
I’m a size 45. Shimano 45’s don’t fit. Other manufacturers size 45 do.

If you are in Melbourne just go out to Cycling Deal they have loads of shoes. I wouldn’t buy on line and then hope that the shoes are suitable.

Make sure you get shoes that fit properly. Hot spots under your feet are undesirable on a longer ride.

I have mild MS and agonised for a few years about going clipless. After I bought the Wilier it wouldn’t have seemed right to ride it with flat pedals.
I timidly bought some Shimano Click R pedals and the M type cleats. These are very easy to release from.
I started out just with the right foot pedal in case :cry: . Only went 100 metres when I came back and put the other side on.

Haven’t used flat pedals since.

For commuting where a lot of stopping is involved and the potential for sudden stops, I use the M type cleats. I’ve graduated to M520’s and XTR pedals. They work fine with the M Cleats.

M cleats can be released in three different directions. Standard cleats only release in one direction.

Note.
I’m not affiliated with Cycling Deal.

I bought XTR MTB pedals and cleats there for $129.00. They were well north of $200 at the LBS.
M520’s and cleats $50.00.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:42 pm

MattyK wrote:
TeVoRo wrote:
The comfortable, natural foot position is the correct one. Clip in shoes are NOT there to force your foot into a different angle. Knee pain will be the only result.
Yep my only tip is to watch for signs of knee pain and don't overcook it. Moving to clipless requires a lot more work and adjustment than most will tell you is necessary.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

TeVoRo

Postby TeVoRo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:05 pm

MattyK wrote: The comfortable, natural foot position is the correct one. Clip in shoes are NOT there to force your foot into a different angle. Knee pain will be the only result.

SPD cleats and pedals allow a lot of twisting "float". So just bolt the cleat to the show at roughly your preferred angle, and adjust as feels good.

Your fore-aft foot position on the pedal has a small effect on peak power or endurance. In general though I would just say mount your cleat backwards as far as possible.

No need to be loyal to your shop, especially a chain like 99. The shoes and pedals will be the same from anyone.

e.g.:
https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/shim ... e/SH-ME200
https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/shim ... 20/PD-M520

Thanks @MattyK.
Hmm k. yeah was told, go for cleats / proper shoes - they will force you to have the correct positioning.
Glad you mentioned that should not be the case.

Yeah, will definitely have a look at some shoes in store before exploring the online option.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:48 pm

Also consider Powergrips(tm) All of the functionality but with your existing shoes.

I've bought a few sets; then lent them to people (before I got to use them) and have never had any returned. Take that as an endorsement.

If you are going to move to clipless, Shimano SPD (or Crank Brothers equivalent) are the only things worth considering for commuting as they allow the use of shoes with recessed cleats.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:40 pm

I've got wonky legs, from the knees down my lower legs turn out quite a lot. I use SPD with the tension screw backed off so I can unclip quite easily and I get lots of sideways float, but have never popped out unexpectedly. Loosen those little bolts up a lot before you try your first ride or be prepared for an embarrassing slow motion fall :D

I bought some Pearl Izumi shoes for less than $100, they look like and are as comfy to walk in as normal sneakers. Although the soles are stiff for pedalling efficiency, they're shaped with a curve to make walking easier. And the cleats are sufficiently recessed that they never clip clop, although my last pair of flatter soled Lake brand shoes made a real clip clop sound.

I think once you try them, you'll find it hard to go back to flat pedals for commuting :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:01 pm

Mububban wrote:...be prepared for an embarrassing slow motion fall :D
Invariably at some busy intersection when you're attention is diverted by "goings on" and you forget all about them and slowly, gently, gracelessly, topple over onto the kerb. :oops: You'll only do it once. Or twice :D
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:19 pm

I ride with Shimano SPDs to work every day, love having cleats, so much better than normal shoes on a bike.

Easy clip out is essential for commuting, so SPDs are the go.

I have very nice leather shoes, Dromati, but they are still cycling shoes so not great for work and they do click as you walk - also crap grip on a wet surface. Just buy some work shoes and leave them at work.

Most people clipstack but I clip out well before red lights and I had a little dot on my speedo to remind me to clip out, worked for me until I got into the habit.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Thoglette wrote:Also consider Powergrips(tm) All of the functionality but with your existing shoes.

I've bought a few sets; then lent them to people (before I got to use them) and have never had any returned. Take that as an endorsement.

If you are going to move to clipless, Shimano SPD (or Crank Brothers equivalent) are the only things worth considering for commuting as they allow the use of shoes with recessed cleats.
Yep, powergrips are great, although I admit I haven't used them since 1993 when I moved to spds. But far better than just regular pedals, and I hated clips and straps.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:36 am

DavidS wrote:Easy clip out is essential for commuting, so SPDs are the go.
I never really understood the 'easy clip out' thing. I've never actually had trouble clipping out of anything even with the tension screws on max. Likewise the only time I have had clipless undo accidentally was crashing or doing crazy manouvers on the mtb (that was an experiment and I'm back to flats).
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

TeVoRo

Postby TeVoRo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:05 am

Thoglette wrote:Also consider Powergrips(tm) All of the functionality but with your existing shoes.
These are interesting. Thanks Thoglette. reading their website, it just attaches to normal pedals, so maybe worth a go before diving straight into SPDs? Might give this a go on my weekend ride with kids mountain bike
Mububban wrote: Loosen those little bolts up a lot before you try your first ride or be prepared for an embarrassing slow motion fall :D
Yes sir, one of my fears in moving to clipless pedals... a slow motion fall with flailing arms all over the place.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:18 am

TeVoRo wrote: it just attaches to normal pedals, so maybe worth a go before diving straight into SPDs? Might give this a go on my weekend ride with kids mountain bike
I'd just skip it imo. Part of the better pedal feel is due to the cycling show being stiffer than runners - which is what a lot of starting riders wear. You're probably better off wearing some flat firm soled shoes.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

TeVoRo

Postby TeVoRo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Thanks MattyK

Just bought the Shimano ME 200 shoes with A530 pedals.
A530's have a flat side and a clipped in side. I figure being a beginner, if I'm not comfortable clipped in, especially in frequent stopping areas or areas with high foot traffic, (with kids and dogs) I'll use the flat side till I'm comfortable with being clipped in.

Thanks again to everyone for helping out.