Brooks Cambium C13

Cycleops70

Brooks Cambium C13

Postby Cycleops70 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi Folks,

I've successfully been using a Cambium C15 Carved in a drop bar 'do everything bike' I use for winter rides (mudguards), gravel, bikepacking Etc. And I've found it very good for distance.

It seems different from other saddles in the way that a normal saddle will start comfortable & get progressively more uncomfortable as time goes on.
The C15 starts slightly uncomfortable but doesn't get any worse.

So I'm considering getting a C13 (145) for my 2013 Giant Defy Compsite 2

But.... I'm not sure about compatibility of seat post & carbon oval rails.

This is the bike
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/defy-composite-2-2013

Does anyone have any experience of the C13 or knowledge of rail/seatpost compatibility?

LateStarter

Re: Brooks Cambium C13

Postby LateStarter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:53 pm

I would also appreciate any feedback on the C13 (likely I would go for the 158). I got a C17 (carved) in 2015 and while I used it for 5-6,000kms and it was my fastest saddle for up to 80-100kms it was painful to agonising with too much sit bone pressure for longer. Earlier this year I saw a few comments that the "all weather" more recent versions were "more compliant". Seeing a reasonable cheap one (C17 Carved AW) on a German on-line store I got it and can agree that it is less hard, more compliant / flexible and more comfortable. I have used this one for about 1,500 kms but still nothing over 105 but it did not give any hint of problems if I went further. I saw the same "more compliant" comments in regard to the C13 so maybe they have fiddled with the rubber thickness or composition of recent versions. The C13 does have 7x9mm carbon rails, many seatpost clamps will work with either the 7x7 or 7x9, Thompson being one although they also have an optional 7x9 clamp (more so for the "setback" post) which is said to allow a greater saddle tilt down if you do such things. I will push up the distance on the C17 all weather in the hope it remains comfortable for the long run
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:22 pm

I have both original and all-weather C17’s. I definitely don’t agree that the all-weather is more compliant than the original. Just the opposite in fact - the all-weather feels harder to me.

Also, from long experience with Brooks saddles, the narrow the saddle the harder.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:16 pm

Well I ordered one. I should get it next week.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:15 am

I will be interested in your opinion, the C13s look to be more level front to back without the higher rear up-kick, seem to be a better shape.

Ron, I guess we will have to put the difference perceptions between our original C17s vs All Weathers down to individual or saddle batch variations as we seem to see (and feel) complete opposites.

I notice that Selle Anatomica are also now pre selling (for shipment in 3-6 months?) a rubber model (R2) of their leather saddle. After 3 of their leather ones over the last 5 years I had pretty much given up on them as they stretched out completely in an fairly short time including their most recent H2 with was advertised for longer distance riders who might have stretched out the other models but which was the worst of the 3 I had.
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:54 am

LateStarter wrote:I notice that Selle Anatomica are also now pre selling (for shipment in 3-6 months?) a rubber model (R2) of their leather saddle. After 3 of their leather ones over the last 5 years I had pretty much given up on them as they stretched out completely in an fairly short time including their most recent H2 with was advertised for longer distance riders who might have stretched out the other models but which was the worst of the 3 I had.
This sounds like the same kind of issue many Cambium users have experienced. I have had two C17's replaced under warranty because they stretched, some users have reported their saddle snapped just behind the nose. Other forum members have also had this problem. If you have an original Cambium and see a line appearing across the nose, it is going to snap there eventually.

I suspect the All-Weather Cambium was introduced to fix the problems with the original version, without actually admitting there is a problem, and the rubber used for the new version is tougher and harder.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:11 pm

I have a C13 saddle, purchased in Jan and have had no issues and used in all weather. Have done back to back to back 250+ rides with just merino boxers and hiking shorts and again no issues. would buy a few more for other bikes if I could afford to, but then other bikes dont get used for long rides
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:49 am

So it arrived a while ago, but I've not been able to test it out until this morning.
It weighed in at 276g which by coincidence was exactly the same as the SDG I took off.

No problems fitting.

I got out for a 30Km ride this morning & it felt great.
I think I got the position just about spot on (I took measurements of the old saddle first).
I made just 1-2mm adjustments when I got home.
I won't be able to get out for another week, for a longer ride, but for now it seems to be a good buy.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:11 pm

I was planning on doing 100Km this morning, but wasn't feeling so good, so I did 73Km
The saddle was great. It felt as comfortable at the end of the ride as it did at the start.
Saddles are a very personal thing, but I would highly recommend the C13 as long as the price doesn't put you off.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:47 pm

I snapped a mounting bolt on my seat post...managed to keep the seat on with cable ties and a strap.. was still comfy for the 100km of gravel and single tracks
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:13 am

Brooks are churning out yet another range of Cambium saddles, this time "all-weather" versions of the C13 with nylon instead of cotton infused rubber top. Interestingly, given the discussion above regarding whether the "all weather" are more or less flexible the Brooks description includes "...Cambium C13 All Weather utilises waterproof nylon on its vulcanised natural rubber top for added durability and increased flex..." or is it just marketing and segmentation gone mad? No 158 Carved version yet so I will just wait.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:22 pm

I have long thought about replacing my WTB saddle for a Brooks but am concerned at the price if I chose the wrong type, I'm not a light bloke at 112kgs plus and concerned that they may stretch too much or that i'll never get comfy on them.

I think I'd prefer to go leather but if i knew that rubber could cope with my weight, I could go either way.

I've stood in stores holding the C17 in my hands for what seamed like hours wondering if we could get along....I'd think I;d go black leather rather than the brown.....but end up putting it back on the stand not game enough to take that gamble. I felt the C13 Cambium saddles too, look ok but didn't feel as solid as the leather....

I think saddles are a bit like tyres...after a week, it's considered worn and non refundable or at a hugely reduced price for a week old saddle for exchange.

Not the first time i've bought something pricey than normal only to regret it a week later.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:07 pm

brumby33 wrote:Not the first time i've bought something pricey than normal only to regret it a week later.
brumby33
@brumby33, I hear you, with saddles I have been there, still there, have enough to stock a shop.

I am not a big bloke so can't offer much advice there. I have two Cambium C17s, one with the cotton top (very hard) and one "all weather" (not as hard) and neither have shown any stretching in 5 and 3 thousand kms but 112kgs might be another story. The "all weather" one might be ok for me if only I could find the sweet spot. Being a bigger bloke I would assume you might tend towards the C19 which is fairly wide, 180mm I think, if you shop online, at the right time and the right store they can be had (the "all weather" model) for around AUD100 (although this is at Bike24 and then has a $30 delivery, so you need to load up on a few other essentials to defray the delivery cost. Being rubber they have no break-in period, good (or bad) from day one. The C13 discussed above are the most expensive models, more than twice the all weather c19s and the carbon rails might be a concern for a big rider.

Selle Anatomica have a range of leather saddles they claim are suitable for heavier riders but I (75kgs) have given up on three of them, #1 completely stretched in 3,500kms , no tension bolt left, #2 half stretched out in about 4,000kms but has become too long, too splayed out to be comfortable and the #3, don't talk to me about #3, a "H2" claimed to be immune to any stretching by the heaviest rider but mine got to half way through the tension bold in only 600 kms, can't recommend them (although I know big distance riders, mostly lighter people, who swear by them)

My Vivente (2013) came with a WTB and I used it for a while, was good up to 150 kms then its narrowness became uncomfortable and I had pretensions of bigger distances.

For big blokes the "weight" of advice seems to point to Brooks B17, people I know claim to have got 100,000++ blissful kms out of theirs but they do have a variable break-in period that I have never been able to face. You have to pick between slot and non-slot models. I don't know if you have a philosophical bent towards shopping at local stores over online but the local ones do still tend to be pricey for Brooks whereas online, right shop, time, colour they can be reasonable. Eg Wiggle currently has B17 in brown (either slot or non) for $99 whereas the Black or honey are $150, at times I have seen them for $70. At $99, not trivial but given the typical overwhelming positive reviews might be worth a punt.

Good Luck, wish me the same as the ministry of finance has placed an embargo on any more saddle purchases for me without a corresponding asset recycling program.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:32 pm

Hehehe....yeah latestarter...thankyou for that indepth post mate, I surely appreciate the time you took to write it.

I too have a Vivente, but the 2017 Patagonia so that's why I want it for. The current WTB is ok, few little chunks somehow have appeared on the front...can't remember why they got there although my bike did fall over at a rail station one day, anyway, the WTB is ok for day rides and stuff but it gets a bit ordinary after a few hours.
I had seats before with cut outs and I couldn't really feel there differences between those and saddles without....

I'm hoping if I do take the plunge and go Brooks...probably will be the B17s or the big buggers with the rear springs :lol: that eventually I will find cycling nirvana as I've yet to find it anywhere.

Again thankyou for your suggestions mate.

Cheers

brumby33

PS. Our Ministers of War & Finance must know each other :lol:
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB