Advice on a new commuter

SnoopDoug

Advice on a new commuter

Postby SnoopDoug » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:09 pm

Hey all,

I know there's a million threads in here on this, but I figured 1 more might not be too much of an issue. I'm thinking about getting myself a new bike for commuting. I've been running a 2007 Giant XTC2 since, well, 2007! It's getting a bit tired - there's not too much left on it that original but the remainder of my gearing that hasn't been replaced is carking it - bent derailleur and assorted shifting issues, bearings on the wheels are going, seat has had it etc etc. I feel bad, but I reckon the bike has done a bloody good job.

My commute (Perth) has jumped from 14km daily to 32-35km in the past year so I was thinking of getting something a bit lighter, but was also considering chucking a rack & panniers on that bad boy. I was eyeing off a Giant Co-Max, but I slept on them and they're pretty much gone in my size now. What I can't work out, is if I can put a rack & panniers on it? (or the newer Advantage?) It's carbon fibre - can you put panniers on carbon fibre bikes, or are they not usually set up for that? Someone at a LBS suggested no. Maybe better off going a Fastroad SL1? That's aluminium isn't it, but I also couldn't work out if there's attachments for a rack (and a bit down the track - a kiddie seat)

I've pretty much been looking at Giant's because my XTC2 was so kick ass. Any thoughts? Do you have this set up and it's the business? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thoglette

Re: Advice on a new commuter

Postby Thoglette » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:52 pm

SnoopDoug wrote: but was also considering chucking a rack & panniers on that bad boy.
That and lock out the suspension on the forks (presuming you can). Mudguards are nice too.

You're unlikely to notice a lighter bike (unless you take nothing to work and have lots of hills)

Nothing radical has changed for the better in fast commuting for a long time (bar HG cassettes; LEDs; open tubulars and clipless pedals :D ) so just about any decent frame with adequate clearance and non-silly geometry can work. :D

Now, If you have N+1-itis then that's a different story. I'm in the 30-40mm tyres + full mudguards + racks crowd and there's dozens of bikes to chose from these days.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:49 am

I was in a similar position to you. Had a 2007 Giant Alias which had the original frame and front brake and oddly the original ISIS bottom bracket. Considering I'd used the alias as my wet weather bike and gone through about 5 external XT BB on my dual sus MTB''s in the same time.
I wanted to replace it with a flat bar gravel bike, not many around <$2k.
Ended up with a Toughroad came with racks, current model has different drive train. Went with Giant because of previously happy with service and product.
Unfortunately D fuse seatpost was off centre - after my dealings with this fault - would no longer buy or recommend Giant.
Look at alternatives without proprietary parts if possible, any experience I've had with non-standard stuff (specialized 28mm front hub QR, brain shock, giant odd stem size and D fuse seatpost) has been a fail and parts not available or extremely expensive.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:09 pm

Thanks. Yeah, that fancy seat post has me a little concerned that only Giant products will attach to it. They're billed as commuters but I can't see attachment points for anything??

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:33 pm

If anyone cares, I ended up with a Trek Checkpoint ALR5. Very enjoyable ride.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:31 pm

SnoopDoug wrote:If anyone cares, I ended up with a Trek Checkpoint ALR5. Very enjoyable ride.
Nice ride - wasn't cheap when I looked at them last year.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:34 am

Zippy7 wrote:
SnoopDoug wrote:If anyone cares, I ended up with a Trek Checkpoint ALR5. Very enjoyable ride.
Nice ride - wasn't cheap when I looked at them last year.
I was drooling over them in my local trek store when getting some tires (do like the botranger tires - except for price). from memory the '18 were at a substantial discount. Can't go wrong with a good Al frame and 105 drivetrain.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:04 pm

Oh we care, we care. I love to read about the different bikes that other people buy. It expands my knowledge.

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:38 am

Yeah, went the 2018 model as it was nicely discounted. A little more than I was initially thinking of spending, but it was getting to the point of ridiculousness in terms of not making a decision.

Been riding flat bar forever, so the gear and brake lever positions felt a little funky for a few rides until I got used to them. It's been great to start the new year at work with a new bike