Big w, Kmart bikes question

Koori Jase

Big w, Kmart bikes question

Postby Koori Jase » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi guys ,
I have a quick question, in every Kmart or big w , they always have cheap mountain bikes for around $100 , do they ever sell cheap road ,racing type bikes there does anyone know ? , or anywhere else sell cheap road bikes ? ,

bychosis

Re: Big w, Kmart bikes question

Postby bychosis » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:23 pm

Why? You’d be better spending your money on a second hand one.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:41 pm

bychosis wrote:Why? You’d be better spending your money on a second hand one.
I'm with Bychosis, but if you were really that desperate Big W very occasionally have a cheap roadie on offer. Don't expect it to live longer than 12 months, or in my case 16 weeks.

At the moment they have a reasonably decent Flat Bar roadie that I'd half consider for rain bike duties, but it's $300.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:59 pm

If you have an Annaconda camping store near you, they sell the Fluid brand of bikes that don't look too bad.
A decent bikeshop should get you into a budget bicycle and at least you'll have someone to take it too for adjustments or repairs when things go wrong....
You can't get that from a department store.
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Koori Jase

Postby Koori Jase » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:58 pm

Thanks for the reply guys , what I really want is a old 80s road bike, but I dont know enough about them to get one that is in good order , so big w ones are rubbish, ok I’ll steer clear of those then , will look for a older road bike

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Bikes for humanity wa big bike sale this coming sunday
https://m.facebook.com/events/755112028154562

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:01 am

Koori Jase wrote:Hi guys ,
I have a quick question, in every Kmart or big w , they always have cheap mountain bikes for around $100 , do they ever sell cheap road ,racing type bikes there does anyone know ? , or anywhere else sell cheap road bikes ? ,
As mentioned, Anaconda regularly do 50% off their Fluid bikes, so you could possibly pick up a $600 bike for $300. I know that's more than your $100 target, but would be a good way to get a good bike at a great price.

Also, Aldi have previously sold road bikes for $300 that have made many riders happy.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:47 am

The good news for buyers is that ordinary second hand road bikes are cheap. Some sellers may try to inflate prices but only when a bike is genuinely collectable are the higher prices appropriate.

So for an ordinary road bike you can even pick one up from ebay or gumtree if you have time and don’t get carried away. You may have to considee new tyres and some maintenance (like new brake pads and retuning the gears) but whatever thw bike and price, it will always be far superior to a kmart bike, big w bike or target bike. Everything is better than that rubbish!
Cycling is in my BNA