Hitch Mount Bike Carrier

thatmdee

Hitch Mount Bike Carrier

Postby thatmdee » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi guys,

I'm looking at hitch mount carriers - probably either a Yakima (Dr Tray) or Thule (unsure yet)

My first problem is, my car doesn't have a tow bar. I have a 2004 impreza. After calling a couple of places and reading a little, it seems only a flat tongue style tow bar is available, and not a hitch due to the lower towing capacity/ class of the vehicle.

I noticed this company supposedly do a 40mm hitch tow bar that includes my car: http://www.carasel.com.au/towbars/subaru/impreza (SEDAN, HATCH & S/WAGON & WRX 3/93-8/07 (40X40 HITCH BAR))

Most of the hitch mount carriers are 50mm. I also noticed Hayman Reece make a 40mm to 50mm hitch adapter (https://www.apbauto.com.au/shop/hayman- ... 40mm-50mm/)

This may or may not be a good forum to ask, but I'm wondering if this setup would work and if anyone has successfully done similar?

I'd prefer to stick with a hitch mount carrier if possible, as there are more wheel mount options for my carbon frame, i could move the rack to my partner's vehicle etc.

From what I gather, a ~25kg carrier, plus 2 x ~13kg bikes = 51kg.. I believe the tow ball capacity for my car is 70kg, so this should work?

Am I missing anything here?

Thanks!

queequeg

Re: Hitch Mount Bike Carrier

Postby queequeg » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:19 pm

I run a Thule Euroway 947 On my Mazda6 with a standard tongue towball attachment.
The tow ball capacity on mine is 75kg. The carrier weighs 19kg, it takes 3 bikes of 15kg each, so fully loaded to spec you would need a tow ball with 64kg, and you would be fine.

Only thing to watch with a platform on a sedan is that going into certain driveways can be tricky because the rack sticks out so much that it can scrape the ground. Other that, it’s great.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi