Who is going to the Alpine Classic?

Toyopet

Re: Who is going to the Alpine Classic?

Postby Toyopet » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:16 pm

hitchhiker wrote:That was mostly enjoyable, great weather so I can't complain.

I was hoping to go under a total time of 9 hours but was a bit over, not helped by the alleged deliberate laying of drawing pins on the road out of Bright, of which I picked up a couple..
There were at least four riders fixing flats in the space of less than 1km on the outskirts of Bright yesterday morning. Unbelievable :(

On the plus side, the organisation by Audax, the dedication and support from the volunteers, the Bonjour Bright festival, and the food....all GREAT!

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:39 pm

Toyopet wrote: There were at least four riders fixing flats in the space of less than 1km on the outskirts of Bright yesterday morning. Unbelievable :(
If you were there around 7am, one of those was probably me. I spoke to another guy who punctured and he also had a drawing pin

I picked up two but didn't realise it, pulled one out, put in a new tube and inflated. Then as I was replacing the wheel noticed the other, luckily it hadn't punctured the tube.

It didn't ruin what was a great day

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:52 pm

So anyway, after a bloody awful night's sleep (due mainly to nerves) my alarm woke me from a deep sleep at 3:20 am. I bounded out of bed, had half a bowl of porridge and by pure chance arrived at the start line at exactly the same time as my work mate (who was staying in the camping ground).

So off we went at 4:00 am for my first ever ACE 250. What a surreal experience to see huge bunches of cyclists riding off into the dark with (mandatory) reflective vests, lights blazing into the night sky.

Saw quite a few riders puncture within the first few kms. I wonder how many were tacked? Unbelievable. At one point the bunch scattered as shouts of alarm echoed down the line and then I saw an orange water bottle roll across the road...accompanied by the sounds of a light crash behind us. Oh man..what a way to start.

After that people's nerves began to settle and the pace dropped as we reached Harrietville. Some riders dropped into the Harrietville sports oval to top up their water. I stopped to eat and then we began the climb up Hotham in darkness. What a surreal experience. We had a full moon setting as the sun rose. Riding up the Meg in the dark was quite strange. Tiredness was starting to take its effect at this point and your brain starts thinking 'how an Earth am I going to get this done when I'm so sleepy?' Once the sun actually rises though your spirits lift and riding up CRB Hill in the fog and cresting Hotham at dawn on a bike...and then blasting through the empty Village is something I'll never forget. These photos don't do it justice (BTW I found Diamanta Hill much tougher than CRB Hill).
ImageImage
Quick stop into Dinner Plain and time to don a vest and toe warmers for the long descent to Omeo. It was a privilege to ride on such a beautiful road in such great weather with almost no one else around. The grass on the shoulder was full of spiders webs covered in dew..amazingly beautiful. The bunch really spread out on the descent. Weather was noticeablely colder south of the divide. Another food and water stop at Omeo and the cloud had burnt off and it was starting to warm up. I decided to take my Skratch Labs 'Hyper Hydration mix' at this point. For more information on this product read this.

More cycling nirvana followed all the way to Anglers Rest. It really is a beautiful part of the world. Then onto Say What corner. Honestly I didn't think it was that hard, but then again I'm used to Mt Pleasant Rd/Hewitt's Rd/Old Eltham Rd. I rode about 1.5 km then decided to have a breather. Then I continued on to the first water stop about 2 km. Filled up with water, got some poured over my head and pulled out an old peach turnover from my back pocket. After one mouthful I then spat out the rest and dry retched and almost vomited.

Now this is when things got interesting.

For the rest of the ride my gut went nuts and I was trying to keep things down. I decided from this point on I'd rely on my drink for carbs (which is what should happen in hot weather situations anyway) and just use my lollies as I doubt I'd be able to stomach anything else. My HR was about 20 bpm lower than when climbing Hotham. I was grinding it out at 60 rpm struggling to keep 10 km/hr even when the gradient was less than 10%...which wasn't often. Everything you've heard about back of Falls is true, i.e this).

At the Raspberry Hill water stop I chatted to the St Johns ambulance crew regarding the pros/cons about throwing up. I had the opportunity to take photos of the locals too.
Once I crested Raspberry Hill I rode hard to Falls Creek. Still had plenty in the legs but my gut wouldn't tolerate a high HR.

At Falls I bought some tonic water, sipped it slowly and then ate an orange slice and a bit of watermelon. When they stayed down I had more watermelon and a weak tea. I've ridden back from Falls in much worse shape (i.e. in 2014 when I ran out of water 5 km from the top and completely bonked), so I knew I could make it back. Had strong legs for the descent and the false flats around Bogong but still had time to admire the view.
Still reasonably strong heading back over Tawonga gap, was only 5 minutes off my 2015 time (when I did it as part of the 200 km course). Then a quick descent and smashing it back to Bright.

I had aimed for 11 hours rolling time and 12 hours finishing time. In the end it was 10:56 moving time and 13:38 overall. Disappointed to have taken a bit longer but also pleased to have finished it at all. I remember after pulling the pin on the 200 back in 2014 and watching riders smashing it home from the 250 thinking 'how on Earth can they ride a bike for 12 hours'? Well thanks to thousands of dollars spent on physio and thousands of hours spent doing rehab and rebuilding my posture I can now sit on the bike for long periods and not aggravate my neck and shoulders or suffer from lower back pain. My legs still had plenty left in them.

Back home...two chews of a piece of white bread were enough to have me hurling into the toilet. After that I felt much better and had a great steak at the Bright Pub.

Whether my gut problems were caused by
a) Bad reaction to the Skratch Hyper Hydration
b) Bad reaction to having 8 litres of normal Skratch drink
c) Peach turnover gone bad
remains to be seen. You do realise that your food/drink demands on very long rides are very different to short'n'sharp 100 km training ride. I had similar issues in the 200 last year and I thought the problem was having multiple Clif Bars, as subsequent rides have shown that these can create issues. But I guess there are still other factors at play.

At this point I have no desire to do another long distance endurance event. I want to do more MTB and single-track at this point. But we'll see what happens.

Amazing day, amazing event and great memories. I think I have cyclotaur to thank for her expert spray down the back of my neck on the back of Tawonga at about 4:40 pm.
Last edited by __PG__ on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:48 am

Nice report PG.

Long, hot and hilly rides are hard. The main thing I have found is not to make any drastic changes to diet when tackling such a ride, so I keep it simple. Water, Fruit, maybe some banana bread and some muesli bars as a backup. I'll use something like Powerade if it is available, or coffee/chocolate milk.

I'm looking at options for later this year/early next year. I'd like to give the Alpine Classic a crack, leading into the Haute Route in August/Sep 2017.

I'm thinking of doing the Fitz Challenge again in October and either try to better my 6th rider home in
the 210, or have a crack at the Extreme. It would help if I lost 5kg first though!

If I do either of those, the ACE320 is my goal.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Paul 62

Postby Paul 62 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:31 am

Hi
I lost a front wheel in Bright, left in the Woolworths car park in a Fulcrum wheel bag. Please pm if you found it.
Other than that, had an eventful 250. Bidon cage fell off riding to the start, then three flats between Anglers rest and Tawonga. Still a great day out on the bike.
Thanks to Audax and the volunteers.
Paul

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:03 pm

Call the bike shop in Bright - someone might have handed it in there. They're right opposite Woolies.

http://www.cyclepath.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Paul 62

Postby Paul 62 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:05 pm

Great tip, they've got it!
Thanks

GaryJ

Postby GaryJ » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:02 pm

Paul 62 wrote:Great tip, they've got it!
Thanks
Paul are you still in town? If not I'm still up here leaving early tomorrow morning. If the shop is still open this afternoon and you're in Melbourne I can potentially take with me. Won't be back in Melbourne (Pakenham) until this weekend but happy to take with me if it's more convenient for you.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Great news - aren't forums cool !

Paul 62

Postby Paul 62 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:32 pm

Thanks for the offer. I was in falls creek, so i drove down and collected. A lot easier in the car i must say.
Thanks again to the shop and the chap who handed it in.
Paul

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:53 pm

ausrandoman wrote:I have entered for the 320 km Ultimate and secured accommodation. All I have to do now is get fit enough :shock:
Aaaand ... did it. Came in close to the time limit but made it :)

I reckon last year's route, with Buffalo at the end rather than at the beginning, was psychologically easier. Last year, the 320 km riders started with the 240 km riders so we had the benefit of the peleton to Harrietville and company all the way back to Bright. This year, I rode most of the 240 km loop on my own. It was good to have a chat with cavebear and a couple of other Audax members out the back of the loop and more comrades would have been even nicer.

Once again, The Audax club did a fantastic job with the logistics and catering and the party in Howitt Park. I'll be back next year, but I'll only do the 240 km - leaves more beer time after the ride :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:05 pm

nice work ausrandoman, that's worth celebrating 8)

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:14 pm

Congrats to everyone who made it, or gave it a valiant attempt!

I was a DNF in the end, packed it in after descending Mt Buffalo. :( After taking a month away from the bike in the silly season (mid Dec - mid Jan) I've been getting serious back pain after 40km or so on harder, hillier rides. Looks like I'll need to build myself back up to brevet distances again.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:07 pm

A really late reply but I did the 4am start version of the 200k, it was my longest ride ever and the one with the most elevation gain, my garmin gave me 4100m total time just under the 13 hours

Climbing Buffalo in the dark with the setting full moon on one side and watching the sunrise over hotham in the east was magic and made the early start worth it.

I'd highly recommend the event, I'd like to think that I'll be back to do the 250 version. Excellent support and those fruit muffins at the Falls stop were amazing, one of the lovely ladies offered to wrap one up for me to take and it was consumed during the Tawonga climb....people were dropping like flies on the gap!
Lisa

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:35 pm

From my post earlier in the year, I am confirmed for the ACE320. I'll be spending 8 days down in Bright seeing the sights and getting in a few climbs before the actual day (since I have never been there before).

I did the Fitz Epic as the qualifier, so it's all good. I am aiming to do a double century ride every weekend from now until the end of the year, and will then taper off in January before the big day. I have not set a finish time yet, but my aim is to be back well before the cut off time (I am in the 4am start group) so I can have dinner with the family. We're staying Saturday night and heading back to Sydney on the Sunday late morning so that we avoid most of the traffic rush. Kids will miss Day 1 of school while we sleep in :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

kb

Postby kb » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:20 am

I was actually planning to give this a go but the timing didn't work out. We're expecting a daughter on 19/1 and apparently you can't reschedule these things. Oh well. I'll start campaigning for a family trip up 2018 :-)

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Having done both the Falls ride (2012 - 121kms) and the Buffalo (2014, 2015 - 130kms) and volunteered last year (spent the whole day at the last water stop on Tawonga Gap), I'm heading up again to ride in 2017. We have accommodation for 5 nights from Wednesday so plan a bit of a 'holiday' in Bright.

Unsure as to which ride to do....toss up between the Falls ride again or the Classic 200. :? Could, probably should, give the 200 a go as if not now, maybe never ! I have a good base to work off and hope to prepare well with some bigger/longer rides over the next 6-8 weeks, but will need to overcome some lower back issues plaguing me at the moment.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:57 pm

After DNS'ing the AAC last January after somehow managing too strain a groin muscle the night before the event, I have signed up for the ACE250 in January 2017.

Training is starting to come together, and was able to slice more than a minute off my time up Kinglake over just last week, with my heart rate 4 beats lower as well.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:38 pm

madmacca wrote:After DNS'ing the AAC last January after somehow managing to strain a groin muscle the night before the event, I have signed up for the ACE250 in January 2017.

Training ....blah blah ...
Nothing suss.... ? :wink:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:53 pm

Straight into my ACE320 Training today

https://www.strava.com/activities/786582715

Aiming to do a long ride every weekend between now and early January

Leethal

Postby Leethal » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:36 am

Just signed up for my third ACE250, starting in the 6:20am wave again, as that's early enough! :D
Road: S-Works Tarmac SL5 eTap
CX: Trek Boone 9, Ultegra mechanical
MTB: Yeti ASRc, XTR Di2

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:01 pm

Early bird entries close on Wednesday - save $45 on the 250km.

I'm doing the 250 this year. I've done the 3 peaks and the 200km version but neither were particularly great days on the bike (sickness and poor form respectively). Hoping to hit this year's 250 flying and make a day of it.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:59 am

march83 wrote:Early bird entries close on Wednesday - save $45 on the 250km.
Yeah, looking from this thread, it seems the looming deadline has brought on a few people pulling the entry trigger.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:45 pm

I'm in for 250 again, has been a few years now but it's a great ride.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:05 pm

Just entered the 200km ride - need to recover from recent highly inconvenient injury and get going again soon, otherwise it's the 130 to Falls for me.