Paris Brest Paris 2015 - Some stats for you

HappyHumber

Paris Brest Paris 2015 - Some stats for you

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:29 am

I was about to post this under the WA specific sticky, but firstly realised it may be of wider BNA interest, and then realised we dont have any Audax / Randonneuring specific subforum.

Anyway, here are some unofficially compiled and presented stats from the Audax Club Parisien official data. Much easier to navigate than the actual PBP site, for those that like giving themselves goosebumps looking at numbers.

But whilst I am on the topic would there be any BNA membership support for an Audax/Randonneuring sub? I can't see it being any less active than a few other existing ones. We all have our niches.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

cameronp

Re: Paris Brest Paris 2015 - Some stats for you

Postby cameronp » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:40 pm

The faster riders on the PBP achieved some truly impressive times. But in some ways the people who just scraped in under 90 hours are even more impressive - they are (presumably) pushing themselves as much as the fast riders, but for a much longer time and on rather less sleep. I'd rather read riders' stories than look at the numbers, though.

I'm all for a BNA Audax subforum. It sounds like there's a fair few Audaxers on here already; I'd include myself in that group, though my ambitions outstrip my achievements.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:00 pm

Yeah, my impression was there's a few active little pockets here and there around the country, and I see talk of Eastern States events popping up here in on BNA sporadically from time to time. I know people do travel interstate for various events; though perhaps less so for us far flung Sandgropers generally.

I realise Audax can be a little niche at times. My experience is the active membership, at least here in WA, changes a little from year to year as each person sets their goals for the year. Some drop out due to injury or whatever. Some will return after a few years absence. It can be a lot more time consuming than other cycle sports so it tends to lend itself to more only a certain demographic as well. Definitely not for those with young families, I admit.

Proposal : Creation of a new subforum called "Audax / Randonneuring" : Marathon Cycling. Going the Distance.

I'll just bump this to the mods, see what they say, if anyone else wishes to second it or offer suggestions. Maybe one or two existing Aussie ride threads can be moved here. Whatever. Like I said; I doub't it'll be any less active than some other sub-forums on here.
--

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:13 pm

I certainly would find an Audax sub-forum useful. There's definitely more than a few BNA members who participate in Audax, if not regularly.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:16 pm

tah biker jk.

I've msged the divine powers and bought my bit with colours above to their attention.
--

redned

Postby redned » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:32 pm

And bad luck to Aussie Wayne Hickman who completed the course but was 2 hours over time. So near yet so far.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:45 pm

Wayne's partner, Alison experienced a crash shortly before the last control. Her check in time there only left 30 minutes to complete it to the finish. It wasn't looking good. I suspect Waynes over-time was related to that. Heart breaking stuff so close after all those hours.
--

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:42 pm

+1 on an Audax type forum

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Ross wrote:+1 on an Audax type forum
+2
Andrew

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:14 pm

biker jk wrote:I certainly would find an Audax sub-forum useful. There's definitely more than a few BNA members who participate in Audax, if not regularly.
I agree. About half the field on Sunday's Audax ride here in Sydney were BNA members. And we also need to know if we can stay at Kim's place when we head over for the PAP.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:19 pm

That's five, good enough for me. I'll back it.

Suggestions on the best sub forum for an Audax room? General? Serious? Road? Touring? Open to any and all ideas including stickies...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:06 am

Mulger bill wrote:That's five, good enough for me. I'll back it.

Suggestions on the best sub forum for an Audax room? General? Serious? Road? Touring? Open to any and all ideas including stickies...

Shaun
Probably serious would be best. There are off-road, on-road, mixed surface, one-day and multi-day events, so Road and Touring don't incorporate everything. Serious is probably a better option. Maybe name it Randonneuring instead of Audax, since Audax specifically refers to a club in Australia rather than just a style of riding.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:08 am

Good info, thanks. Keep it coming
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:11 am

Great idea, and with so much support lets do this.

One key question - is it sorted into Road Racing? (Road Racing is more-so road cycling which is more appropriate, however I would prefer to retain the section name).

Alternatively in Serious Biking - very well suited though could get lost if it is viewed as a road cycling / road racing related sub-forum.

I will go with the popular vote on this.
Cycling is in my BNA

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:32 am

Audax is not racing, except against a time limit.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:32 am

It's serious stuff :-)

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:28 am

Technically its not racing. Its about personal acheivement, betterment of times etc. Some people quoting times given a particular recurring route or ride may lead to the impression its racing, but its not whats pushed in the rules and charters.

Kinda hence my suggestion for 'Marathon Cycling: Going the Distance' as the little by-line that appears next to some subforums when you browse the main forum index.

I myself use the words 'marathon' & 'endurance ' when I explain the sport to people. Indeed, the WA Regional Club Trailer presently living at my house predates current Audax Australia colours and livery by around 20 years and has 'marathon cycling' as its secondary text under the main, bold word AUDAX

In terms of classification, I would prefer myself it to be under Serious vs Racing for these reasons. Its more formal than some of the existing other subforums in Serious, but it's definitely not Racing.
--

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:53 am

In terms of calling it Audax &/or Randonneuring, I didnt want to get into the semantical differences which are relatively subtle.

'Randoneuring' seems to have more international foothold as the term these days, probably in no small part due to the Seppos and it also having more obvious French cachet. But I kind of like acknowleging the more UK & Aussie historical preference for the word 'Audax'. If we can use both, allowing for a '/' between them that'd be my choice.
--

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:01 am

I don't know about the present descriptor but Audax riding used to be called "Timed Touring".
As such I think a new Audax topic would be more appropriately located under the Cycle Touring section of the forum.

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:06 am

+1 For a new forum

I prefer "Randonneuring" under Serious. It's definitely not racing. And it's not touring (where you decide where to go and when, then carry a lot of camping gear I have never seen on an Audax ride).

There has been a move to other surfaces other than road, including mixed terrain and dirt. So, not under "Road Racing" either.
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:18 am

Tim wrote:I don't know about the present descriptor but Audax riding used to be called "Timed Touring".
As such I think a new Audax topic would be more appropriately located under the Cycle Touring section of the forum.
Touring to me implies no time limit on a course that isnt formally defined in terms of route or distance before you start. There are no controls or checkpoints, etc other than what rider sets for themselves as they go.

Sometimes people get randonneuring and touring confused, and there can be a bit of overlap in the types and styles of bikes used but these points are really what distinguishes touring and Audax, IMO. Certainly, I dont think Audax is any more touring than it is racing. Theres elements of both there, but the formal definitions distinguish them.
--

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:27 am

Thanks for the feedback - I have put this into "Serious Cycling".

I get the feedback on Road Racing and a distinction is worthwhile (more so for newbies). While Cycle Touring is a possibility, the description from HappyHumber rightly stresses 'distance'. Location is intrinsic to cycling though Cycle Touring tend to be more focussed on the location experience.

Thank you to everyone who has provided input - this topic will be moved into the new Audax section and I look forward to seeing this grow.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

roller

Postby roller » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:41 am

HappyHumber wrote:Anyway, [url=http://axel-koenig.com/results/pbp2015/en].
thanks for posting this, I have ridden with one of the guys that's just done this, he was/is/will be an absolute beast, when training for 3 peaks I managed to stick with him up greenmount hill, to Mundaring weir, then nearly to the Kalamunda roundabout, in his draft the whole way, the rubber band finally snapped on hummerston.

was interested to see his time.

mammoth achievement, simply amazing.
inflammatory statement or idea

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:20 am

I lifted the link from /r/randonneuring on reddit. It's a steady stream of articles and blog postings on the topic. Often some nice photography submitted of rides in Europe & the US.

Anyone else should feel free to share links here & there too. The sub-reddit could do with some more Aussie representation.
--