Welcome to Audax

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to Audax

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:46 am

Due to popular interest, this new Audax / Randonneuring sub forum has been created.

Thanks to HappyHumber, cameronp, biker jk, Ross, gabrielle260, bigfriendlyvegan, Mulger bill, grantw, Tim and chucknitro.

What is Audax and Randonneuring?
For people new to Audax and Randonneuring, here is some basic info and references. There are minor differences and many similarities with Audax and Randonneuring, in Australia however, the cycling events are known as Audax rides and are run under the Audax Australia Cycling Club.

In brief, Audax events are long distance cycling events which follow a predetermined course and have a time limit for completion, however it is not a race and the objective is participation and completing. In Australia there are numerous Audax rides as well as major Audax events and qualifying and participating in the iconic Paris-Brest-Paris is often viewed as the pinnacle achievement.

(PM me if you wish to correct and expand on this)
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

RonK

Re: Welcome to Audax

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:25 pm

To broaden the subject, the big growth in randonneuring has been in the mixed road/off-road segment.

Audax Australia does have a sparse dirt rides section, but it's hardly comprehensive. And it seems many prefer the more relaxed format of backroads brevets to the rigourous and bureaucratic rules administered by the Randonneurs Mondiaux and the Audax Club Parisien. :wink:

As far as I know the top backroads brevets in our region are all in NZ. For example the Great Southern Brevet, Kiwi Brevet and the 3000km Tour Aotearoa are attracting riders from Australia and the world.

The crowning event is the Tour Divide in the US - a 4418km ride along the Rocky Mountains.

If you have an hour or so to spare you could try reading some of the Audax Australia rules. Or you could spend less than 5 minutes and read the GSB rules. :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:41 pm

RonK wrote:To broaden the subject, the big growth in randonneuring has been in the mixed road/off-road segment.

Audax Australia does have a sparse dirt rides section, but it's hardly comprehensive. And it seems many prefer the more relaxed format of backroads brevets to the rigourous and bureaucratic rules administered by the Randonneurs Mondiaux and the Audax Club Parisien. :wink:

As far as I know the top backroads brevets in our region are all in NZ. For example the Great Southern Brevet, Kiwi Brevet and the 3000km Tour Aotearoa are attracting riders from Australia and the world.

The crowning event is the Tour Divide in the US - a 4418km ride along the Rocky Mountains.

If you have an hour or so to spare you could try reading some of the Audax Australia rules. Or you could spend less than 5 minutes and read the GSB rules. :lol:
I don't see much difference in the Audax and GSB ride rules.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:05 pm

As mentioned in the last Checkpoint mag: Hopefully at the next National Committee meeting they'll finalise the proposed Gravel Grinders grade of rides, sort of a hybrid of the Dirt Series and Brevet Australia grades. The mixed terrain rides so far have been run under road conditions regardless of the amount of gravel, often too hard for riders to finish in time - this will change. Courses will be 200, 300, 400 and 600km. I don't yet see a 'Tour Divide' or a 'Transcontinental' (Europe) style of course coming from this however.

robHflyte

Postby robHflyte » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:49 pm

What sort of times would you see as acceptable just4tehhalibut? Just letting you know, I am on the national committee. I love my unsealed road, or gravel grinder rides and run a few in NSW.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:41 pm

Sub forum for Us, yes!

Propagate

Postby Propagate » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:28 am

Hi all, I have just joined Audax as a motivator to get my distances up! The welcome e-mail mentioned the Audax site forum, but I can't find anything on there. Has the Audax website forum been taken down and replaced by this sub forum on here?

Thanks.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:44 am

http://www.audax.org.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Propagate

Postby Propagate » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:50 am

Thanks Queequeg, been on there but unless I've gone mad, I can't see a forum link anywhere on the Audax site?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:00 am

Propagate wrote:Thanks Queequeg, been on there but unless I've gone mad, I can't see a forum link anywhere on the Audax site?
I've never used any forums other than on here, but yes..there is an unofficial Audax Rides forum on here.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:56 pm

There used to be a forum of sorts on the Audax site but like others the spammers got too much of a problem. There are forums / Audax Oz groups here, in Google groups and on Sydney Cyclist, all with slightly different focus.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?from ... m/audax-oz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.sydneycyclist.com/group/audaxriders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welcome to Audax, it is a great motivator, a lot of inspiring riders.
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

Propagate

Postby Propagate » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:04 pm

Thanks guys, I'll hang around here then!

Been drooling over pics of my potential new bike all arvo, and flicking through the ride maps on the Audax site. Some beauties to work through!

I do a fair bit of MTB but of late I've been enjoying back road exploring on my CX bike converted to flat-bar with 40c semi-slicks. I'm only managing to get one ride a week in at the moment, but it's usually a 100ker. Just about explored all of the stuff I can do from home so time for a new bike and some new routes....

Looking at some type of "gravel" bike, drop bars, hydro brakes and plenty of tire clearance. Top of the list at the moment is the Norco Search C105

See you out there! (and in here).

Cheers.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:23 pm

For some historical reason half Audax Au membership is in Victoria and they do a huge number of rides there, every weekend often multiple ride locations, distances etc and all over the place . There is also interest in "gravel grinding" Audax rides as well as more traditional road types. Have a look at the Victorian "permanent" rides as well. Good riding.
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

Propagate

Postby Propagate » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:52 pm

LateStarter wrote:For some historical reason half Audax Au membership is in Victoria and they do a huge number of rides there, every weekend often multiple ride locations, distances etc and all over the place . There is also interest in "gravel grinding" Audax rides as well as more traditional road types. Have a look at the Victorian "permanent" rides as well. Good riding.
I'm super keen on some gravel ones. I missed all the old Gravel Grinder rides that a group ran the last couple of years, doesn't seem like they are running anymore.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:05 pm

Propagate wrote:Thanks guys, I'll hang around here then!

Been drooling over pics of my potential new bike all arvo, and flicking through the ride maps on the Audax site. Some beauties to work through!

I do a fair bit of MTB but of late I've been enjoying back road exploring on my CX bike converted to flat-bar with 40c semi-slicks. I'm only managing to get one ride a week in at the moment, but it's usually a 100ker. Just about explored all of the stuff I can do from home so time for a new bike and some new routes....

Looking at some type of "gravel" bike, drop bars, hydro brakes and plenty of tire clearance. Top of the list at the moment is the Norco Search C105

See you out there! (and in here).

Cheers.
This is my Commuter, which is actually a CX bike.

Stripped back to the original config it would be a great Audax bike.

I'm planning on doing the Haute Route Triple Crown next year, and possibly going n+1 instead of taking my cf race bike. I'm thinking a sweet Ti Sportive with Di2 and a 50/34 crank for the 3 weeks of killer hills.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:42 pm

Quite a few gravel grinders ( mixed surface to varying proportions ) out of ACT and NSW, I don't know the popularity in Victoria but some pending time limit changes specifically for higher content gravel will make them easier ( this is for rides with still significant distances , seperate to existing shorter "dirt series" rides)

Propagate

Postby Propagate » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:22 am

Nice commuter queequeg!!

Maybe we shouldv'e started a "show us your graveller" thread.....

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:29 am

Propagate wrote:Nice commuter queequeg!!

Maybe we shouldv'e started a "show us your graveller" thread.....
Any bike's a graveller if you HTFU :D , just like any bike's an Audax bike. Rather than surface classifications, I look at bikes in terms of time classifications - how long can I ride self-supported on this bike? Queequeg's bike looks like a wonderful all day or light multi-day vehicle. Another bloody Lynskey as well. My wife hates you guys and your sexy bikes, but I can't compete with braces for daughter 2.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:28 am

I am sure we could crowd fund a t-shirt - "I could have had braces" on the front & "but dad bought a lynskey" on the back :D

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:11 pm

find_bruce wrote:I am sure we could crowd fund a t-shirt - "I could have had braces" on the front & "but dad bought a lynskey" on the back :D
Love it. What about one for the orthodontist saying "He chose braces for his kids, so now I have a Lynskey"?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:17 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
find_bruce wrote:I am sure we could crowd fund a t-shirt - "I could have had braces" on the front & "but dad bought a lynskey" on the back :D
Love it. What about one for the orthodontist saying "He chose braces for his kids, so now I have a Lynskey"?
Last time I checked, a titanium implant was more expensive than my Lynskey frame. :lol: