Adelaide to Melbourne

goodbyestu

Adelaide to Melbourne

Postby goodbyestu » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:26 am

Apologies if this isn't the right forum for this, but I'm looking for some route advice for a multi-day Adelaide to Melbourne route.

My mate and I will arrive in Adelaide around 11am on a Friday morning with bikes in boxes. I'm looking at getting to Meningie for the night but not sure about the right way to get there. Some mapping tools are saying that it's possible to get through along the coast from Goolwa along the coast and across the mouth of Lake Alexandrina, while others are saying to go via Tailem Bend to the north of the lake.

Any SA locals with knowledge of this area able to confirm the more southern route is passable?

RonK

Re: Adelaide to Melbourne

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:06 am

goodbyestu wrote:Apologies if this isn't the right forum for this, but I'm looking for some route advice for a multi-day Adelaide to Melbourne route.

My mate and I will arrive in Adelaide around 11am on a Friday morning with bikes in boxes. I'm looking at getting to Meningie for the night but not sure about the right way to get there. Some mapping tools are saying that it's possible to get through along the coast from Goolwa along the coast and across the mouth of Lake Alexandrina, while others are saying to go via Tailem Bend to the north of the lake.

Any SA locals with knowledge of this area able to confirm the more southern route is passable?

This has been discussed before in the touring forum and I have emailed the tourist information centre at Goolwa to ask.

Goolwa to Menningie along the coast

The barrages are definitely not open to public access.

I have seen a report from only one cyclist who says he climbed through a hole in a fence and rode across.

Getting from Victor Harbor to Miningie

The most recent GOR journal is here: Melbourne to Adelaide via GOR, but you will find several other journals by riders who passed that way.[/quote]
Last edited by RonK on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:22 am

goodbyestu wrote:Apologies if this isn't the right forum for this, but I'm looking for some route advice for a multi-day Adelaide to Melbourne route.

I'm not sure you are supposed to, but http://www.roughchop.net/lesser-known-b ... eeky-ride/

goodbyestu

Postby goodbyestu » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Thanks guys! Some great info there and I think we'll just go via Tailem Bend. Sometimes longer might just end up being easier.