Where in Perth can I buy an Electric Recumbent Tricycle

Jwp

Where in Perth can I buy an Electric Recumbent Tricycle

Postby Jwp » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:45 pm

Hi
I have Parkinson's Disease and recently had to sell my much loved Electric (pedal assist) bike as I was falling off it regularly.
My doctor tells me that an Electric Recumbent Tricycle may be the way to go for me... I know I can get one from Flying Furniture in the eastern states. Does anyone know where I could buy the Tricycle in Perth? I'd consider buying a recumbent trike new/used, then having the Electric Pedal Assist fitted to the trike by someone who new how. If your able to help then please contact me on (08) 94486904. Thanks.
Regards
John

John Lewis

Re: Where in Perth can I buy an Electric Recumbent Tricycle

Postby John Lewis » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:13 am

There is a chap down my way with Parkinsons who is ridng a Greenspeed trike with a rear hub motor. He seems to manage it well enough so I think your Dr is right.
I think the through the drivetrain motor set up is better than a hub motor.
Aushiker who posts here has one on a two wheel bent. Might be worth a look.
It would be easily fitted to a trike.

On Sunday I ran into a chap riding an Ice Adventure trike. It has suspension too which is nice.
He was using a StokeMonkey drive train style and said he was pleased with it and the performance.

I asked where he got the trike. He told me he got it from Craig Meyn atJust Bents
Might be worth contacting them.
http://www.justbents.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Contact details on site. Think he is in Cannington.

Hope this is helpful

John

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:44 am

You can purchase a new Greenspeed trike through Garlands of South Perth and have the experts at e-bikes r us at E shed in Fremantle fit the electric motor.
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

Jwp

Postby Jwp » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:21 pm

Thanks a lot for your replies... I caught up with Craig yesterday and will follow up with E-Bikes tomorrow.
In the mean time if anybody knows anything further it much appreciated.
Cheers
John

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:54 am

Take a look into the Bafang 250w crank drive.. I have one on my recumbent trike and I love it... Even comes with a little throttle so you don't always have to pedal, they are rather cheap and well built. And you can put it on any bike and still use your rear gears...
Some recumbent trike brand names
ICE... Uk made super expensive
Greenspeed... Aussy made, expensive
Catrike... USA made, sort of expensive
Performer ( made in Taiwan, super cheap) but still good
Then there are the Velomobiles... Bs level expensive, comes with an outer shell for aerodynamics.
Pm me if you have any questions, if you have the cash i would go with ICE, running on a budget... Go performer

I have the Performer trike X and love it for its suspension,
Don't Panic
And I don't know
Ride casual... Not to casual
They might snap out it's comfortable !!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:18 am

John Lewis wrote:Aushiker who posts here has one on a two wheel bent. Might be worth a look.
It would be easily fitted to a trike.
John
+ 1 to John's suggestion ... the Bafang BBS01 is an easy conversion on a trike from what others have done and based on my experience with a SWB recumbent.

Andrew

geebee

Postby geebee » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:05 am

I have a BBS01 on my trike and it is brilliant but with Parkinsons depending on how severe I think a large geared hub would be a safer long term bet as it doesn't matter what gear you are in or if the gear shift is a bit delayed etc. unless you have very steep hills or need max assistance in which case the BBS01 is unbeatable, fast and climb anything without rider input if needed.
With the BBS01 you need to hit the brake lever lightly (or tap the throttle) to kill the motor before you shift.