Observations after two months' ACT cycling

Marco1710

Observations after two months' ACT cycling

Postby Marco1710 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:29 pm

Thought I might share some observations after a couple of months' cycling in the ACT. I'm not new to cycling, but have recently taken it up again after an absence of close to 20 years and hadn't ridden in the ACT until now. The majority of my cycling has been in the Tuggeranong area, with ventures into Woden on the days I cycle to work. I'd also say about 99% of my cycling has been on the shared path network.

1. The path network is generally very good in terms of upkeep. On the odd occasion I've come across broken glass or sections made difficult by tree roots or dirt washed onto them after rain, but for the most part they are an effective and safe way to get around.

2. The path network generally gets you where you want to go, but (at least according to Google Maps) there are missing links here and there - I've observed suburbs where there are sections of the path network apparently not connected to the rest of the network. Maybe the assumption is that the roads in those suburbs are quiet enough that cyclists can safely use suburban streets to make up the gap - probably a fair assumption. Unfortunately Google Maps doesn't seem to distinguish between paved and unpaved paths, but at least you can work it out in Satellite View.

3. Other cyclists are generally pretty good, behave themselves on paths, give you fair warning when you're about to be passed etc. Motorists are reasonably good too, but bear in mind that my interactions with them are only when I need to cross a road, rarely along it. The exception seems to be teenagers who meander a bit and don't always understand the 'keep left' concept. I have a theory that people who can drive a car make better cyclists as they more instinctively keep left and follow other road protocols; which would explain why people too young to drive are a little clueless in this respect.

4. Pedestrians are a bit hit and miss, if you'll pardon the expression in this case. I've had a few near hits when they do something unpredictable like walk along the wrong side of the path, jump to the right to get out of your way, or walk along with headphones in and meander all over the path. Teenagers, again, seem to be the most clueless.

5. Tuggeranong Town Centre is easy enough to get to on a bike, but a little bit harder to actually navigate the internals of. I took a trip to Bunnings a few weekends back and it felt a little risky to be cycling where there were no paths or bike lane markings - but to be fair, that might just be my inexperience of sharing the road with cars. Certainly though Bunnings is not well equipped for parking bikes, or if it is, it's well hidden.

6. On the whole I'm finding this enjoyable. It's a good, safe, efficient way to get around Canberra and there does seem to be a spirit of camaraderie amongst Canberra's cyclists which is nice to be a part of. I'm not yet at the stage where I would feel comfortable joining a group ride (and in any event I don't know of any!) but it feels like a good thing to be a part of.

lobstermash

Re: Observations after two months' ACT cycling

Postby lobstermash » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:17 pm

Hi Marco. Welcome to cycling in the capital. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but the shared path network really feels like a half finished project from more prosperous times to me. Some bits are great, well connected and maintained, while others randomly end or turn in an unpredictable and impractical direction, have regular coverage of gravel and sand or are severely broken up by tree roots or (ironically) maintenance vehicles.

I have a laugh at the bike parking at Bunnings Tuggeranong every time I go there. There's one rack up near the gas bottles, which just about always has a couple of bikes chained to it. It makes me laugh to think of all the hardware in the store that could be used to DIY more bike racks, yet their bike parking is so poor - especially compared to the extensive carpark!

cp123

Re: Observations after two months' ACT cycling

Postby cp123 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:34 pm

hi marco - in terms of groups there are plenty around. road bunches go from the bike shed at woden most mornings at 6 am. There are various clubs with their own rides on respective days and pedal power has social type rides on every weekend and longer ones - say 60 to 100 kms in their wanderer rides. check the various club websites to see when and where they're on. Vikings is Tuggeranong based although I don't ride with them.