Recommend me some spokes for wheel build...

thecaptn

Recommend me some spokes for wheel build...

Postby thecaptn » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking at building a road wheelset for long distance and training rides. The rear wheel will be 36hole and the front will be 32hole so I can use lighter or bladed spokes but I don't want to blow my budget with overly expensive spokes either.

The rims will be Archetypes, the hubs 105 and I think I can afford to put lighter spokes on the front. What would be good spokes for this type of wheel?

I would appreciate any opinions or advice, thanks in advance,
Pete

RonK

Re: Recommend me some spokes for wheel build...

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:17 pm

I have DT Champions laced with my Archetypes.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:29 pm

DT competition for the rear, revolution for the front. Champs are only straight gauge.

Or supercomps if you want a slightly nicer spoke.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:32 pm

Just bear in mind that the Archetype is a wide and not shallow rim, hence pretty strong. Do you really need 36 spokes rear and 32 spokes front with this rim? In any case, I would use Sapim Race (or DT Competition) spokes. DT Champion is not butted and so less elastic, which actually builds a less reliable wheelset (spokes more likely to break from cyclic stress).

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:00 pm

DT Competition.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:28 pm

biker jk wrote:Just bear in mind that the Archetype is a wide and not shallow rim, hence pretty strong. Do you really need 36 spokes rear and 32 spokes front with this rim? In any case, I would use Sapim Race (or DT Competition) spokes. DT Champion is not butted and so less elastic, which actually builds a less reliable wheelset (spokes more likely to break from cyclic stress).
I probably don't need that many spokes but am wanting strong and stiff and I am a pretty big guy as well.

Thanks for all of the replies, DT Competition looks like a winner,
Pete

cage

Postby cage » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Blakeylonger wrote:DT competition for the rear, revolution for the front.
This^^^
I'm 84kg, (on a good day :wink: ) & run a 28 hole with Revo's on the front without any problems.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:15 am

biker jk wrote:I would use Sapim Race (or DT Competition) spokes. DT Champion is not butted and so less elastic, which actually builds a less reliable wheelset (spokes more likely to break from cyclic stress).
Or so the theory goes, but in recent times I've had several Sapim Race spokes break, but no DT Champions.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:54 am

RonK wrote:
biker jk wrote:I would use Sapim Race (or DT Competition) spokes. DT Champion is not butted and so less elastic, which actually builds a less reliable wheelset (spokes more likely to break from cyclic stress).
Or so the theory goes, but in recent times I've had several Sapim Race spokes break, but no DT Champions.
Quality of the build workmanship would play a part also I suspect.
cage wrote:
Blakeylonger wrote:DT competition for the rear, revolution for the front.
This^^^
I'm 84kg, (on a good day :wink: ) & run a 28 hole with Revo's on the front without any problems.
If I was only 84kg I wouldn't need to build such strong wheels in the first place :mrgreen: